Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Shipping Ammunition

I am thinking about doing some prairie dog hunting out west this summer. I will fly out & will check in my rifle. I will want to go out with 1000 rounds or so, and do not believe that I can check this much in. Can I ship the ammo beforehand? If so, which shipper would give me the least hassle.

EDIT: I will be loading my own ammo. Spent too much time developing loads - store bought ammo is just not an option. No point in going out west & just be able to shoot 2 MOA.
    Last edited by MMH; January 7th, 2018 at 08:32 AM.

(York County)

Default Re: Shipping Ammunition

Quote Originally Posted by MMH View Post
    I am thinking about doing some prairie dog hunting out west this summer. I will fly out & will check in my rifle. I will want to go out with 1000 rounds or so, and do not believe that I can check this much in. Can I ship the ammo beforehand? If so, which shipper would give me the least hassle.
    Dunno details, but whenever I -order- ammo (typically in at least 1,000-round quantities), it invariably arrives via UPS... Probably for a reason.
    DGAF

Quote Originally Posted by MMH View Post
    I use both FedEX and UPS without any issues. But, pricing isn't cheap. That being said, it would probably make more sense to order online about a week before and have it shipped to the location you're going to out there since companies get higher discounted rates.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by iMoses14 View Post
    I use both FedEX and UPS without any issues. But, pricing isn't cheap. That being said, it would probably make more sense to order online about a week before and have it shipped to the location you're going to out there since companies get higher discounted rates.
    If you decide on this option make sure your CC company does not cancel order because shipping address does not align with mailing address.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by iMoses14 View Post
    If you do that, consider even more than a week ahead.

The places I normally order (for best price) are awfully slow to get stuff out the door... I have an ammo order in with PA (nothing crazy, just bulk Federal .223) as of 1/3 that is still in "processing" mode today (1/6 - Saturday, and thus unlikely to be 'shipped' until Monday 1/8 at best), e.g.

Sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com another often-well-priced venue that has also been notably slow-to-ship in the past.

outdoorlimited.com, by contrast, normally quite prompt (e.g. typically ships out 1 biz day from order)

I'm NOT 'bashing' anyone (mentioned above or otherwise) for their shipping policy. If one part of getting ammo cheap is accepting it takes them a week to get it in the mail, fine. But know what you're getting. Ask your chosen venue how long to 'process' the order and take that into account. Nothing would suck worse than ordering ammo to be delivered to your destination... then getting there to shoot and finding no ammo.
    DGAF

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by RenoV8 View Post
    If you decide on this option make sure your CC company does not cancel order because shipping address does not align with mailing address.
    Very good point. Agree. It's a shame when folks can't handle this up-front and just say "no" when you order to a different shipping address. Having an order canceled a day or two later is not helpful (but happens).
    DGAF

(Bucks County)

Is it specialty ammo or something you can just get at a local Wal-Mart?

-Zach

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by zachomega View Post
    Is it specialty ammo or something you can just get at a local Wal-Mart?

-Zach
    Just gonna say this since I've calculated it over and over and over again.

IF it's somethign Wally World carries...

If you buy ammo at wally world on a good day vs. best deal online, I find you'll save about 20% online. Sure, there are times WW has it on sale and you can get the same as online. There are also times you get a deal online and save 40% vs. WW best price. But on the whole... about 20% difference.

I -frequently- find it's worth paying 20% more in order to have it right now today, FWIW. Wally-world is a totally viable option on the time/cost spectrum, IMHO.

I tend to buy ammo online in bulk, to maintain my stockpile, and time is NOT of the essence. I tend to buy ammo at WM when I need a hundred-or-two rounds right away.

It's well worth considering what zachomega says. If you can get it at WM for 'not that much more' and have it guaranteed, in your hand now... I think that's often 'worth it'. Especially if you're making a special trip to go shooting and having the ammo is a make-or-break-the-trip consideration.
    DGAF

(Centre County)

Where "out West" (location and/or nearest large town) and what caliber/loading are you going to be shooting? There may be an ammo maker near by that you can order and have it held until you pick it up, or a good size gun store that buys ammo in bulk that might have a good price (if it's a fairly common caliber/load).
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Blair County)

I have found UOS, at least in Blair County to be the best. If shipping Ground to the lower 48, ammo ships same as any other thing, no surcharge or hazmat fees. See this link:

https://www.ups.com/us/en/help-cente...munition.page?

I have found that UPS is reliable and on-time. Better that relying on some third party, Walmart, Cheaper Than ___, just yourself. I do ship form a UPS center, not a service center or pick-up or forwarder. In my county they open at 3PM so that is a hassle. They don't often have the required ORM-D label, so I have printed some on a color printer, use one and give the rest to the counter person (builds goodwill), but I am a frequent shipper. You can print one, or more, using the link provided.
    Steve

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast