Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast
    (Wayne County)

Default Re: More rounds vs. more power (e.g. 9mm vs. .45)

9mm.. I'd go with more rounds, lighter recoil (more accuracy)

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Will3212 View Post
    9mm.. I'd go with more rounds, lighter recoil (more accuracy)
    That's cool, so long as we understand the original intent of the question was really about CC pistols and (at least for me) double-stack 9mm's don't count as comfortably concealable. So for "more rounds" you're talking ~1 more round per mag for 9mm, not double.

And FWIW, my own accuracy and cycle-time is really no better/worse with 9mm vs. .45...

My home-defense pistol remains a double-stack 9mm for exactly the reason of "more rounds."

But for concealed carry, my practical choice is basically 8 rounds of .45 vs. 9 rounds of 9mm. Personally I'll take the heavier hit of the .45 versus one more shot.
    DGAF

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by KCJones View Post
    That's cool, so long as we understand the original intent of the question was really about CC pistols and (at least for me) double-stack 9mm's don't count as comfortably concealable. So for "more rounds" you're talking ~1 more round per mag for 9mm, not double.

And FWIW, my own accuracy and cycle-time is really no better/worse with 9mm vs. .45...

My home-defense pistol remains a double-stack 9mm for exactly the reason of "more rounds."

But for concealed carry, my practical choice is basically 8 rounds of .45 vs. 9 rounds of 9mm. Personally I'll take the heavier hit of the .45 versus one more shot.
    why not go for a 9mm CC pistol with more rounds like a G19

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Will3212 View Post
    why not go for a 9mm CC pistol with more rounds like a G19
    Because it's an inch longer, slightly taller, and (probably most important) 25% (1/4") wider than my shield .45, which pushes it past my comfort level for daily CC. I have found <1" width is absolutely vital for CC.

It's just math: No double-stack 9mm can be slim enough for me to use it as primary CC. Any single-stack 9mm won't give me enough extra rounds to 'offset' the bigger caliber (IMHO).
    Last edited by KCJones; January 4th, 2018 at 12:49 PM.
    DGAF

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    So if you were to go shoot something smaller like Brussels sprouts in let's say California you could remove it from the map?
    Maybe. It may take the whole west coast though. But that wouldn't be a big deal I guess.

(Blair County)

What heavier hit? both hit with 450ish energy? Personally i carry a G26 comfortably in all weather which gives me 12 rounds....50% more.

(Blair County)

Quote Originally Posted by American1776 View Post
    I've tried the hi-cap 9mm platform, and it just didn't fit my needs. All that ammo made the pistol larger and heavier than a comparable sized single stack.

My carry guns are now 45 acp or 357 magnum. I like really powerful pistol cartridges, even if I have roughly half the ammo than a comparable sized double-stack 9mm.
    so why carry a .45?

(Allegheny County)

Because it's an inch longer, slightly taller, and (probably most important) 25% (1/4") wider than my shield .45, which pushes it past my comfort level for daily CC. I have found <1" width is absolutely vital for CC.

It's just math: No double-stack 9mm can be slim enough for me to use it as primary CC. Any single-stack 9mm won't give me enough extra rounds to 'offset' the bigger caliber (IMHO).

I'm right there with you on all of this.

I've heard the often touted "It's not supposed to be comfortable, it's supposed to be comforting" bullshit.

Screw that. After FINALLY getting a single stack 9mm that's slim enough to carry OWB, I have seen the light.
    I don't even want to carry my pea shooters IWB now!

Bulky-assed Glocks? You can have them. You can carry them comfortably? Concealed? IWB and OWB? Good for you - I can't - and won't.

Yeah, given a choice of a 45 or a 9mm Shield, I'd probably choose the 45. I chose the 9mm because it was two hundred bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by SigSauer226 View Post
    Maybe. It may take the whole west coast though. But that wouldn't be a big deal I guess.
    Give me a day or so to alert a few good guy's in AZ then go for it!

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    I'm right there with you on all of this.

I've heard the often touted "It's not supposed to be comfortable, it's supposed to be comforting" bullshit.

Screw that. After FINALLY getting a single stack 9mm that's slim enough to carry OWB, I have seen the light.
    I don't even want to carry my pea shooters IWB now!

Bulky-assed Glocks? You can have them. You can carry them comfortably? Concealed? IWB and OWB? Good for you - I can't - and won't.

Yeah, given a choice of a 45 or a 9mm Shield, I'd probably choose the 45. I chose the 9mm because it was two hundred bucks.
    Yep. But to each their own: I'm sayin' what I do and prefer, not judging others.

Like you say, if you can carry a double-stack 9mm concealed and be comfortable enough to do so everywhere, every day, then great. If you choose to / can open-carry, and don't care near as much about heft, that's fine too.

I can't (at least during work) OC and am not comfortable CC'ing a larger gun. So I stick with something small enough that I will, and make my choice of what it'll be within those constraints.
    DGAF

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast