Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Northumberland County)

Default LTCF renewal Northumberland County

So my wife’s LTCF is due for renewal. She typically works 50-ish hours per week at a very demanding job and is currently enrolled in classes for her MBA so her free time during business hours is very limited to say the least. She was actually off a few days here before and after Christmas so one thing on her to-do list was get to the courthouse to renew. I called there on 12/22 at 9:30 am to be sure they were in and open for LTCF renewals. The very crotchety woman who answered said in a very Grinch who stole Christmas like voice “until 2:00” when their office hours are normally until 4:00 but I’ll cut them a break, it’s the holiday season. So we drive down and she walks through the door at 1:40 greeted by a sign that read something like (I didn’t go in and see the sign myself) closed for gun license applications, reopen on 12/26. Waste of time and gas in the car. Today she’s off work one last day so I call again about 10:00 and a different, kinda clueless sounding woman answered and told me their system was “broke”, yes she said broke, and maybe I should call back later. I called around 2:00 today and the same woman answered now explaining to me that their printer was broken and they had to order a new one, so no renewals today again.

My questions are:
    -I received notice from the sheriff’s office and a renewal app in the mail long before mine was due. She did not. I wonder why that was.

-Getting a run around one day before a holiday weekend is almost to be expected but are they allowed to do this?

-Getting a BS reason why they can’t have the renewal service back up and running when it’s supposed to be available to the public, are they allowed to do this?

-How are people who work the kind of hours she does, at a pretty important job I’ll add, in the neighboring county supposed to be able to get into their office between 9:00 and 4:00 AND coordinate around their system being “broke”?

-Am I reading into this situation because I’m frustrated or do you think LTCF friendliness at the Northumberland County courthouse is changing?

-Is there anyone you think I should make aware of this? Her next day off is 1/2/18 so we’ll check then. If their system isn’t un-broke by then I’ll start to think something is up.

Oh and when you call there the menu on the phone service says “press 3 for gun permit information”. Gun permit? Ah no.

(Northumberland County)

Default Re: LTCF renewal Northumberland County

As of today they’re still waiting on their printer 🙄

(Wayne County)

damn that's ridiculous, so if their printer is broken for a month, you have to wait a month? any word from them yet

(Lycoming County)

The system being "broke" is a common problem. They use pics for the background check and it went down several times over the holidays.

The printer thing is just stupid. As for hours, that's a problem lots of places too. Do they have any Saturday hours? I know Lycoming county has some limited Saturday hours for people who can't get there during the week.

(Northumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Will3212 View Post
    damn that's ridiculous, so if their printer is broken for a month, you have to wait a month? any word from them yet
    I haven’t checked since Tuesday because my wife hasn’t been off work. All I know is their system was down for well over a week last time I called.

(Northumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by R L Suehr View Post
    The system being "broke" is a common problem. They use pics for the background check and it went down several times over the holidays.

The printer thing is just stupid. As for hours, that's a problem lots of places too. Do they have any Saturday hours? I know Lycoming county has some limited Saturday hours for people who can't get there during the week.
    Yeah I thought it was that PICS was down and beyond their control when it first happened but now it’s obviously not the case.

I agree the printer excuse is stupid.

No Saturday hours at all either.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by R L Suehr View Post

Is this 'printer problem' stopping them from printing out Search Warrants and Sheriff's notices? Has all Law Enforcement activity in North Umberland ceased because of Printer Issues?

Are they too lazy to go to a nearby Staples, UPS store or Library to print them out? How about local Police Departments?

Do people in Northumberland need to file a Writ of Mandamus to force their Sheriff's department to go to Wal-Mart to buy a replacement printer?

(Westmoreland County)

So if the "gun control" lobby has their way, we need to get gun licenses and special classes just to own a firearm, will this "Our Printer is Busted" fly too?

its crazy to hear about your experience.. I am right around your area and have dealt with Snyder County Sheriffs department for NFA and LTCF.. they are extremely pro 2a.. and super accommodating.. I don't recall the hours.. but when I called about NFA they were like "oh come on down we will take care of it.." had a pleasant chat about SBRs.. signed my forms.. and out the door I went..

(Northumberland County)

Up until now I’ve had nothing negative to say about the Northumberland County office regarding gun rights. Maybe this was all just coincidental but still irritating none the less.

I did call yesterday just to see if they were back up and running again and they said yes. I had not been checking because it was pointless now that my wife doesn’t have the time away from work to get there anytime soon.

Why is it that we have to go to the sheriff in our home county anyway when this is a state issued license? We can go to any DMV to get a driver’s license or renew a photo ID. It would be much more convenient for both of us to stop in Montour County for our LTCF.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast