Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Re: Please help me understand the status of my stripped lower receivers.

I have a follow up question regarding the 26" overall length for a pistol/handgun.

How is the 26" measured...from what point on the stabilizing support to the barrel on pistol? Is the muzzle brake part of the measurement? Looking for one concise, 100% correct answer.

Finding the right answers seems to be elusive...

(Erie County)

Default Re: Please help me understand the status of my stripped lower receivers.

Quote Originally Posted by RenoV8 View Post
    I have a follow up question regarding the 26" overall length for a pistol/handgun.

How is the 26" measured...from what point on the stabilizing support to the barrel on pistol? Is the muzzle brake part of the measurement? Looking for one concise, 100% correct answer.

Finding the right answers seems to be elusive...
    https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/at...ter-2/download

Pg. 9

NOTE: One version of the Marble’s Game Getter was produced with 18-inch barrels and a folding shoulder stock. This model of the Game Getter, as manufactured, is not subject to the provisions of the NFA because it has barrels that are 18 inches in length and the overall length of the firearm, with stock extended, is more than 26 inches.
    Overall length is with stock extended.

Pg. 6

The ATF procedure for measuring barrel length is to measure from the closed bolt (or breech-face) to the furthermost end of the barrel or permanently attached muzzle device.
    Measurement is with stock extended, and includes a permanently attached muzzle device, if so equipped, or it is from end of muzzle to other fixed end, measured along bore axis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Fayette County)

So what happens if a few years ago I bought a virgin lower and the FFL filled out the PICS paperwork as a PISTOL?
    (As a side note the lower was forged to say "Pistol" next to the SN#)
    I realize now that the FFL made the mistake, but how does this effect the firearm in regards to State Police or ATF if the FFL processed the paperwork as a pistol ?
    Does it make it an illegal firearm in anyway?
    "One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
    So what happens if a few years ago I bought a virgin lower and the FFL filled out the PICS paperwork as a PISTOL?
    (As a side note the lower was forged to say "Pistol" next to the SN#)
    I realize now that the FFL made the mistake, but how does this effect the firearm in regards to State Police or ATF if the FFL processed the paperwork as a pistol ?
    Does it make it an illegal firearm in anyway?

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/can-...tering-firearm

Assuming that the firearm was originally a pistol, the resulting firearm, with an attached shoulder stock, is not an NFA firearm if it has a barrel of 16 inches or more in length. Pursuant to ATF Ruling 2011-4, such rifle may later be unassembled and again configured as a pistol. Such configuration would not be considered a “weapon made from a rifle” as defined by 26 U.S.C. § 5845(a)(4).

(Fayette County)

Yeah, I appreciate it.
    But I was asking purely about the legalities of the lower.
    Since the FFL processed it wrong on his forms as a pistol, does that in anyway make the lower a "problem".
    "One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli

(Erie County)

Yeah, I appreciate it.
    Since the FFL processed it wrong on his forms as a pistol, does that in anyway make the lower a "problem".
    No. Your receipt from the vendor has it as a stripped lower, and that is how it was manufactured.

Yeah, I appreciate it.
    Paperwork is only "some evidence" of how it was physically configured. The statutes which apply are determined by the actual physical attributes of a gun, not by what someone wrote on a form. Your FFL could describe your 16" barreled AR-15 with a shoulder stock as a "pistol", but that wouldn't allow you to make it a pistol. The reality trumps the paperwork; in addition, there's other paperwork at the manufacturer and the wholesaler that would be used to prosecute you if you made a pistol from a rifle without ATF approval.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Fayette County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    Paperwork is only "some evidence" of how it was physically configured. The statutes which apply are determined by the actual physical attributes of a gun, not by what someone wrote on a form. Your FFL could describe your 16" barreled AR-15 with a shoulder stock as a "pistol", but that wouldn't allow you to make it a pistol. The reality trumps the paperwork; in addition, there's other paperwork at the manufacturer and the wholesaler that would be used to prosecute you if you made a pistol from a rifle without ATF approval.
    Good to know, thanks.

(Montgomery County)

I was just having this conversation with a local gun shop and was also confused.

Question- there is an online retailer selling Colt Lower receivers in two versions - “virgin” and non virgin. The Virgin is about $30 more. I’m assuming that the other lowers may be taken off complete rifles. As a PA resident does it make any difference which one I would get and have an FFL transfer?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Oldstate View Post
    I was just having this conversation with a local gun shop and was also confused.

Question- there is an online retailer selling Colt Lower receivers in two versions - “virgin” and non virgin. The Virgin is about $30 more. I’m assuming that the other lowers may be taken off complete rifles. As a PA resident does it make any difference which one I would get and have an FFL transfer?

Thanks
    Depends on whether you're concerned about Federal or PA laws.

You can transfer a stripped lower as a non-firearm within PA. But you can't make a pistol from a lower that was part of a rifle in the past, that's an NFA SBR.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast