Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Re: New 7 shot GP100 snub is here

Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    I’d like to see how far the flame shoots out from that short barrel !
    I have a Ruger LCR 357 and shoot 158 grain Magtech 357 magnum sjhp through it. The flame isn’t that noticeable, at least from the shooter’s viewpoint.

Edit to add: surprisingly it didn’t kick as much as my father in law’s 686 plus with 2.5” barrel
    "The Constitution is the guide which I will not abandon.” - George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by philadelphia patriot View Post
    I have a Ruger LCR 357 and shoot 158 grain Magtech 357 magnum sjhp through it. The flame isn’t that noticeable, at least from the shooter’s viewpoint.

Edit to add: surprisingly it didn’t kick as much as my father in law’s 686 plus with 2.5” barrel
    The lower bore axis, coupled with the polymer grip frame of the LCR, probably gave the impression of less felt recoil. The 686 and this GP100 have higher bore axis's than the 5 shot revolvers. Higher bore axis will cause more muzzle rise.

I know that an N-frame 357 actually felt like more recoil than my GP100 4 inch, with identical magnum loads. It was due to the higher bore axis of the larger frame.

(Cumberland County)

Damn you to hell, now I want one. That's one sexy revolver !
    "Tastefully Pimptastic"

(Blair County)

Im holding out for Colt to make a new .357 or .44.... Hopefully they will be as perfect as the original colt revolvers....time will tell. I know the Rugers are workhorses but to me they are pretty ugly and look they they were made by a machine. A blued Colt looks like a piece of art. Sold my KingCobra 4" blued for $250 back in the 90s.....they are goin for like 1500 now.

Quote Originally Posted by Edg View Post
    Im holding out for Colt to make a new .357 or .44.... Hopefully they will be as perfect as the original colt revolvers....time will tell. I know the Rugers are workhorses but to me they are pretty ugly and look they they were made by a machine. A blued Colt looks like a piece of art. Sold my KingCobra 4" blued for $250 back in the 90s.....they are goin for like 1500 now.
    Ruger double actions tend to look more like the cowboy single-actions in terms of lines and profile. I do like the lines of S&W better, but I have not had good experience with their recent quality control (every single 686P I've looked at, and it's a lot of them, had canted barrels off to the right or left). What I really like about Rugers is their extremely robust yoke tube, which can withstand at least twice the amount of magnum rounds over the other makers before endshake goes out of spec. Also, you'll never see a Ruger Double action go out of time. S&W and Colt need maintenance in that respect.

Each revolver company has its strength and weaknesses.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by philadelphia patriot View Post

The plastic deforms and soaks up forces.

(Allegheny County)

Oh no more GP100's Love em !!
    i am still trying to figure out what to sell to buy the GP100 22lr My fav is the 6" I will need to look at one one of the new 7 shots to see how thin the wall of the cylinder is between each cartridge hole. I never cared for the 7 shot S&W as i just couldn't get past the narrow metal and always in my head is this mantra - its only as strong as its weakest point....

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by American1776 View Post
    but I have not had good experience with their recent quality control (every single 686P I've looked at, and it's a lot of them, had canted barrels off to the right or left).
    Yup sold a 686 that had a canted barrel. Called S&W and got conflicting responses as to the fix, so I sent it down the line. Simply won't own a S&W with the lock hole, That is the ugliest, stupidest thing I have ever seen, now if Ruger could somehow get the instruction manual warning off the barrel that would be great.

Redhawk 8 shot 357.

(Lycoming County)

Hmmm

This thread has me wanting to take the old gal out for a walk today. I'll have to make do with only 6 though.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast