Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Berks County)

Default Dillon Crimp Dies - how to set them up?

I tried a search on this, but didn't come up with much. What are your preferred crimp diameters at the case mouth in relation to the case body on calibers such as 9mm, 40 s&w, 45 acp, and 357 magnum? I've been reloading 9mm on my Dillon 550b, and haven't had much of an issue with getting a nice crimp, about .002" smaller in diameter than the case body. However, I am going to start reloading 40 s&w, 45 acp, and 357 magnum as well (not for the first time, I've loaded these on my old single stage Lee in the past). When I went to setup the crimp die for 40 s&w, I wasn't noticing any difference in diameter at the case mouth no matter how far down I tightened the die. In fact, the bullet actually started to bulge, and I knew that was no good. Even without the crimp die in, the case mouth is reading pretty close to the same as it is around the body. Is there even a need to crimp? I noticed the same thing when setting up the 45 acp dies as well - wasn't noticing much change after tightening it down. I'm using FMJ bullets and am applying a taper crimp. My Lyman 49th manual doesn't seem to explain caliber-specific crimping specs. Unless the photo that is shown of the cartridge in the data section is showing dimensions with a crimp applied?

So for those of you using the Dillon crimp dies, do you have any words of advice on how to go about setting them up?
    Last edited by Rush2112; January 1st, 2018 at 12:46 PM.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Dillon Crimp Dies - how to set them up?

(Clarion County)

For me I take a sized case and set it in the crimp station. With the crimp die turned out I raise the ram and screw the die in until I contact the case. Then I use a case with seated bullet and turn the die in a tad at a time until I reach desired result. I measure with a micrometer to at least SAAMI specs. Before having a micrometer I used a case gauge or on pistols pulled the barrel to do the plunk test.
    Yes the spec drawings you see are of standard dimensions. Have no experience with the 40 S&W but looking at SAAMI specs there isn't much of a taper.
    cd40smithandwesson 1.jpg
    Most cases can be seen here: http://stevespages.com/page8d.htm
    Also the Dillon .357 mag crimp die should be made to do a roll crimp. Depending on your loading will determine amount needed.
    Good luck, hope this helps some.
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by cephas View Post
    For me I take a sized case and set it in the crimp station. With the crimp die turned out I raise the ram and screw the die in until I contact the case. Then I use a case with seated bullet and turn the die in a tad at a time until I reach desired result. I measure with a micrometer to at least SAAMI specs. Before having a micrometer I used a case gauge or on pistols pulled the barrel to do the plunk test.
    Yes the spec drawings you see are of standard dimensions. Have no experience with the 40 S&W but looking at SAAMI specs there isn't much of a taper.
    cd40smithandwesson 1.jpg
    Most cases can be seen here: http://stevespages.com/page8d.htm
    Also the Dillon .357 mag crimp die should be made to do a roll crimp. Depending on your loading will determine amount needed.
    Good luck, hope this helps some.
    Yep! Same here. I use a Dillon RL550B with carbide dies for 40 S&W and 45 ACP. Light crimp (pretty much just removing the bell) with no problems.

I didn't even know that Dillon was sick....oh, wait........never mind.

(Susquehanna County)

My preferred method is to use a factory cartridge from a good manufacturer as a reference. Screw the crimp die in but leave it well up. Put the cartridge in the shell holder raise the ram to its full height, then screw the crimp die down until it stops when it contacts the loaded cartridge. After that I ALWAYS make a dummy for each bullet I use as a standard. Set to my desired C.O.A.L. and crimp I can use it for setting dies on any machine or anytime time needed.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Berks County)

Thanks everyone. Makes sense and crimps are looking better now.

Quote Originally Posted by Brick View Post
    My preferred method is to use a factory cartridge from a good manufacturer as a reference. Screw the crimp die in but leave it well up. Put the cartridge in the shell holder raise the ram to its full height, then screw the crimp die down until it stops when it contacts the loaded cartridge. After that I ALWAYS make a dummy for each bullet I use as a standard. Set to my desired C.O.A.L. and crimp I can use it for setting dies on any machine or anytime time needed.
    I always measure the factory rounds case first w my digital calipers..then check random cases I load to make sure the dies do not slip