Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Northampton County)

Default Re: Poly80 Pistol Question

To add all the potential hassle and legal issues associated with using a home made gun for the benefit of a having your hand in a 5-15 degree different angle. No way, not worth it.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gun View Post
    IANAL. I don't believe this to be true.

http://www.gunsholstersandgear.com/2...emade-firearm/

Read the BATFE letters at the end of the article.

If one made an NFA item, for personal use, from pure stock (or an 80% lower) one would have to serialize the lower to comply with FORM 1, as an example.

The one issue about a self-made firearm to be later sold in PA the ROS, and transfer would have to be done at an FFL, and the receiver would have to be serialized by the maker.
    Neither Federal or PA law requires the receiver to be serialized for a subsequent transfer.

Only "licensed manufacturers" of Title I firearms and "manufacturers" of Title II(NFA) firearms are required to serialize their devices.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Neither Federal or PA law requires the receiver to be serialized for a subsequent transfer.

Only "licensed manufacturers" of Title I firearms and "manufacturers" of Title II(NFA) firearms are required to serialize their devices.
    My reference is for PA transfer using the ROS. I am aware of what federal law is, but as far as filling out the ROS, you clarified that. Again, IANAL.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Jefferson County)

My reference is for PA transfer using the ROS. I am aware of what federal law is, but as far as filling out the ROS, you clarified that. Again, IANAL.
    PA RoS doesn't require a serial number if the firearm was not manufactured with one. Otherwise some handguns made between 1898 and 1968 wouldn't be transferable by a PA FFL, which they are in fact transferable.

On the SP4-113 when a firearm lacks a serial number you fill in "No Serial Number", or leave it blank.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

While a home build does not require a serial number, he can add one, any number for that matter. Even if he cops the number on the slide he isnt forging or defacing anything. He becomes the manufacturer, its his name his address and whatever number he wants.

(Union County)

IANAL. I don't believe this to be true.

http://www.gunsholstersandgear.com/2...emade-firearm/

Read the BATFE letters at the end of the article.

If one made an NFA item, for personal use, from pure stock (or an 80% lower) one would have to serialize the lower to comply with FORM 1, as an example.

The one issue about a self-made firearm to be later sold in PA the ROS, and transfer would have to be done at an FFL, and the receiver would have to be serialized by the maker.
    From the OP's post: one other thing I though of was having the serial from the upper engraved into the lower by a smith or engraver so that there is no question that the (2) are matched for each other.

In this scenario, the OP is proposing to take the serial number from an existing gun, engrave it on an 80% receiver once finished, and call it a gun. That would be duplicating, or reassigning an existing serial number. This specific action is what I was addressing. While factory Glocks are serialized in more than one place, the tin tag in front of the trigger guard is the number that matters, as the lower receiver is the gun.

The OP wants to carry a gun made from an 80% receiver, and he's trying to answer all the questions, before they become questions. I can appreciate that. He's right to worry about the perception or stigma of a home brewed firearm. Considering the law enforcement officer on scene will conduct himself based on his perception, you would want to get ahead of the problems before they're problems. Sure, once the lawyers are involved, your case will be dismissed, but how much money have you tied up in legal fees to get there? I was just describing how I see the ways to legitimize a gun that started as an 80% receiver, to cover all his potential legal questions in the future.
    Last edited by Nopetrol; January 1st, 2018 at 05:17 PM.
    Something clever belongs here. Same screen name at ARFCOM.

(Philadelphia County)

Nopetrol... like your style... i am pursuing the grip/ frame modification... finger groove delete, undercut trigger guard, grip/swell reduction, custom stipple - that should get me very close to what i am wanting with no issues discussed.
    (just wont be able to sell it after - lol)

(Union County)

Thank you. Yeah, selling it later would be difficult, not everyone wants what you want, and folks tend to be scared of modified plastic guns. But, if you get a gun to where you want it, and carry it daily for the rest of your days .... are you really worried about a future sale?
    Something clever belongs here. Same screen name at ARFCOM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12