Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
    (Blair County)

Default Re: More rounds vs. more power (e.g. 9mm vs. .45)

All shot placement being equal there will be no difference between these two calibers or a .40......You gotta got 10mm or bigger to notice any difference in power. So ill take 17 over 9 rounds.

(Chester County)

If you're going to grab a .45 don't grab one of those crap guns you grab one that's reliable and accurate a Sig P220. If you need a 9mm you grab a Sig P226. Pretty simple everything else is just a wannabe.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Bucks County)

The wide variety of calibers, capacities, and ammo exists for several reasons. One of these is that each is perceived to be better by some folks (and may well be better) for certain purposes.

If I could predict the future, I’d certainly arm for the specific threat I knew was coming. The choice would include selection of the appropriate caliber, size/capacity of pistol/rifle, and ammo type. But my ability to predict the future is . . . well, let’s call it “spotty” 😊.

So I arm with (A) what I actually *can* and *will* carry that can (B) best counter the variety of threats that are possible given (C) my reaction to them. (Choice of carry can certainly differ from choice in a nightstand or safe room scenario where at least the encounter environment is pretty much defined.)

One very possible threat in any situation is more than one assailant. One likely personal reaction is a significant case of nerves lol. So, for me, round count is *much* more important than relatively small differences in “stopping power”.

9mm wins for carry, no matter the size of the pistol I *can* carry, nor how many mags I routinely have/take with me. 9mm also wins for “nightstand” in my home, though your environment/choice may vary. Safe room would be sidearm plus an AR15 with 30-round mags . . . and probably more lol.

(Lancaster County)

9mm can kill 3 nazis at a time.

Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

I've tried the hi-cap 9mm platform, and it just didn't fit my needs. All that ammo made the pistol larger and heavier than a comparable sized single stack.

My carry guns are now 45 acp or 357 magnum. I like really powerful pistol cartridges, even if I have roughly half the ammo than a comparable sized double-stack 9mm.

(Allegheny County)

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    9mm can kill 3 nazis at a time.

Well, only with German parabellum ammo.

Indy amazed at the power of the Walther.

That's because he's used to his .455 Webley.

(Philadelphia County)

i am pretty much living this 9 vs 45 situation now so i am liking this thread...

i shoot my shield 45 very well (amazed at how well out of the box this shoots) and shoot my shield 9 very well & getting there with my glock 19.
    there is a company called magguts that sells a spring kit to get +1/+2 in your stock shield 9 mag to get essentially a 9+1 single stack (out of the the 8rd factory mag), making that single stack VERY concealable/ handy.
    i wrote that company begging for the same kit for the shield 45 - being able to go 8+1 45acp in the 7rd factory mag would be insane conceal for 45acp single stack (that i shoot well)

for a while i carried a tk custom LCR 357mag that i had machined so i could shoot 357mag/ 9mm (with moonclips)/ 38spl - pointed great, fast acquisition, good close up, one hand affair, and i could pick my loading/ caliber between 357/9/38!

but then i read somewhere (i know, i know) that under stress - think they said police officers actually - 'hit' 1 out of 5 times... and i thought, hey i go to the range but do i TRAIN, TRAIN? and that revolver translated into 1 hit (out of 5)

all that said... it's hard to deny the glock 19 with it's 15+1 (or insert semi-concealable doublestack here).
    right now i just hate the grip angle & finger grooves on my G19 (otherwise i would carry that); but that is why i am pursing a frame mod (delete finger grooves, grip reduction, stipple, trigger guard undercuts)

i figure when i want to carry 'lite' - i will go shield 9/45 - that debate will go on forever for me personally
    when not, glock 19

i just cant shake that shield 45 though because i have a marlin 1894 45LC lever converted to 45acp and i like sharing the caliber between my lever and pistol; 45 hits so hard, so gratifying to plink with.
    Last edited by bugout; January 3rd, 2018 at 10:01 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by KCJones View Post
    I'm sincerely glad you didn't have permanent disability from it. I'm sure it was no more 'fun' than mine (which was very similar - through the palm, nothing too important hit, I didn't even press charges against my IDIOT cousin responsible...). In fact I bet it was worse.
    Skimming the details of the story...I was 10 years old....absent parents....brother calls ambulance....hospital....no way to reach parents for hours on end......Commonwealth Attorney approval for surgery....investigation...child services...blah blah blah. So yeah, it was probably worse (:

I haven't logged on to this forum in 4 years and we're still debating this crap? Everyone knows 10mm is superior to all other handgun calibers.

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast