Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Shield on the Rocks

Nice pistol. Great photos of it too. I think you're going to really like it.

I've shot the Shield 40 but not the 9. Worth more than $200 so you're doing great!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
    Nice pistol. Great photos of it too. I think you're going to really like it.

I've shot the Shield 40 but not the 9. Worth more than $200 so you're doing great!

Yeah, waiting for the rebate was annoying, but that's the price of dealing with rebates.
    I wouldn't have bought it otherwise and with money being tight, I debated for weeks before actually buying it on the last day the rebate was valid.

I had a .40 S&W Glock years ago, but that experience left me having no desire to shoot 40 again.
    The recoil just caused too much discomfort to shoot more than a mag or two. I will add that at the time I was working a desk job using a computer and my wrists were getting some pain from that, so the 40 just aggravated it.

I got your PM. I'll think it over, thanks!

And on that note, I have some pics of the holster I bought that I will post...

(Allegheny County)

I've never REALLY carried OWB, so I wasn't sure where to start looking.
    I needed something "affordable" and while I prefer leather, I was mostly narrowing it down by minimal weight/thickness, and price.

A few brands were suggested to me and without going into the pros and cons of each one I looked at, I ultimately decided on the Bravo concealment BCA OWB Kydex holster. As luck would have it, they were offering a free mag pouch with any holster and the day I decided to order happened to be the last day of the offer! It was $49.99 shipped (all items ship free) for the holster and mag pouch.
    "FREE SHIPPING • LIFETIME WARRANTY • 30 DAY MONEY BACK SATISFACTION GUARANTEE"
    Company link
    Holster link

They offer pancake style belt loop attachments as an option which are said to help draw the holster in even closer to your body.
    I did not opt for those - I figured I'd see how it goes with the standard belt loops first.

This holster has some adjustment options as well - by moving the belt loops, you can adjust the cant, or raise it to ride higher.

25 second adjustment demo:

It took a while to get it due to the holiday rush and the free mag pouch offer, but I think it was worth the wait.
    The two pieces each came in a black "Ziplock" bag with a note of thanks for the order and a request for input so they can make improvements as needed.

I'm not a Kydex expert, but the holster looks nice - clean lines and even screws/rivets. The edges where the two pieces of Kydex meet are "solid" and smooth - polished the whole way around for a very nicely finished holster. The details of the Shield are molded in - front and back, and the handgun snaps in with an audible "clunk", and removes smoothly with a firm pull, and without a fight.
    I put it on wearing jeans and using a simple web belt since I have yet to order an actual gun belt. The holster holds the gun nice and close and more solidly than I would have expected with such a flexible, thin belt. I was able to draw and reholster a dozen times without "searching" as I reholstered. So far so good!

(Montgomery County)

My girlfriend likes shooting the shield 9.
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Berncly View Post
    My girlfriend likes shooting the shield 9.
    She's not a fan of the Grock?
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Allegheny County)

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    She's not a fan of the Grock?
    She hates it.
    Mostry I think it's because I prefer a wider back strap, and she doesn't rike the 40 recoir.

(Allegheny County)

Back side to show the standard loops...

One of the reasons I chose this brand over another one I almost ordered is the way the back piece of Kydex comes up to cover the side of the gun that is against your side. Nothing worse than a slide stop or safety rubbing against your side while wearing a gun on your hip.

(Montgomery County)

I gotta say Empty, I hear you about your preference for smaller frames and IWB vs OWB carry, but I would not have considered a shield to be an OWB.
    But suum cuique.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Berncly View Post
    I gotta say Empty, I hear you about your preference for smaller frames and IWB vs OWB carry, but I would not have considered a shield to be an OWB.
    But suum cuique.
    I know. I hear people talk about carrying a Glock IWB, and I scratch my head.
    GAWD, that has to be horrible. I carried my Colt Pony IWB in a thin, nylon holster, but even that was more than I wanted tucked inside my pants.

The Kel-Tec P32 and P3AT are ideal for IWB, but I wanted a larger caliber for carry, and I wasn't going to buy all new pants just to fit a gun in there and be uncomfortable. OWB or nothing!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast