Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default high power rifle

this is my first year hunting with a rifle. I ve hunted with bow and shotgun. IM not sure what kinda of 30-06 round to use. I ll be hunting in kentucky.Im using rem. corelock. I heard that 30-06 overpenetrates.please help. any other ideas would be great.

(Perry County)

Default Re: high power rifle

30-06 is a great all around caliber. I know plenty of guys who swear by it. I'm also not sure about "over"-penetration. I have yet to shoot a deer where the bullet didn't exit on the other side, and that's max penetration as far as I'm concerned. I really don't think you can go wrong with the .30-06.

(Westmoreland County)

What's this over penetration you speak of? I use 7mm Rem Mag...LOL

New AR15 Forum! www.AlphaRomeo15.org All AR, No Attitude!

(Bucks County)

300 win mag here.

I never had a problem with a deer running off from over penitration.

That being said you didn't say what you are hunting.

I usually carry two different loads with me. One for distance and one for woods. I sit in different spots on the same property. I used to only carry the distance loads. I use Nosler Ballistic tips. There not to good if their close and the velocity is still high. The bullets cause a lot of damage, and tear themselves apart. I switched to a partition for the woods. Works much better, IMO.

I "feel" a lot more confident in the distance loads at long range. They are measurably more accurate than the partitions, and they retain velocity. I have hit anything at long range yet, so I can't say what kind of performance they will have.

Best thing for you to do, IMO, is to pick a load that your gun likes, and not worry too much about over penitration. With that said, don't pick a loading that was designed for varmints. 30-06 is a good round, its killed countless amounts of game accross this continent. I wouldn't worry about over penitration.

Harley

Te .30-06 will be fine, as will the penetration issue. As others have stated, I have yet to shoot a deer where the bullet did not pass through. You will have to be aware of what is behind your target, and should be safe in taking your shot. To be perfectly honest, you shouldn't have any problems with a Remington Core-lokt ammunition, but people (myself included) sometimes prefer other ammunition for hunting.

I have experience with quite a few bullets for hunting. I also use a .300 winmag, and usually push the 180 grain Nosler ballistic tip bullets, although I have some experience with hitting things with the 180 grain Nosler Accubond bullets. If you are shooting an animal close, with a large caliber like the .30-06 or the .300 winmag, most of the time the bullet will NOT have enough time to full expand before it comes out the other side; unless the bullet totally bombs. If you have proper shot placement, it won't matter and isn't a big deal at all. I have shot clean through a deer's heart with the 180 grain Noslery BT, and it never expanded even when it caught a rib on the front side. If you want alot of expansion, hit that shoulder, and even close you'll get plenty of expansion. I know some people that refer to the ballistic tip/accubonds as "accubombs" because sometimes you have one that just goes to $HIT when it hits something. In my experience the accubonds have a bit deeper penetration and usually hold together a little better than the ballistic tip bullets. If it would help, I can PM you some photos of coyotes that have been hit in the head with a 180 grain BT and one with a 150 grain core lokt, also a deer that was hit in the head with a 180 grain BT. I would post them up here, but last time I posted that much gore up; it was taken down by the admin. The deer was hit at 250 yards, a coyote at 300 yards with the BT and the 150 grain at 200 yards. If it'll help you make a decision, I'll be happy to send em to you but they're NOT pretty. Either way, any of the bullets mentioned will get it done. Some other bullets to consider are the barnes SXT's, they hold together well and expand reliably.

thanks alot for the info yea go ahead and send me the pictures. i appreciate it

thanks alot for info

Just my 0.02, but I shoot a 7mm mag. and I only used ballistic tips one time. I shot a deer at close range and ended up not retreiving him. It was a quality shot. I have never had a problem without ballistic tip ammo.

(Perry County)

Yeah as far as ammo is concerned, Remington Core-lokt is pretty good. I used 200 gr core-lokt exclusivley for my .35 Remington until Hornady came out with their LeverEvolution line. I've used Core-lokt in .30-30, .300 Savage, .308 Win and .35 Remington and it's been satisfactory every time.

thanks alot. that 35 rem. is that easy to get ammo. a gun shop has a pump for a couple hundred dollars. thought about getting it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast