Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Everyone chime in: Surefire x300 versus Streamlight TLR-1

Hello Everyone,

Popular debate, probably old posts related to this one. However, I noticed both models mentioned in the title have received recent upgrades.

Long story short, I used to have a TLR-6 on a 1911 for HD and I loved it. I lost it (luckily without being attached to any firearms). Debating one buying one of the mentioned models listed. Here is some additional info:

Planning on mounting to a full size polymer .45 acp
    Ambidextrous is a must
    no lasers wanted nor needed
    the difference in cost +/- $100 is significant but it is alright if properly warranted
    ability to work on many other firearms is a plus
    ability to co-exist with a range of suppressors is a plus (not for HD but for fun-zies)

This isn't my first rodeo and I realize the surefire is considered superior. I just haven't read anything that convinces me. I could rename the thread "convince me why i should spend another $100 on the surefire".

Show off pictures and trolling encouraged!

Thank you.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Everyone chime in: Surefire x300 versus Streamlight TLR-1

I only have experience with streamlight, and buy their products because they are a SE PA company. Performance aside, I buy local. Furthermore, I have run their kights and they work great.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

I did a comparison a while back. http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=245053

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_NEPhila View Post
    I only have experience with streamlight, and buy their products because they are a SE PA company. Performance aside, I buy local. Furthermore, I have run their kights and they work great.
    Yep, SEPA based, and they make solid products at fair prices.

I can't speak to the TLR1, but I had a Streamlight Vantage for several years, which is basically a TLR1 adapted for fire helmet use (helmet clamp mounting, buddy light, and momentary on disabled). I wasn't part of the busiest fire company out there, but it stood up to the heat, cold, wet and freezing water, and banging around from being on top of a helmet. I'd have no worries about attaching the same product to a firearm and trusting it to work.

(Armstrong County)

Add wrench to the mix.
    Surefire XC1 CMP 200 & 300
    HGW, llc ~ Title 1 & NFA sales/manufacturing ~ Transfers - Title 1 $20 - NFA $50

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by TooBigToFit View Post
    Yep, SEPA based, and they make solid products at fair prices.

I can't speak to the TLR1, but I had a Streamlight Vantage for several years, which is basically a TLR1 adapted for fire helmet use (helmet clamp mounting, buddy light, and momentary on disabled). I wasn't part of the busiest fire company out there, but it stood up to the heat, cold, wet and freezing water, and banging around from being on top of a helmet. I'd have no worries about attaching the same product to a firearm and trusting it to work.
    The mount is one thing I didn't like about the TLR1 - it clamps over the rail with a thumbscrew. If the thumbscrew loosens up, it could fall off. The Surefire slides onto the rail, and is secured with a spring-loaded latch. I've taken a few two and three-day carbine classes, and every class had parts falling off rifles. That's why I don't like thumbscrews.

(Washington County)

Streamlight is now considered duty grade by the pro's, and I haven't found a personal reason to pay the extra for the Surefire. I carry a TLR-1 HL on my G19 everyday and I've done a lot of night shooting with it. No complaints. Changed the batteries twice in 4 years and I leave them in 24/7 (buy good batteries). I don't remove my weapon light and tighten it with a tool so I don't have an issue with the mount not being QD.

The only issue I've had is a few times I was looking at a holster and it was only compatible with the Surefire but not the Streamlight. I was always able to find an equivalent alternative so not really an issue.

I do want a WML with IR capability so I will probably buy a Surefire X300 Vampire eventually.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Chester County)

I have a TLR-1s and a TLR-3. I bought the TLR-3 first and I did have a breakage of the body while shooting, which is a polymer. I took it to the counter at their facility and they gave me a new one no questions asked. No problems with the new one and they did say they changed the polymer. I have the 1s mounted on my CZ SP-01 and I'm very happy with it. I've put thousands if not tens of thousands of rounds through it with zero issues. It has more than enough light and is easy to use, although the strobe feature cumbersome to initiate, I would never try to use it in a tactical situation. I also have a couple of their handhelds and have been very pleased with their products.

The only personal experience I have with Surefire is a handheld and while I don't have any problems with their performance, I do find them overpriced.
    "Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it." — Thomas Paine

(Philadelphia County)

Good call on Streamlight being local. I didn't know that. Thanks for all of the advice. I think the QD aspect is interesting. I do not plan on moving the light around on multiple things often so The tlr-1 seems like it will suit me just fine. I am also not going to be carrying with a pistol light attached so holster compatibility is no big deal (i do carry a great handheld light as an edc). While I love pro-grade stuff, I do not have a career where I have to use firearms as part of work duty.

(Centre County)

I run TLR1s on all my handguns because I prefer the way the momentary on works. For me, pushing down with my support hand and actually firing the weapon works better than pushing on the x300. On my ARs, it’s exactly the opposite. Both my TLR1 (multiple) and x300 have been stone cold reliable.

I used to get Surefire Scout lights for AR/long gun duty but have using the Streamlight ProTac to be a great light for half the price and includes great mounting items and a great pressure switch. Something you pay extra for with a Surefire....
    I don't watch shark week. Sharks watch FLICK week.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast