Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lehigh County)

Default Threaded barrel question

I have a Marlin Papoose 22lr rifle where the previous owner had the barrel threaded 1/2 X 28. I am considering selling the this and was wondering what effect having a threaded barrel has on value? These rifles do not normally come threaded and I do not know of any aftermarket ones, so it is a bit of a rarity.

I can see someone who has a 22 can being more interested than an ordinary buyer. Is this barrel worth more if I sell it separately? I do have a new unthreaded barrel/nut/sights available that I can swap it with. Appreciate anyone sharing their thoughts on this.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Clearfield County)

Default Re: Threaded barrel question

It might make it a quicker sell, but I doubt it adds much to value.

Anybody with a tap & die set can thread a barrel, but not everyone can do it right. Most thread jobs are good enough for a 2" flashhider. Many are NOT good enough for a suppressor. I doubt you can tell from just looking at it; maybe if you screw on a good 10" suppressor and run a laser through it or a boresighter, you might be able to tell if you'd get baffle strikes.

For just sticking a flashhider on, if it threads on it's good enough. So that would be a selling point.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Bucks County)

Put a cheap flash hider or muzzle brake on it and offer it that way. More people will fall for the sexiness.

(Centre County)

Without knowing who threaded it and how it was threaded it might add a couple dollars but not much. You need to know if it was threaded for a flash hider or actually threaded for a suppressor, there is a BIG difference as GL001 alluded to. If the threads are NOT concentric to the bore (and a good gunsmith or machinist knows how to set up their lathe to do this correctly) then there is a good possibility of baffle or end cap strikes if someone just assumes it is good for a suppressor and doesn't check it out. GL001 explains several ways to do it and you can also run a know straight .22 rod through the suppressor and down the barrel to check it. If the rod touches or binds in the suppressor while going down the barrel then the threads were not cut concentric to the barrel and it will probably be a problem for the suppressor (although for a flash hider it is probably good enough due to the design of flash hiders).

One other thing to look at is to examine the threads where they meet the barrel (opposite the muzzle). See if you can see a clearly defined shoulder. If you see a clearly defined area that there are no threads (typically when a barrel is threaded for a suppressor the person threading it will machine the barrel so that there is a flat shoulder that is perpendicular (90 degrees) to the barrel that the suppressor will seat against when it is attached allowing it to be concentric with the bore. If you just see threads ending (like on a threaded bolt) then I would say it's just threaded for a flash hider.

Bang's not wrong either
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    One other thing to look at is to examine the threads where they meet the barrel (opposite the muzzle). See if you can see a clearly defined shoulder. If you see a clearly defined area that there are no threads (typically when a barrel is threaded for a suppressor the person threading it will machine the barrel so that there is a flat shoulder that is perpendicular (90 degrees) to the barrel that the suppressor will seat against when it is attached allowing it to be concentric with the bore. If you just see threads ending (like on a threaded bolt) then I would say it's just threaded for a flash hider.

Bang's not wrong either
    Here's a picture.
    thd muzz.jpg
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Armstrong County)

Yup, thats a threaded barrel

Even with a shoulder present, it still doesn't mean the threads are concentric to the bore.

For added value, zero. You wont get the $75-125 for cost of being threaded out of it when selling.
    Spin a flash hider on it or a thread protector and sell it.
    HGW, llc ~ Title 1 & NFA sales/manufacturing ~ Transfers - Title 1 $20 - NFA $50

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by gghbi View Post
    Here's a picture.
    thd muzz.jpg
    That looks like a machinist threaded that barrel for sure. The barrel behind the threading was turned down.

I'd lean towards thinking that it was done properly.

But for value, it probably doesn't add much of anything - except to a person who wants to purchase the gun specifically to suppress it. And to that type of person it may take a hit because the threading has a buggered section.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Bucks County)

That buggered area just might stop an accessory from going on. I'd try to dress it with a thread file until it's acceptable or functional.
    Last edited by Bang; January 7th, 2018 at 05:51 PM.

The beginning of the threads look damaged...not to mention the barrel looks like hell. Well, the little bit we can see from the picture.