Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Question 1st machine gun purchase

I am planning on my first machine gun purchase in the coming months. I want a M16 weapon, but want to get some input from those who have experience with M16 machine guns first. My choices are a Lightning Link or a Registered Receiver. One positive is the LL is about $1500 to $2000 cheaper and I'm looking for some advise as to which is the best route and why. Any info on pros and cons would be appreciated.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: 1st machine gun purchase

I don't own one (so take that for what it's worth) but the LL seems to be a less desirable route. M16's are expensive but you get some more flexibility from them. Perhaps a registered auto sear would be better?

Also, you can get an Uzi in the 8k range and I think they have .22 conversions also. 9mm is cheaper to shoot and I think more fun. Fulauto223 has a few other .223 mechineguns that were cheaper than an M16 (Ruger I think) so that will work if you want to save a few bucks.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Smith View Post
    I don't own one (so take that for what it's worth) but the LL seems to be a less desirable route. M16's are expensive but you get some more flexibility from them. Perhaps a registered auto sear would be better?

Also, you can get an Uzi in the 8k range and I think they have .22 conversions also. 9mm is cheaper to shoot and I think more fun. Fulauto223 has a few other .223 mechineguns that were cheaper than an M16 (Ruger I think) so that will work if you want to save a few bucks.
    I have always wanted a M16 and I have the wife's support so I'm going to stay focused on that platform. The auto sear would be great but I can't find one under 13K, if I can find one at all these days. The benefit of a LL is that I can move it from gun to gun. However, there is the timing issue to get the link to perform and potential breakage of the link over time. Aside from the cost and flexibility between guns, I can't think of a reason to go the LL route.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by liberty556 View Post
    I have always wanted a M16 and I have the wife's support so I'm going to stay focused on that platform. The auto sear would be great but I can't find one under 13K, if I can find one at all these days. The benefit of a LL is that I can move it from gun to gun. However, there is the timing issue to get the link to perform and potential breakage of the link over time. Aside from the cost and flexibility between guns, I can't think of a reason to go the LL route.

Machine guns are expensive, M16 much more.

Honestly, if that's what you want you have to pony up the cash because there isn't relally a "cheap' way to get one anymore.

(Cumberland County)

Wink Re: 1st machine gun purchase

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Smith View Post
    Machine guns are expensive, M16 much more.

Honestly, if that's what you want you have to pony up the cash because there isn't relally a "cheap' way to get one anymore.
    I'm ready to spend, I just want to make sure I know about any real benefits of the LL. Saving the money would be great, but I'm more concerned about long term reliability and value.

(Lebanon County)

Here is a killer deal

Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

NFA Market Board

WTS 2 Exc. Colt M-16A1's, $13.5k ea

Posted By: BigJason in Boise Id <jasonjanousek@cableone.net> (24.117.117.50)
    Date: 9/21/08 21:20

Brokering 2 very low "mile", one owner M-16A1's for a friend. These guns were purchased new from a local dealer, who got them from Colt for an LE order, and sold them to the current owner. As I understand it these guns were taken out of the boxes, had a mag dumped through them, and were sprayed with oil and put away. They have the Colt "staking primer", which is a blue-grey epoxy like substance on some of the roll pins. This is factory, so if in doubt, please do some homework. Asking $13.5k, plus transfer tax, I will be happy to ship them. 100% funds starts the paperwork, and I will ship the guns certified mail on approval.
    Thanks,
    Big Jason

additional pics included, if you want more, be specific.

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/a...ek/100_0416.jp

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/a...k/100_0415.jpg

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/a...k/100_0418.jpg

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/a...k/100_0419.jpg

Password:

Post Response | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

NFA Market Board is maintained by Administrator

(Montgomery County)

Lightning link:

a stamped and cut piece of metal that slips ove rthe disconnector, and has a paddle that the bolt carrier pulls as it closes and provides a full auto only condition thats pretty mucha controlled "slamfire".

Pros: can pretty much be dropped in any AR15 (not AR10s, just the AR15 platform, not Colts with a sear block). Provides safe, and full auto only

Cons: requires a "full circle bolt carrier" and must be tuned to work in each gun. cannot provide safe/semi/full operation without a modified trigger group.
    paddles break easily, keep some on hand.
    Rarely works with subcaliber conversions like 22kits or 9mm kits without some serious tinkering.

"Drop in Auto Sear (DIAS)":
    a module that is inserted in the AR15 that takes the position of the USGI auto sear in an M16. held in place b y the rear lug of the upper. Its a small steel or aluinum housing that holds the sear itself. Requires all other m16 fire control group parts (trigger, hammer, disconnector, selector and bolt carrier

Pros: pretty much a drop in conversion, add the other parts and the sear, and go shoot.

Cons: mostly none, but still may require some tuning. MANY AR-15 lowers do not have the inside shelf of the lower under the rear pin milled low enough to accept a DIAS...you may have to get the lower milled.

Registered Receiver:
    basically, a AR15 lower that has been milled and drilled to accept USGI fire control parts..a true "m16" design if done correctly.

Pros: if the conversion was done correctly by either a factory maker like Colt, or a quality C2 manufacturer, the gun should work with standard M16 parts, both uppers and fire controls.

Cons: not all C2s used quality receivers (look for forged, not cast) and not all were converted correctly. That can cause issues fitting parts, and getting things working correctly. Anything can be fixed, but look for a quality conversion if you cant get a factory gun, like a Colt.

Colts will carry a premium, but also, watch out for "SP1" conversions.
    Colt Sporter conversions often have the front pin still larger than the rear, which may cause issues finding and getting upper receivers...especially modern flattops. if they have a large front pin, you have few upper receiver options, unless you want to mess with offset conversion pins.

thats pretty much it.

remember, the "AR15" conversion parts like a DIAS and LL can only be used in the AR15 platform, not the larger AR-10s by various makers, even tho those n"AR10s basically use AR components in the lowers.

ATFs opinion is conversion stuff is "platform" specific, even if it can be made to work in another platform.

I myself have a Colt Model 614(export model of the M16A1), which is a Colt Factory made select fire M16 thats's marked AR-15

hope this helps you decide which is best for you.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

Quote Originally Posted by forceinPA View Post
    Here is a killer deal
    IMHO Not really "killer" I recently passed on mint 614 for 11K

The market is SOFT.
    No, not billet martini glasses... Baffles.... EVIL Baffles

(Lebanon County)

prices are alway's negotiable and you dont see many m16's like this anymore. I have seen some for more money and are used harder. go to sturm and look at the Pic thing looks as if it just left the factory. of course a closer inspection is warranted when spending that kind of cash.

Quote Originally Posted by liberty556 View Post
    I am planning on my first machine gun purchase in the coming months. I want a M16 weapon, but want to get some input from those who have experience with M16 machine guns first. My choices are a Lightning Link or a Registered Receiver. One positive is the LL is about $1500 to $2000 cheaper and I'm looking for some advise as to which is the best route and why. Any info on pros and cons would be appreciated.
    We have one that started out life as a fully assembled M16A1, I think it was $400 or so in 1985-86. The nice thing about it is we can put 11 inch barrels on it as it's already an NFA weapon. With tracers in auto, it looks truly righteous. We shot it a lot in the 1980s, and a few times in the 1990s. But, the number of local venues where we could fire it are almost non-existent now. I can't afford to replace it, as the last one like mine sold for $13,000.

My daughter is the only one shooting it now (video link), but around here (Chester County) it stays in semi when it's firing. Thus, it's an overpriced AR-15.

Pro:
    Very easy to fix, USGI parts are affordable
    Easy to find ammo, magazines
    LOTS of tech info, both civvy & military

Con:
    Can be difficult to find machine gun friendly ranges
    Can be tricky to get running in auto if you put the shorty collapsing stock & 11" barrel on it -- requires special springs & buffer core.
    Magazine sensitive in auto (mine was, until I checked all my mags)
    Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
    Archie Bunker: "would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

http://www.moviewavs.com/TV_Shows/Al...he_Family.html

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast