Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Multipurpose suppressor?

Hello,

The wife finally approved a suppressor purchase. I would like to use one for multiple calibers. I mainly shoot 223 (bolt for hunting and ar's), and would also like to use it for 9mm (pistol and sub 2k).

What would you recommend in that regard? I was looking at the silencerco hybrid, liberty mystic X and griffin optimus. I was leaning toward the mystic X as I own some 45 pistols, but none have threaded barrels. I also heard the hybrid can be a bit heavy for pistol use.

What do you guys recommend?

Also, for a 22 specific suppressor, 60% on an bolt action fv-sr and M&p 15-22, 40% on a m&p 22 compact and mark iv pistol.....is your recommendation the dead air mask, Spectre II or something else?

(Armstrong County)

Default Re: Multipurpose suppressor?

Mystic X

Dead Air Mask or TBAC take-down
    HGW, llc ~ Title 1 & NFA sales/manufacturing ~ Transfers - Title 1 $20 - NFA $50

(Armstrong County)

I would just get a .30 cal can for rifles

.45 cal can for pistols

And a 22lr can

Silencers are just like guns... You won't stop at one.

(Bucks County)

I love my Optimus... shoot it on .22, 9mm, .223 and 300BO. I have two piston threads and the smaller "blast shield" as well as a fixed spacer for the piston spring.
    "A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." ― Edward R. Murrow

(Berks County)

I have the older 9mm Mystic (non X) I use for 9mm, 300 BO, and 5.56. Have not tried it with .22 rimfire yet.

Works fine on Glock 19 and Walther PPQ with the piston adapter, cycling 147 grain and have never had a failure to eject, feed, cycle. Also great on a CZ EVO.

If you get the suppressor, you'll just end up getting a threaded barrel for you pistol(s). I have the PSA G19 threaded barrel and it works fine. I ponied up for the Walter factory barrel because there are really no other options.

Equally adept on a 8" 300 BO AR and 16" 5.56 AR. You'll need a fixed barrel adapter (FBA) for, well, fixed barrel firearms, lol.

My model recommended 5.56 only out of a 16" barrel, but I think the X upgraded that. 5.56 suppressed isn't much to write home about anyway since it's supersonic. Unless you buy expensive underpowered subs that won't cycle. They market them as uber-stealthy so your prey won't be alerted by the noise of the action cycling.

On pistols, you do lose the sights with the Mystic. If that's a big deal to you, maybe the Silencerco Osprey.

Another note, if you're going multi-caliber: pick the largest you'll need. I know that might sound elementary, but I only say that because a .45 suppressor on a 9mm only typically loses about 2-3 db of suppression compared to a dedicated 9mm model. IMHO, not enough to warrant buying a 9 and a .45 can.
    Last edited by esh21167; December 27th, 2017 at 09:52 AM.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Nate7667 View Post
    Mystic X

Dead Air Mask or TBAC take-down
    Kinda what I was thinking

Quote Originally Posted by danhr View Post
    I would just get a .30 cal can for rifles

.45 cal can for pistols

And a 22lr can

Silencers are just like guns... You won't stop at one.
    Im pretty sure with kids on the way i won't be able to drop 2000 for 3 supressors and then 600 in tax stamps. 1100 and 400 in stamps sounds I'm certain a multi caliber and rimfire can will be my only ones for a long while.

(Centre County)

For the .22 suppressor, the Spectre II or the Sparrow are very nice. Also, there's a newer brand out, Energetic Armament (they are very big in the explosives world and decided to try their hand at suppressors). The NyX and NYX Mod 2 are both are made (all parts) of titanium and are extremely light. I have both (for demos) and they are as quiet as the Spectre and Sparrow and have a very competitive (around $345-NYX, $379 NYX Mod 2). The Mod 2 is longer (6.5") but you can cut the size almost in half to 3.7" and still have good suppression. No I do not work for Energetic, but I do sell suppressors so am always looking at different brands to test and sell. These are nice light suppressors that work.

For pistols, go with a dedicated pistol suppressor you'll be happier than trying to do "One size fits all". They might fit but the results might not be that good.

For a .300 BO and 5.56, you can go with something like a Rugged Suppressor Surge 762 and get a 5.56 end cap for it. I have one on a Ruger American Rifle in .300 BO (16.5" barrel) and with anything above 208 grain bullets it is very quiet. If I mount it on my SIG 516 SBR (7.5" bbl) you can shoot it with no to minimal hearing protection (foam ear plugs).
    Last edited by Xringshooter; December 27th, 2017 at 03:06 PM.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Lehigh County)

Try giving them a call maybe could help you with suppressor. http://www.freedomsportsllc.com

(Northampton County)

My vote is for a Dead Air can. I really like their mounting system and options.

(Montgomery County)

Think about what you want to shoot. I have used my 9mm can with pistols and 9mm ARs - best of both worlds. 147 grain bullets, 330 ft/pounds of energy when subsonic versus .223 at 150 ft/pounds. I have a Gemtech Multimount.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member and Training Counselor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast