Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Re: Shield on the Rocks

Quote Originally Posted by Berncly View Post
    My girlfriend likes the shield 9 now that the sales are over :P
    I would be interested to know if anyone sees a decent sale.
    Preferably with no safety.
    Try this:

https://grabagun.com/search/?q=shiel...09&caliber=9mm

(Delaware County)

I bought a Shield the same time Empty Mag did. Same reason too. Just couldn't pass up the price. Waiting for the rebate was a pain but made this a great deal. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet but looking forward to some range time as soon as it warms up a little. I have a LC9 that I really like and carry daily IWB so I won't have to buy bigger pants. After I shoot the Shield and it proves reliable ,I'll be looking for a holster.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyVet View Post
    Thank you.
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Allegheny County)

I carried the Shield to dinner tonight.

OMG, what an improvement over IWB!!!
    I was able to eat my sirloin and rib combo and not feel like I was going to die by the end.
    No more irritating gun taking up valuable breathing room in my waistband!

I wore jeans and a T shirt with the T shirt untucked to cover since I was going to a crowded restaurant.
    The Kydex touching my skin wasn't an issue, but I think it would be less comfy if it were hot outside.
    Even with just a thin web belt, it was fairly snug against my hip, so I now know that a heavy gun belt is not as critical as I thought it would be. I still intend to get a better belt, but I no longer feel the pressure to spend tons of money on one.

So far so good for the Bravo Concealment BCA OWB holster!

Oh yeah... my cell phone holder on the other hip prints more than the gun does!

Last edited by Emptymag; January 1st, 2018 at 10:51 PM.

(York County)

LGS sent an email with a "make an offer, we don't want to do inventory" promo for yesterday (12/31/17).

Went over there and finally got my M&P Shield. Went with the .45 versus the 9mm. Price was good-not-great, but I considered the $20 more than I probably-could-have-found-it-online a reasonable 'donation' to my LGS + immediate gratification.

I got the version with the thumb-safety. They had both, and I normally prefer no "manual safety" on striker-fired pistols. But in this case, the safety is so well designed, well integrated and intuitive that I decided to have it. YMMV of course. I've practiced flicking the safety "off" probably a couple hundred times already with my wife's gun, and now at least 100 with this one. It feels really fluid and 'part of the draw'. As good/well-integrated a safety as I've found. Plus I can always just leave it 'off' if I want.

Went over to the range to shoot it today, and very very happy indeed. Did a bunch of exercises with it. Started with 100 rds of straight up slow-repeat aimed fire. Then did some quick-draw 2+1, some quick-draw +6, etc. About 500 rds through it today, all told (I'm a glutton with a new gun). Very impressed with the accuracy I was able to achieve, balance, stock sights, etc. As an out of the box small-format gun that carries 8 .45 rounds... double-plus-good.

Shot like a dream. Everything I expected from a low-cost CC gun and more. Despite the very-slight size increase vs. my wife's 9mm, it felt much better in-hand than hers does.

Tucks up nicely for CC, packs a wallop. Same # rounds with the extended mag (which I want for grip purposes anyway) as a standard 1911. Perceive recoil / reset was strikingly light for a .45... Certainly no more jumpy/hard-to-handle than my (much larger) 1911.

My son, who shoots 9mm almost exclusively, had a few goes and said it was only 'marginally' more kicky than his 9mm's, and was putting the full mag through 3" centers within a couple dozen rounds.

Front end got VERY dirty while shooting. Suspect that has more to do with what I was putting through it (Winchester white-box FMJ 230) than the firearm.

Over time as I shoot it and get more bedded in, I'll post more feedback. Curious to see how it does with the rounds I'll typically load as a daily CC piece (HP versus the FMJ range rounds I used today), but don't think that will change much.

But first-take is that this is the CC gun I've been looking for: Everything I've liked about my wife's 9mm shield, but with the slight additional heft that gives it more comfort in my bigger hand.

Disclosure: I shot it with the (included) extended 7+1 mag. Didn't even try the shorter 6+1 "standard" mag. I'll eventually practice with the shorter mag, but for me the ability to get all my fingers on the gun is critical, so not much point shooting it with the mag that will only ever be my 3rd backup (the extra 7+1 mag is already on order).
    Last edited by KCJones; January 1st, 2018 at 11:30 PM.
    DGAF

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    I carried the Shield to dinner tonight.

OMG, what an improvement over IWB!!!
    I was able to eat my sirloin and rib combo and not feel like I was going to die by the end.
    No more irritating gun taking up valuable breathing room in my waistband!

I wore jeans and a T shirt with the T shirt untucked to cover since I was going to a crowded restaurant.
    The Kydex touching my skin wasn't an issue, but I think it would be less comfy if it were hot outside.
    Even with just a thin web belt, it was fairly snug against my hip, so I now know that a heavy gun belt is not as critical as I thought it would be. I still intend to get a better belt, but I no longer feel the pressure to spend tons of money on one.

So far so good for the Bravo Concealment BCA OWB holster!

Oh yeah... my cell phone holder on the other hip prints more than the gun does!

Aside in terms of Cellphone 'printing' as much/more than a piece...

A couple times when someone's seen something and said "are you packing?"... I've found that mumbling about my 'insulin pump' makes them shut up right away. It's a technique I've used in situations where it was clear admitting I was carrying would create an awkward or confrontational situation (after all, carrying "concealed" doesn't mean you tell everyone, right?)

Caveat: I don't need/wear an insulin pump. I am diabetic, but it's (for now) mild and kept-controlled via diet and exercise. But as someone with a family history of diabetes, and relatives with much more serious cases, I do have mixed emotions about playing a serious health condition against belaying questions about my CC.

But I'm throwing it out there as a technique that does seem to work. Your call on the 'ethics' issue.
    Last edited by KCJones; January 1st, 2018 at 11:26 PM.
    DGAF

(Allegheny County)

Regarding the safety - yeah, it's OK.
    I would have gotten the no-safety model, but it was out of stock. I couldn't think of a reason the safety being there was a reason to lose out on getting a $199 handgun, so I got the manual safety model. The gun is no different in any other way, so the act of "not using" the safety works the same as buying one without a safety. I haven't decided yet if I'll use it, but considering every single handgun I've ever carried was DAO, it would probably be better to not have to re-learn anything.

My first thought upon looking the gun over was that the safety appears to be an afterthought - that the gun was conceived, designed, and produced with no intention of offering a safety, but somewhere later they were pressured to add it. It looks really cheesy compared to the rest of the gun, but it does work and is easy enough to flip off even tough it's pretty small. For an afterthought, they did OK with it.

EDIT: I've read that some people think/say that they fear the safety could become accidentally "engaged" which would be a problem if you thought it should be "off" when you draw it in self defense.
    I'm not buying it. The safety takes a pretty deliberate push to engage.
    I'm not concerned.
    Last edited by Emptymag; January 1st, 2018 at 11:32 PM.

(York County)

Regarding the safety - yeah, it's OK.
    I would have gotten the no-safety model, but it was out of stock. I couldn't think of a reason the safety being there was a reason to lose out on getting a $199 handgun, so I got the manual safety model. The gun is no different in any other way, so the act of "not using" the safety works the same as buying one without a safety. I haven't decided yet if I'll use it, but considering every single handgun I've ever carried was DAO, it would probably be better to not have to re-learn anything.

My first thought upon looking the gun over was that the safety appears to be an afterthought - that the gun was conceived, designed, and produced with no intention of offering a safety, but somewhere later they were pressured to add it. It looks really cheesy compared to the rest of the gun, but it does work and is easy enough to flip off even tough it's pretty small. For an afterthought, they did OK with it.

EDIT: I've read that some people think/say that they fear the safety could become accidentally "engaged" which would be a problem if you thought it should be "off" when you draw it in self defense.
    I'm not buying it. The safety takes a pretty deliberate push to engage.
    I'm not concerned.
    With you on that. Don't see much chance of 'accidentally' engaging the safety if I choose to leave it off.

Ditto on the mechanism of choosing: The with-safety gun was in-stock. The no-safety gun would have required waiting.

I'm not good at waiting, particularly for something I consider to be a "six of one" issue. If I had any concerns about the safety, I'd have waited. I don't, so I didn't.
    DGAF

(Allegheny County)

Since some people reading this thread also have this handgun and since not everyone reads the deals thread, I thought I'd mention that PSA has the 5 mags and 5 boxes of ammo deal back in stock.

Five 8 rd 9mm Shield mags and five boxes of PMC Bronze ammo for $99.99 - FREE SHIPPING

I got more work hours than I expected this week so I ordered today. They ran this deal months ago and I missed out back then.
    link

(Chester County)

Since some people reading this thread also have this handgun and since not everyone reads the deals thread, I thought I'd mention that PSA has the 5 mags and 5 boxes of ammo deal back in stock.

Five 8 rd 9mm Shield mags and five boxes of PMC Bronze ammo for $99.99 - FREE SHIPPING

I got more work hours than I expected this week so I ordered today. They ran this deal months ago and I missed out back then.
    link
    Wow, that is a good deal. Also makes the range visits easier with the extra mags, soon to be Empty Mags, get it?

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast