Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Elk County)

Default Re: Ruger Releasing a New Precision Rifle... in .22LR

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    Carl Spackler is seeing this, thinking of gophers, and creaming his jeans.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

If as a teacher you cannot afford to shoot much other then .22, how can you afford a new platform to shoot .22 on?

Quote Originally Posted by j_h_smith View Post
    I think I can wait for the price to drop below $500. I'm thinking in a year or so, it will sell for less.
    Street price will be around $400 when these hit the market.

(Lackawanna County)

(Bucks County)

I wonder how it stacks up against the Ruger American rimfire. I'm being serious.

I realize a different stock. But adjustable trigger, takes 10/22 mags. Has open sights, comes in 2 barrel lengths (one threaded), no pic rail though.

I keep wondering if that built in elevation is needed on the rail. I know .22 drops off pretty fast. But has anybody had issues with a standard scope and rail/rings without elevation getting out to 100 yards?

-Zach

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by zachomega View Post
    . . . I keep wondering if that built in elevation is needed on the rail. I know .22 drops off pretty fast. But has anybody had issues with a standard scope and rail/rings without elevation getting out to 100 yards?
    The Ruger article says its purpose is to ease targeting at 300yds

A quick look at a 22LR trajectory curve, 40gr, 1250fps, sighted at 100yds, shows a 32" drop at 200yds . . . and the curve has clearly fallen off the table by then. And that's probably the best possible . . . the rest of the loads charted range from there to -54" @ 200yds with one outlier at 104" lol.

By the time one lobs that mortar shell 300yds, it's likely to deliver a slap in the face to its target

Whether that's a useful purpose, or just marketing, is another question.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Twoboxer View Post

A quick look at a 22LR trajectory curve, 40gr, 1250fps, sighted at 100yds, shows a 32" drop at 200yds . . . and the curve has clearly fallen off the table by then. And that's probably the best possible . . . the rest of the loads charted range from there to -54" @ 200yds with one outlier at 104" lol.

By the time one lobs that mortar shell 300yds, it's likely to deliver a slap in the face to its target

I like Ruger. But I think they are dreaming more than a little bit on this one.

Most guys (above 99% I'd bet) are going to put a scope on it and zero it between 50-100 yards and then never adjust the scope again (minus re zeroing).

I don't think the casual shooter is going to take a .22 out past 100 yards all that often. But I've been wrong before.

-Zach

Quote Originally Posted by zachomega View Post
    I like Ruger. But I think they are dreaming more than a little bit on this one.

Most guys (above 99% I'd bet) are going to put a scope on it and zero it between 50-100 yards and then never adjust the scope again (minus re zeroing).

I don't think the casual shooter is going to take a .22 out past 100 yards all that often. But I've been wrong before.

-Zach
    I can barely see the holes in the target at 50 yards. I certainly wouldn't take a shot on any game animal at 100 yards with a 22lr. So, I guess it's really not a rifle for me even at $400.

(Centre County)

I’m in for one. Especially if it seems like it will outshoot my Savage MK2 TRR-SR at 50 yards and in. The Savage will do a quarter sized groups (with the occasional nickel size) at 50 yards. The price will eventually gravitate towards the $350-360 area. I can wait.....
    I don't watch shark week. Sharks watch FLICK week.

Quote Originally Posted by Twoboxer View Post

You and Zach are right that most people will never take any .22lr over 100 yards. If the rifle is capable, some of us do take the .22lr out to longer distances because it's fun, and because it simulates long range shooting on a much smaller scale. I think it's funny that when people think 32" of drop is anything serious, or even that 54" of drop is anything. The table goes on for as long as you want to want to drag it out on a ballistics program and the angle you fired the round at. I mean when I'm shooting a grand with my .300 WSM, with some of the best bullets that money can buy in .308 caliber, the corrections are -240". So while 104" may sound extreme to you, some of us are used to seeing those kind of numbers, and it just becomes about the repeatability (lack there of) with rimfire ammo. I have and still shoot lots of prairie dogs and sometimes ground squirrels at 200-250 yards. Honestly, they probably need to look at releasing this in the .17 caliber bullets like the .17HMR and .17 Fireball, and .204 Ruger. THAT is where this rifle is really going to shine. Either way, most people would be pretty surprised at what a little .22lr can do and how far you can stretch it if you get some good match grade ammo, and know how to read wind.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast