Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

(Allegheny County)

Default Shield on the Rocks

Don't think I posted pics of this yet. I guess I figured it's sort of like a Glock - they all look the same, so why bother.
    Oh well, here it is anyway.

I know these have been out for several years now and there's not much I can say that everyone doesn't already know about them.
    I bought it because it was affordable. I bought it because I've always carried small handguns in .380ACP or 32ACP inside the waistband, or with an ankle holster, and I wanted to carry something in 9mm, OWB and the overall size sounded good on paper.

I have owned a G19 for damned near 20 years, but couldn't imagine carrying it IWB and even OWB just seemed "clunky" with that gun. Granted, I have a Blackhawk SERPA holster for it which is a terrible concealment holster, but either way, it just feels too big, so it retains it's role as a house gun.
    I crossed my fingers and ordered one without ever having seen one, and hoped for the best. I figured at $199 shipped after rebate, I couldn't go wrong, and if I didn't like it, I could sell it without losing anything.

I like the overall size and especially the narrow width. I haven't shot it a ton yet, but I like it well enough to know that I'm keeping it.
    Hopefully it will carry well OWB!

Several months went by before I ordered a holster. I'll post pics and info, but I just got it, and haven't carried with it yet, so I can't really comment on carry yet.

Considering I didn't have the luxury of looking around and picking from several handguns because I was mostly buying based on price, I think I did OK. I can see why these are such good sellers - nice little handgun.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Shield on the Rocks

Nice shots and,I'm guessing you got the gun from PSA?
    There are no pacts between lions and men.

(York County)

My wife's gun, so I've shot it quite a lot. I think you'll be very pleased and have made a great choice. There's a -reason- so many folks have these.

Bottom line: it's a good gun. Everything about it is good. Nothing about it is bad.

But I'd also say nothing about it is 'excellent' or 'perfect'. It's an all-good gun. I don't mean that in a bad way at all. I'd sooner have an "all good" gun than a "excellent ____, but terrible ____" gun... and I know precious-few guns that achieve true "excellence" in one area without compromise in another.

Maybe that's the best way to put it. The Shield is a no-compromise gun: Nothing about it is 'wrong', nothing about it is 'bad'. In short it's a fantastic, affordable compact gun for everyday carry.

My advice on shooting it? Give it some time and plenty of rounds. When I first shot my wife's, I shot horrible... I do a lot of 25' practice (figuring that's a typical 'range of engagement' indoors or other likely SHTF scenario) and my benchmark is my Kimber 1911. At 25' I can pretty much put a whole magazine through the inmost circle with that every time. When I started with the Shield, I was all over the freakin' target. It took quite a lot (500 rounds?) of getting used to before the accuracy really came in. Not sure how much of that was me vs. the gun. Just saying I can normally get the 'feel' of a gun in 100 rounds and be shooting it at my best potential within 200, but this one took quite a bit more for some reason.

In fact, I'm getting one for myself - I recently got rid of my Ruger LC9S that just didn't work out for me, and need a compact EDC gun that'll 'hide' nicely with just jeans and a t-shirt before spring comes and I can't take advantage of coats and layers to conceal my winter-carry double-stack (a VP9).

My only debate is whether to get the 9 or the .45 version of this one. Need to head to a good store and spend some hand-time with them to decide. I'd prefer the .45 all else being equal, but it -is- a bit bigger and I want to make sure I don't end up with something that doesn't conceal well enough for my taste. I suspect I'll end up with the 9.
    Last edited by KCJones; December 29th, 2017 at 12:03 AM.
    DGAF

(York County)

PS - FWIW, when I shoot it, I -always- use the larger mag. For me with bigger hands, that's part of the appeal - that I can get my pinkie on it. I've never been quite comfortable shooting compacts that make me go "3-finger".
    DGAF

(Allegheny County)

I like the extended mag as well and I have girl hands.
    Even with small hands, I wouldn't say the Shield has the most comfortable grip width, but it's not bad either.
    It's a compromise. You can't have big, comfy grips and be compact at the same time.
    My concern was having something "thin".

(Allegheny County)

9mm Shield and 9mm G19.

Mrs EM likes the Glock, or I'd have ditched it years ago.
    It "works", but I don't like it. Almost any other handgun I've picked up I've been able to shoot better.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    9mm Shield and 9mm G19.

Mrs EM likes the Glock, or I'd have ditched it years ago.
    It "works", but I don't like it. Almost any other handgun I've picked up I've been able to shoot better.

Lord knows I've tried to follow the herd and like Glocks. I really have. But I just don't.

Partly aesthetic. I just find them ugly.

But mostly practical. No matter how mechanically solid/good they are, I've yet to have one 'feel good' in my hands. And not feeling good in my hand means, as you say, I don't shoot them well either.

I 100% support all you Glock fans out there. You like 'em, you enjoy 'em, you shoot 'em well. More power to you. I just don't.

Then again, I admit I'm a dinosaur. To me any gun that isn't a 1911 doesn't feel 'perfect' in my hand. It's a question of how much 'worse' it is. A few guns (my VP9, e.g.) feel 'almost as good'. A few more feel 'not much worse'. But most of them feel, to me, simply like 'not my 1911'... AKA bad.

I know. Heresy. He said Glocks aren't awesome... Let the thrashing begin.
    Last edited by KCJones; December 29th, 2017 at 12:48 AM.
    DGAF

(Centre County)

I bought a Shield 40 last summer so I could conceal it more easily with T-shirt than I can my SIG 229R 40 and was thoroughly impressed by how well it performed even to 25 yds. The ergos were good as-is but I added a Hogue hand-all thingy to it and now it's absolutely perfect. I also added a full-length stainless guide rod and spring and that really made it a LOT nicer to rack, tho there wasn't really an issue before (I have to monkey around with every gun I own). And like you two, I can't find a Glock that works well for me; guess that's one of the hazards of growing up on 1911s

Great choice. I have the performance center version and I love this little pistol.
    If you are going to reload for it, remember it has an extremely short chamber compared to other pistols. I learned that the hard way

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Since some people reading this thread also have this handgun and since not everyone reads the deals thread, I thought I'd mention that PSA has the 5 mags and 5 boxes of ammo deal back in stock.

Five 8 rd 9mm Shield mags and five boxes of PMC Bronze ammo for $99.99 - FREE SHIPPING

I got more work hours than I expected this week so I ordered today. They ran this deal months ago and I missed out back then.
    link
    Wow, that is a good deal. Also makes the range visits easier with the extra mags, soon to be Empty Mags, get it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast