Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Enfields

(York County)

Default Re: Enfields

Isn't Classic the folks who've been known to recondition and/or build German K98 rifles with bogus markings as SS guns or refinished but sold as original condition?

There are some dishonest folks out there these days! I went to a gun show last fall just to see what the current state of shows was. The selection stunk. The prices were in your face over current dealer retail. Wow and very sad.

My favorite was the No. 4 Mk.2 heavily waxed to look nice on the outside, but with a bore best described as "ridden hard and put away wet". The dealer was firm at $600.

I smiled and just told him I already had one, but I liked to see what the rifles were bringing these days.

Later I actually did buy a No. 4 Mk.2 made by POF in 1960 with matching parts and pristine bore for $415.
    Last edited by Ecclectic Collector; January 6th, 2018 at 09:40 AM. Reason: added a bit more

(Westmoreland County)

I can't remember the specifics, but Classic recently sold a batch of K98ks that were reblued, stocks sanded. I think they were also renumbered to be "matching". I think the most expensive was listed at $1,700. The rifles, given the refinishing, were probably only worth around $300-400. Probably less if a refinished rifle turns you off. But, they sold out withing minutes of listing them. They also sold RC K98ks starting at $900ish. Sold out of those in minutes as well. I think they sold Tikka M30s (also known as 91/30s) at $700. I know they sold MAS36s at $700. I get a little ticked off and jealous because I can list legitimate rifles at fair market prices, and have trouble selling. I'm baffled by Classic's sales. Some of their other wares aren't priced bad. I thought the "cracked" stock M39's at $290 shipped was a good deal. The BM59s aren't priced bad (considering the prices of .308 semi auto rifles). And their James River Armory Yugo M70s seem like a nice deal. Their surplus rifles, however, are priced insanely high and they sell. I honestly don't blame them for their prices. If I could list stuff at their prices and have buyers, I'd do so in a heartbeat in order to buy more rifles and ammo for myself.

(York County)

So Dealers like Classic have helped destroy the legitimate collectors market yet its just business...

I"m not bemoaning the upswing in prices for milsups. They ARE a piece of history and with a practically world-wide drive to limit civilian ownership of old military weapons, the USA is the biggest remaining market for surplus military guns.

A few big importers locked up most of the sources years ago, and the circumstances that allowed the mass importation of Enfields, Mausers, Mosims an the the like at the prices they were sold for will never happen again. Now the market place is mostly dealers who re-sell stuff imported 20 or more years ago. So as expected, getting good collectables to resell IS the way things work.

What I don't like, and has effectively ended most of my collecting has been the hype of overpriced & faked guns by doing exactly what Classic has done. It has both inflated the market, yet devalued it, making it hard for people with real collectables to buy and sell their pieces.

Like most collectors, I'm on a budget. I simply can't afford to buy new stuff without selling things I have. I don't regret the process, interests change and my existing collection gives me the means to even try to continue the occasional purchas. But unethical market practices by a few big name businesses are a long term detriment to the whole collecting side of gun ownership.
    Last edited by Ecclectic Collector; January 7th, 2018 at 08:48 AM. Reason: better grammar

Love it. Those days are gone. What a cool story

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123