Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Mifflin County)

Default Dan Wesson model 44 help

I recently purchased a Dan Wesson 44. Looking at the rear of the gun. The the left side of the hammer is worn. What is the reason for this and does it need fixed.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Dan Wesson model 44 help

When was the gun manufactured? When you say that hammer is worn are we talking about the spur? If so it’s possible it was thumbed back so much that the checkering smoothed out.
    Pictures would help.
    DDG-8 "Sine Timore"

(Mifflin County)

Sorry should have said i was in the process of purchasing. I already have money down. But i recently noticed the hammer. I can put pictures up later on but not till i pick it up. Its not the spur. It is worn on the side of the hammer. Which doesnt make any sense. The bluing is worn off on the left side. But it rubbed off close to the spur. Could it have been holster worn?And i have two other Dan Wessons and the hammers arent blued. Did someone screw with the hammer or is it factory blued?

Do you mean the side of the hammer is rubbing on the frame? IOW, the hammer is not centered in the frame opening. I would imagine it could be shimmed to center it in the opening.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    NRA Benefactor Member

(Mifflin County)

Thats what it seems like. What would have caused it to be off center to begin with? Is shimming it an easy task or should i be paying a gunsmith for that one?

Quote Originally Posted by Tmoyer28 View Post
    Thats what it seems like. What would have caused it to be off center to begin with? Is shimming it an easy task or should i be paying a gunsmith for that one?
    Poor factory QC. I'm not familiar with how a DW breaks down. IIRC, there is no sideplate like a S&W (I have a DW 15-2, but am too lazy to dig it out of the safe). Plus you'll need varying thicknesses of shim stock. Not a big deal but might be cheaper in the long run to let a gunsmith do it - next problem is finding one familiar with DW's.

Belleville huh? It's a bit of a hike, but you might want to give Pinnacle Firearms in Quakertown a call. BTW - I have a house for sale, just over the mountain from you in Pennsylvania Furnace, if you know anyone that's interested.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    NRA Benefactor Member

(Mifflin County)

Thank you for your help and input. I will check with them. Keep the house in mind too if i here anyone looking.

Thank you for your help and input. I will check with them. Keep the house in mind too if i here anyone looking.
    As an added incentive, the house is only about 5 mikes from the Scotia PGC Range - LOL
    NRA Benefactor Member

(Clearfield County)

Dan Wessons are well made and they have a very simple, durable mechanism. I would almost guess it was not reassembled correctly after someone had it apart. I don't know if he is still around but go talk to Dan Pierce or maybe his son Scott in Lewistown if they still have the Outdoor shop. Dan was a very competitive shooter in his day and his business took off during the silhouette era so he has seen many Dan Wessons. If I can be any help shoot me a PM. Hope this helps.

(Centre County)

I have to agree that it probably needs to be shimmed to put it on center. Here's a good place to get them: http://www.triggershims.com

If it is a 15-2 it actually does have a sideplate, the screws are on the left side. Really not hard to take apart to work on the internals. That said, if you are not comfortable doing this yourself any competent gunsmith can do it for you easily and the charge probably won't be much (especially if you supply the shims).
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast