Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112
    (Washington County)

Default Re: More rounds vs. more power (e.g. 9mm vs. .45)

Quote Originally Posted by KCJones View Post
    In a word: Overpenetration. Total energy vs. delivered-to-the-target energy are different things.

Like I've said before... cabbages.

Cabbages exploding into slaw with .45 is different than taking a chunk off the cabbage with 9mm (even with energy left over to deliver into the berm).

I ain't saying cabbages are an analog for a human head or target. I -am- saying, they're an apples-apples comparison.

You can talk theory all you want, and that's fine and more power to you. Carry whatever you like and I ain't arguing. 9mm is not bad. I loves me some 17-shot 9mm pistols.

But I'm a country boy from the show-me state. What I been showed is what a .45 does to cabbages and what a 9mm does to cabbages. They're not comparable IMHO, and you're not likely to convince me otherwise with fancy math and fancy talk.

But you go ahead. You do what you want and carry what you want. Hell's bells: carry a .950 rifle if that works for you and you can carry it.

I'm not tryin' to tell anyone what to do here. Just sayin' what I do and what I carry within the carry-constraints I face.
    I am not sure if this is all directed at me, as I was only posting to clarify that the poster I quoted was incorrect to say that 9mm had more energy than 45. It doesn't. But since you quoted me, I will comment.

Was it really an apples to apples comparison? I don't recall you mentioning what length of barrel either pistol had, or what type and brand of ammo was used. Was an effort made to eliminate as many variables as possible? Or were you just shooting cabbages?

Personally I have no dog in the race. I have carry pieces from 25acp up to 357 mag, including both 9mm and 45.

Hung a cabbage from a 6" diameter sapling and lined up on it with the S&W 500 Magnum. 335 gn plated RNHP at about 1400fps.
    1st shot cabbage was gone. 12 shots later tree fell over. I think I missed clean on 3 or 4 shots.

(Chester County)

I’ve seen bad guys shot center mass with 9mm and lived. I’ve seen bad guys shot center mass with .45 and lived. I’ve seen bad guys guys shot center mass with .380 and died.

Carry what’s comfortable, shoot what’s accurate, and train for the worst case scenario.
    "The Constitution is the guide which I will not abandon.” - George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by philadelphia patriot View Post
    I’ve seen bad guys shot center mass with 9mm and lived. I’ve seen bad guys shot center mass with .45 and lived. I’ve seen bad guys guys shot center mass with .380 and died.

Carry what’s comfortable, shoot what’s accurate, and train for the worst case scenario.
    This is where the right choice in SD ammunition comes into the equation.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    Speaking of which, I saw federal updated the hydro shock. I’m interested to see the ballistic tests for them.
    "The Constitution is the guide which I will not abandon.” - George Washington

https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...vx-ammunition/
    everyone is pushing this type of stuff now a days, milled out of copper or copper polymer stuff. etc.
    it's so weird... doubles as a #3 phillips when in a pinch.
    link shows what it did to clay.
    http://www.novxammo.com/
    manu link has specs.
    ...i'll stick to HPs for now.
    There is no way to make it out alive...

Quote Originally Posted by fallenleader View Post
    https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...vx-ammunition/
    everyone is pushing this type of stuff now a days, milled out of copper or copper polymer stuff. etc.
    it's so weird... doubles as a #3 phillips when in a pinch.
    link shows what it did to clay.
    http://www.novxammo.com/
    manu link has specs.
    ...i'll stick to HPs for now.

If I have to carry a .380 in the winter months due to concealment issues then I use the Lehigh Defense Xtreme Penetrators. I have seen some pretty compelling testing done by Shooting the Bull as well as the MAC on this particular bullet in this particular caliber. In a separate video MAC shot and killed a large wild hog and before butchering it up he filmed himself shooting it with the 9mm version of this bullet and it did some major damage to the carcass without massive over penetration.
    Last edited by Hodgie; January 8th, 2018 at 11:12 PM.

If I have to carry a .380 in the winter months due to concealment issues then I use the Lehigh Defense Xtreme Penetrators. I have seen some pretty compelling testing done by Shooting the Bull as well as the MAC on this particular bullet in this particular caliber. In a separate video MAC shot and killed a large wild hog and before butchering it up he filled himself shooting it with the 9mm version of this bullet and it did some major damage to the carcass without massive over penetration.
    Yep, it's why I carry it in my lcp when carrying my lcp.
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

(Blair County)

https://www.sigsauer.com/products/fi.../pistols/p365/
    There is your sub 1" double stack.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112