Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 41
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Allegheny County)
    Posts
    992
    Rep Power
    4473638

    Default Re: How early can I reapply for my CC permit before it expires.

    Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    I don't reapply until mine actually expires. As long as individuals remain legally qualified, they fall under an exception for six months beyond the expiration date on their LTCF. That's plenty of time for the sheriff to issue another, given his/her statutory limit of 45 days max to either issue or deny.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    Bad advise. That's a defense not an exemption. That means lawyer/ judge/ money/ time. You have been lucky that's all.

    My sheriff agrees with gnbrotz.

    From the website :Question: I was told that there is now a grace period of firearms licenses. Is this true?

    A: Yes. Title 18, Section 6106 b(12) now clearly states that as long as you are eligible to renew your license, said license is still valid for six months beyond the printed expiration date on the card.
    Link: Scroll to bottom of page.

    http://www.sheriffalleghenycounty.com/firearms_FAQ.html
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=22341&dateline=139092  6582

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Glockin, Pennsylvania
    (Montgomery County)
    Posts
    2,037
    Rep Power
    13943948

    Default Re: How early can I reapply for my CC permit before it expires.

    In my opinion reapply 2 months before expiry as long as your sheriff will do that. Or hell even sooner... Montco is 2 months out.

    6 months of licensure costs $2. That's not worth possibly getting caught up by some officer who is ignorant to the 6 month post-expiry exception. I'd only use the 6 months in an emergency that prevents you from renewing (traveling for work, in the hopsital, deployed, etc)
    Last edited by jthrelf; January 7th, 2018 at 11:24 AM.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Mohnton, Pennsylvania
    (Berks County)
    Posts
    4,729
    Rep Power
    21474846

    Default Re: How early can I reapply for my CC permit before it expires.

    Yes. It's the law. Cops always follow the law. No need for lawyers, judges, juries. We have a uniform firearm law too. And no registry either in Pa. Now take your 5 month expired license to Philly and open carry. Then tell me how the inside of the roundhouse looks, who your lawyer was and the name of the judge who dismissed your case. I never said the law didn't give you a break on the expiration, I said it terrible advise to plan to carry on an expired license and not explain to the person your mileage may vary. Your not breaking the law and you might not have any problems. If its not expired you won't, except for that one guy at the gas station, he had a license and the cop shot him anyway.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    zelienople, Pennsylvania
    (Beaver County)
    Posts
    701
    Rep Power
    20668699

    Default Re: How early can I reapply for my CC permit before it expires.

    The Peoples Republic of Philadelphia is not part of the state of Pennsylvania.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Erie, Pennsylvania
    (Erie County)
    Posts
    5,869
    Rep Power
    21474849

    Default Re: How early can I reapply for my CC permit before it expires.

    Quote Originally Posted by K.C. View Post
    My sheriff agrees with gnbrotz.

    From the website :Question: I was told that there is now a grace period of firearms licenses. Is this true?

    A: Yes. Title 18, Section 6106 b(12) now clearly states that as long as you are eligible to renew your license, said license is still valid for six months beyond the printed expiration date on the card.
    Link: Scroll to bottom of page.
    http://www.sheriffalleghenycounty.com/firearms_FAQ.html
    (12) A person who has a lawfully issued license to carry a firearm pursuant to section 6109 (relating to licenses) and that said license expired within six months prior to the date of arrest and that the individual is otherwise eligible for renewal of the license.
    The problem is the officer would NOT know if one was eligible for renewal at the time of the arrest.

    Is the officer going to make you fill out the LTCF form, then run it thru NICS, or PICS? No, that is the sheriff's job.

    In this case, it would not be up to the officer to decide, so it is probably not good advice to carry an expired LTCF, and risk the arrest.


    As always, IANAL, and YMMV.
    Quote Originally Posted by cdi View Post
    A drop leg holster? A big clue indicating an Operator operating operationally, of course.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    North Penn area, Pennsylvania
    Age
    58
    Posts
    2,480
    Rep Power
    21474847

    Default Re: How early can I reapply for my CC permit before it expires.

    Reapply?

    Took about 20min to renew mine.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pittston, Pennsylvania
    (Luzerne County)
    Posts
    4,521
    Rep Power
    21136663

    Default Re: How early can I reapply for my CC permit before it expires.

    Quote Originally Posted by abner13 View Post
    Reapply?

    Took about 20min to renew mine.
    Where did you find the renewal form?
    Don't be an ass.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania
    (Lehigh County)
    Posts
    1,793
    Rep Power
    21474842

    Default Re: How early can I reapply for my CC permit before it expires.

    Quote Originally Posted by normanvin View Post
    Where did you find the renewal form?
    Info: http://www.luzernecounty.org/county/...ermit_division
    Form: http://www.luzernecounty.org/uploads...0(10-2012).pdf
    Form is good state wide. Need to print on both sides of the paper for some locations.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

  9. #19
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Chambersburg, Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)
    Age
    47
    Posts
    10,666
    Rep Power
    13781848

    Default Re: How early can I reapply for my CC permit before it expires.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gun View Post
    The problem is the officer would NOT know if one was eligible for renewal at the time of the arrest.

    Is the officer going to make you fill out the LTCF form, then run it thru NICS, or PICS? No, that is the sheriff's job.

    In this case, it would not be up to the officer to decide, so it is probably not good advice to carry an expired LTCF, and risk the arrest.


    As always, IANAL, and YMMV.
    Have you heard of "presumed innocence"? The officer can't just assume you are now prohibited or require you to prove it just because he "wants to be sure". Just like they can't randomly pull you over "just to be sure" you have a driver's license. There has to be probable cause of some violation (as I mentioned before).

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Erie, Pennsylvania
    (Erie County)
    Posts
    5,869
    Rep Power
    21474849

    Default Re: How early can I reapply for my CC permit before it expires.

    Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    Have you heard of "presumed innocence"? The officer can't just assume you are now prohibited or require you to prove it just because he "wants to be sure". Just like they can't randomly pull you over "just to be sure" you have a driver's license. There has to be probable cause of some violation (as I mentioned before).
    Doesn't the presumption of innocence apply in the court room, and not with the arresting officer?
    Quote Originally Posted by cdi View Post
    A drop leg holster? A big clue indicating an Operator operating operationally, of course.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. do i have to reapply for LTCF for moving to another county
    By joebear in forum Concealed & Open Carry
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: January 2nd, 2016, 12:06 AM
  2. Able to carry concealed after permit expires?
    By SSBlack86 in forum Concealed Carry
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: September 18th, 2013, 01:06 PM
  3. When to reapply for LTCF
    By das in forum Concealed Carry
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: June 6th, 2012, 08:33 PM
  4. Moving from philly to montco. need to reapply?
    By Tiny in forum Concealed Carry
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: March 30th, 2011, 01:32 PM
  5. Do I need to reapply when moving within PA?
    By PaTom in forum Concealed Carry
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: July 22nd, 2010, 02:12 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Local gun shops | Local shooting ranges | Philadelphia Shooting Ranges | Philadelphia Gun Shops | Pittsburgh Shooting Ranges | Pittsburgh Gun Shops