Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Mifflin County)

Default Re: Dan Wesson model 44 help

They're still there at the outdoor shop. I could check with them. I agree they are well made thats why the hammer seemed kind of odd having the bluing wore off on one side. Cylinder lockup and everything seems fine. I dont like the idea that someone drilled and tapped it for a scope and the scope vibration wore off some of the bluing. I have two of the 15-2s and no complaints or issues with them other than the adjustable sights being a little touchy on the one.

(Clearfield County)

Dan Pierce most likely can't fix it but I would bet that he knows someone competent local who could fix it in short order. Here is a link to a large frame disassembly thread. Knowing how they go together, I am still leaning toward it was put back together with something small done wrong. Good luck.

https://www.danwessonforum.com/forum...tutorial-pics/

(Dauphin County)

If it is a model 44 (44 Mag) that is a large frame DW and disassembled more like a Ruger GP100 or RedHawk than a side plate Smith. A picture would certainly help...but as you describe, I am imaging it is just that the Hammer is rubbing the frame as it is cocked back and as it is fired. Not really a big deal at all, I am sure it works fine even with this slight rub, but as was mentioned a shim would also center the hammer and depending on your confidence breaking down the revolver, you should be able to take care of it. I have a few Large frame Dans and a 44, if you want to PM me then maybe we get in touch and I could easily walk you through the process.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12