Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: milsurp revolvers - need recommendations

I can't think of an actual true milsurp pistol (besides a Nagant) that is under $250 right now. Maybe a parts piece someone dug up but not a working piece you could use. As Scruff mentioned an ex police model 10 is your best bet. They were originally a military pistol and I still think it is a pistol every gun owner should have. I have a model 15 (same frame with adjustable sights) and it is very accurate and the trigger is like glass. I shoot it all the time. They are about $50 more than a Model 10 but with adjustable sites can be used for target shooting and is a great range revolver.

(Tioga County)

I've seen S&W Model 10s that run from upper $200s to around $400.

If you want something cool that few have, get a Manurhin MR 73, the choice of French and Austrian counter terror units. Century has brought in small batches for about 8 years. Occasionally AIM or Classic has them but the best place is Gunbroker. When supplies are good they can be had for $500-$700, when supplies dry up prices rise.

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    You can check Southern Ohio Guns (SOG) for a number of different S&W surplus revolver offerings. They are typically not the cheapest but they tend to have them in stock.
    Neat - they have some neat California Dept. of Corrections Model 10-10's with rack tags for $339. You could say your gun guarded Charles Manson or another felon of choice.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    Neat - they have some neat California Dept. of Corrections Model 10-10's with rack tags for $339. You could say your gun guarded Charles Manson or another felon of choice.

I saw some of the Ca department of corrections Model 10 pistols a year or two ago. Make sure you check on the condition before you buy one because the ones I saw were beat to hell. Most police surplus I have seen has some holster wear but they are tight internally and have been not been shot much. Surprisingly the correction pistols were loose and had deep score marks all around the cylinder from the stop. Like 10's of thousands of rounds went thru it, much more than a police firearm.

How they got that much action is a mystery to me.

(Indiana County)

DOC guns usually see more use since they are more communal than assigned. The revolver I uses at the Elizabethtown Academy had seen probably thousands of rounds in its life compared to a few hundred a year for an issued piece that just does qualification once or twice a year with its assigned officer.

(Lycoming County)

Just to throw another option out there, I picked up an Astra police revolver from Robertson's Trading post a couple months ago and couldn't be happier with it. They have them from $219-$269 in different grades. Search it on GunBroker.

Here's one listing: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/722460622

Here's a quick YouTube video I did on it. I'm probably going to do a full range review in the future. Too friggin cold out now.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post

I bought one of these at the Harrisburg gun show either last March or the previous March, $275 I believe was the price, do not remember the vendor. Had some muzzle blueing loss and the wood grips certainly have character! I would not worry about taking mine in the woods. It operates very well though I am not an expert.
    Let's go Brandon!!!

(Chester County)

Smith and Wesson Model 36 Chief's Special. They will be a little more than $250.

Check around the gun shops in your area and classified on Poofa. Leave the Taurus revolvers in the display case.

Before you buy a used revolver watch.

Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Centre County)

You can also check here: http://www.jgsales.com/ they carry a lot of used/milsurp/other handguns
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

I remember when you could buy surplus M1917 revolvers from an ad in Shotgun News for $100. Not no mo...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast