Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    (Franklin County)

Default Re: Out of State Permit - I got turned away?

Quote Originally Posted by free View Post
    I see. So you're staying that you positioned yourself to sue, and this deal removes your standing to sue. I see that now. But it still doesn't resolve the underlying issue. Problem is, now "we" gotta find someone else to file a suit. Is that the gist of it?
    Finding the person, (and a defiant sheriff) is EASY. Paying the bill is the hard part.

I see. So you're staying that you positioned yourself to sue, and this deal removes your standing to sue. I see that now.
    No, that's what I said

But it still doesn't resolve the underlying issue. Problem is, now "we" gotta find someone else to file a suit. Is that the gist of it?
    Correct. I put out an offer to provide initial funding to a qualified candidate in NY. It's been up for a year and a half with no takers. Which sucks, but I can't blame them... it's an awful lot of headache for very minimal direct gain.

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    Finding the person, (and a defiant sheriff) is EASY. Paying the bill is the hard part.
    That's what I thought, but I was wrong. Finding the person is the hard part. I offered to pay the bill, albeit with some qualifications.

(Indiana County)

I actually can't see the problems that the sheriff(s) profess to exist. If the out-of-stater already has a license/permit/whatever, then that person has already been vetted.

Additionally, § 6109(j) states: "
    A sheriff who complies in good faith with this section shall be immune from liability resulting or arising from the action or misconduct with a firearm committed by any individual to whom a license to carry a firearm has been issued."

Quote Originally Posted by Statkowski View Post
    I actually can't see the problems that the sheriff(s) profess to exist. If the out-of-stater already has a license/permit/whatever, then that person has already been vetted.

Additionally, § 6109(j) states: "
    A sheriff who complies in good faith with this section shall be immune from liability resulting or arising from the action or misconduct with a firearm committed by any individual to whom a license to carry a firearm has been issued."

I've heard lots of reasons why. There are the reasons the sheriff provided (in my long post a few up). I've also heard talk about sheriffs being tired of NY people coming down and being general assholes. There's also the element of "they won't give my residents a permit, I won't give one to their residents."

But, really, the sheriff's logic doesn't matter. They're behaving in an unlawful manner, period.

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Statkowski View Post
    One country sheriff is in Pennsylvania, the other county sheriff is in New York. Both counties share a common border.

Despite New York State law specifically not recognizing licenses/permits/whatevers from any place other than New York, New York's county sheriff will recognize and issue New York State licenses to that adjacent county, and the Pennsylvania county sheriff will do the same.
    Susquehanna County PA began issuing non-resident LTCF to Broome County NY residents who have a NY CC Pistol Permit.
    However, Broome County NY Sheriff is telling Susquehanna County PA residents to go pound sand "We are a may issue state. You can apply and pay the fees ($140+) but we will tell the judge to deny your permit" This is the answer my wife and several other PA residents have been told.

She also asked in Shenango County NY where she works. They got nasty with her when she asked and told her only county residents and "immigrants" can apply. She asked then how was her husband able to get a NY CC Pistol Permit but refused to tell them what county (Smart girl) and said they outright called her a liar and that non-residents of NY CANNOT get a NY pistol permit

I luckily work in Tioga County NY and applied using "Work in New York" and after several months finally got my NY CC Pistol Permit last year
    Last edited by Parrisk; January 5th, 2018 at 11:20 AM.
    Retired US Army
    NRA Life Member, GOA, USCCA
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity"

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    You'd sit in jail until some clueless LEO or DA figures out how to spell reciprocity. Could be days.

EDIT: Actually, isn't it now a requirement that you be a resident of the state for the permit you are holding,
    in your case New Hampshire?
    For reciprocity, you must have a permit for the state you reside in. If the state you reside in does not have reciprocity with PA, you are SOL.
    IMO

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234