Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Northampton County)

Default Mossberg M151M-B....feed troubles

Wondering if anyone has any experience with this model. The rifle was my Grandfathers and I'd like to get it going again. The rifle will chamber the first round and fire it. The next round (every time) will jam just as the bullet touches the ramp. I had the rifle at a local guy who couldn't figure it out. Any help/direction would be great. Thanks!

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Mossberg M151M-B....feed troubles

I'd be willing to look at it.
    Trigger Time llc.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Northampton County)

Ok. Give me a number to call. I'll give you the full run down. Thanks, Mike

(Monroe County)

PM sent
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(York County)

I have the 151K, which I believe is the same receiver assembly in the short stock. Yours has the feed tube from the rear of the stock correct? I've had mine a part a few times and work on these occasionally. If the other guy doesn't work, give me a PM. Should be straightforward to fix.

(Northampton County)

Yes, it feeds from the rear. Ok, thanks.

(York County)

My guess is the feed rod spring is weak, not pushing the round sufficiently in time for the bolt to catch the rim of the cartridge and chamber it. If you run out of options, I'd be glad to look at it.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by jmiles1960 View Post
    My guess is the feed rod spring is weak, not pushing the round sufficiently in time for the bolt to catch the rim of the cartridge and chamber it. If you run out of options, I'd be glad to look at it.
    It's a new feed rod/spring/tube assembly. Unless the parts that were changed were aftermarket (I can't be sure) and are sub-standard to what mossy had.... But I get what you're saying. I'm no dummy when it comes to mechanical things (I build MC roadracing engines for a living), but I'm also not a proper gunsmith by any means haha. I was hoping it would be a simple fix I could handle if someone had a avenue to send me down. I appreciate all of you who have responded to the thread. Once I have some extra free time, I'll get it out to one of you. Thanks a bunch!

(York County)

I understand where you're coming from. Like any mechanical problem, troubleshooting takes time and hands on experience; toss in a little gut feel too.

Next place I would check would be the bolt spring; might be too weak or wrong tension.

From there, any surface irregularity around the chamber / feed area. All things you probably are thinking of as well. Anyway, I have the same rifle and if we get chance to meet up, would be glad to take a look at yours. I do PT gunsmithing as a hobby and have built / repaired dozens of weapons. Mossbergs are my favorite. Should you ever want to part with that one, LMK. I don't have the full length "M" stock model like yours.

BTW, have you tried different brand(s) of .22 ammo? Just thinking... I've seen a variety of bullet shapes and if by some odd chance you had something this old rifle didn't handle....