Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Looking for a vault door recommendation

I am currently looking to install a vault door in a poured concrete roon that is under my porch. I have done the usual internet searches and found lots of ideas and opinions. My biggest hope to find here is a dealer local to the harrisburg area. The hassle of shipping something that weighs half a ton is not something im looking forward to. I will take any and all info you guus may have. Thanks

Default Re: Looking for a vault door recommendation

Big, heavy and impervious to explosives..I'll be here all week.
    Go sell crazy some where else, we're all stocked up here.

Political power grows from the muzzle of a gun.

There are a lot of options depending on your plan. What is your primary concern? Theft, fire, or something else? If this is a room off of your basement the best advice is concealment and don't tell anyone about it. I built a concealed room in my house and my own brother-in-law saw it for the first time this weekend. We've lived in the house almost 20 years.

Search sites such as Craigslist for key words like "vault door", "safe", "security door". Searching nearby cities like NYC, Baltimore, and Philly may produce something. There are plenty of construction projects where people are trying to unload odd stuff. You may even want to consider pulling the door off a large gun safe if you find one at the right price. What about getting a sheet metal shop to build a custom one? The average gun safe door is nothing more than 1/8" steel with a few layers of gypsum. A pair of high security pad locks are just as effective as most gun safe combo dials.

Keep in mind the properly equipped thief with a little experience WILL get in your room. You're locating this in an area where the thief has concealment from observation and therefore time as long as no one is home. Plan your design in layers. Consider concealing the door behind a floor length mirror on hinges or some other cover. Again, the best defense is keeping it a secret and making it as inconspicuous as possible.

Here is a safe currently listed on Craigslist. At 63.5", the door isn't the ideal height but it's probably far cheaper than many door options.

vault.JPG

High security padlocks. There's a reason these things cost $80+. To give you an idea of the effectiveness this is an alternate option for military arms rooms. The lock housing is designed in a way that you can't get to the shank with bolt cutters (assuming you can find a set that could cut the super hardened shank).

high security lock.JPG

(Perry County)

https://www.yellowpages.com/newville...zone-453424525

https://www.facebook.com/Safe-T-Zone-572799372772463/

We are central Pennsylvania's source for premium quality gun safes and vault doors. NO mass merchant merchandise in our showroom. We deliver, install and service what we sell. No commissioned sales, no sub-contracted deliveries. Family owned and opperated since 1993.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Allegheny County)

I am considering a vault room and have done some googling. Depends on the use case and whether the vault door is concealed or exposed. There is the used option too.

http://www.prosteelsecurity.com/Vaul...waAr9_EALw_wcB

https://www.ftknox.com/vaults/vault-...oors-outswing/

https://www.snapsafe.com/specialty-s...ault-room-door

(Centre County)

As of yesterday there was a vault door for sale on State College craigslist.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by MT1 View Post
    If this is a room off of your basement the best advice is concealment and don't tell anyone about it. I built a concealed room in my house and my own brother-in-law saw it for the first time this weekend. We've lived in the house almost 20 years.
    Id be interested in hearing more about your concealment room and door if you dont mind sharing. I recently realized I have a rather large dead space behind one wall, probably 12' by 5' and trying to decide if I want to do something with it or not.

Graffunder. Dealer isnt that local to you but regularly travels that far. yes, it is expensive, but i havent seen anything that comes even remotely close to the security and craftsmanship of a graffunder safe or vault door.

Ok, serious question, what are you hoingvto attach it to? Concrete block? Reinforced concrete? Conventional framing?
    Unless your walls are crazy thick and reinforced, an electric jackhammer will have the hinges loose in no time in concrete, anything else, a sawzall or sledge will do nicely.
    As mentioned, camouflage is imo your best bet.
    Last edited by pacodelahoya; December 28th, 2017 at 08:54 AM.
    Go sell crazy some where else, we're all stocked up here.

Political power grows from the muzzle of a gun.

(York County)

Thanks for all the info thus far guys. Let me start my saying that I'm not looking to build Fort Knox. I don't have piles of gold bullion to protect. That being said I do want something reasonably secure. I realize with enough time and tools most anything can be accessed. My room is about 6 x 16 with 9" poured concrete walls that had a framed opening left while the walls were poured. The roof has metal decking with concrete poured on top. I would like something that can double as a safe was well as a storm shelter, meaning something that can be both locked and opened from the inside or outside. I understand the concealment is the best way to keep would be theives away. So maybe just a large safe inside with a concealed entry may be the way to go. Keep the suggestions and recommendations coming. Thanks again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast