Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lawrence County)

Default My Budget build, 458 socom.

My Budget build, 458 socom, Not sure if budget and 458 socom go together but here she is. I have never posted in here before so I figured I would start with this.
    20171227_221617-404977.JPG

(Washington County)

Default Re: My Budget build, 458 socom.

Nice, I like that forearm. We use SBR ammo in ours and cycles great on F/A.
    Washington County Machine Guns & Tactical Range -- CMP Affiliated Club -- FFL 07 / FFL 10 / FEL 20 / SOT 02 / ITAR
    Largest MG Rental Business on the entire East Coast. M2HB, M9 Flamethrower, M67 Grenades, M240 Bravo, M249 SAW, M1919, RPD, M60, Bowling Ball Mortar.
    Now offering High-Explosive Classes (Open to the Public)

I enjoy my .458. There really is nothing budget about the one I built though.

(Cambria County)

I like it, looks really good. After building my first ar this past spring, I’ve been tossing around the idea of putting together a thumper. Can you give us an idea on what parts you used?

(Lawrence County)

I am almost embarrassed to tell you some of the parts I used. I have a total of $549 in the gun. All my other ar builds I have done I use quality parts , not so much on this one. BCA upper(Classic arms), P-tac Lower(extra from my parts bin). Hand guard and Muzzle brake are from eBay . Barrel and bcg are radical firearms( primary arms had a BOGO sale ), the stock kit (Magpul) and Lpk (Anderson) and extended take down pins, bolt release and mag catch button are (Trinity force) from ar15dicounts.com. Charging handle, gas block, gas tube are from Aimsurplus.com (their brand). Dust cover and forward assist are leftovers I had.
    Last edited by jasons85gt; December 29th, 2017 at 11:36 PM.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by jasons85gt View Post
    I am almost embarrassed to tell you some of the parts I used. I have a total of $549 in the gun. All my other ar builds I have done I use quality parts , not so much on this one. BCA upper(Classic arms), P-tac Lower(extra from my parts bin). Hand guard and Muzzle brake are from eBay . Barrel and bcg are radical firearms( primary arms had a BOGO sale ), the stock kit (Magpul) and Lpk (Anderson) and extended take down pins, bolt release and mag catch button are (Trinity force) from ar15dicounts.com. Charging handle, gas block, gas tube are from Aimsurplus.com (their brand). Dust cover and forward assist are leftovers I had.
    As long as it goes bang everytime you pull the trigger, then be happy with that build. I would be.
    Washington County Machine Guns & Tactical Range -- CMP Affiliated Club -- FFL 07 / FFL 10 / FEL 20 / SOT 02 / ITAR
    Largest MG Rental Business on the entire East Coast. M2HB, M9 Flamethrower, M67 Grenades, M240 Bravo, M249 SAW, M1919, RPD, M60, Bowling Ball Mortar.
    Now offering High-Explosive Classes (Open to the Public)

(Montgomery County)

That muzzle break looks like it can chop down small trees. How much does the rifle weigh?

(Lycoming County)

Question for op or anyone else. Can you use a standard upper or do you have to have the ejection port changed at all for 458. I have a milspec LMT upper sitting here doing nothing at the moment and this thread has me thinking.

(York County)

I used a standard upper, and carefully filed the opening untill an empty case could be ejected, then sanded and blackened with aluminum black. I didn't mess with the feed ramps, works fine with what I have shot so far (SBR brand fmj). I haven't tried hollow points, those may need the feed ramps blended into the barrel profile to prevent getting feed issues.

File the bottom of the ejection port until it is close to the ejection cover hinge, no point in going lower than that as the case will just hit the cover hinge. Then remove material from the upper edge. Keep checking with an empty case. You don't want to remove more than is needed.

As far as mags, Magpul, standard metal, worked with no modification. I did have issues with both Hexmag and Lancer.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rook View Post
    I used a standard upper, and carefully filed the opening untill an empty case could be ejected, then sanded and blackened with aluminum black. I didn't mess with the feed ramps, works fine with what I have shot so far (SBR brand fmj). I haven't tried hollow points, those may need the feed ramps blended into the barrel profile to prevent getting feed issues.

File the bottom of the ejection port until it is close to the ejection cover hinge, no point in going lower than that as the case will just hit the cover hinge. Then remove material from the upper edge. Keep checking with an empty case. You don't want to remove more than is needed.

As far as mags, Magpul, standard metal, worked with no modification. I did have issues with both Hexmag and Lancer.
    Thanks. Much appreciated