Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Adams County)

Default Re: Buying a bipod Need advice

I have the caldwell on my .22 trainer and I would not personally bump it up to anything much more, I have seen Harris on sale in the $60-$80 on Primary Arms Website. I have several and if you wish to increase your accuracy especially at distance a cant level and swivel pi pod will make a difference. I also shoot prone and therefore prefer swivel. If they are looked in right theres no wobble. If you want the Best and have the coin get an Atlas.

[QUOTE=Corey G;3719103]I have the caldwell on my .22 trainer and I would not personally bump it up to anything much more, I have seen Harris on sale in the $60-$80 on Primary Arms Website. I have several and if you wish to increase your accuracy especially at distance a cant level and swivel pi pod will make a difference. I also shoot prone and therefore prefer swivel. If they are looked in right theres no wobble. If you want the Best and have the coin get an Atlas.[/IQUOTE]

I ended up with a Harris and it has performed well for its intended function.

It call comes down to what your needs are. Harris is solid, but if you're just shooting on the bench and playing around, especially with a trainer, it's not going to be the end of the world if you go with something cheaper. It's all down to the buy once cry once, or however you want to do it. Luckily, even if you choose to go a bit more expensive on a bipod, it's not ungodly expensive. The real trick is learning to load the bipod consistently and getting comfortable. I can almost shoot as small of groups (on a good day) off of a bipod as I can a machine rest. Obviously, I'm not quite a machine, and most people aren't, but I've had 3 shot groups at a 1,000 yards less than 2" even in 20 mph or higher winds. Most people can't even hang with that at 3 shot groups off of a machine rest in not even close to those winds, much less gusts. It's all about the loads, getting comfortable and stability.

(Jefferson County)

For a bench - sand bags are king.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Bucks County)

So far, for some reason, on the bench my $35 bipod and Caldwell rear bag does better than bags front and rear on two of my rifles...a .22-250 and a .308.

I think the earlier post of the issues of using a bi-pod, of any manufacture, on a bench is the question. When I go to the bench the bi-pods come off. Using a bi-pod on a bench will just make your rig bounce.

Shooting from a bench = bags or rests.
    Shooting from the dirt = bi-pod

(Bucks County)

Just offering my observations with respect to myself.... a main key to small groups is doing the same each time. I find I am able to reposition the bipod to a certain spot and apply repeated forward pressures, as opposed to re-establishing where the front bag was located and how internal materials had changed from recoil.

That's with a Savage 10FCP-K .308, and a .22-250 that weighs 15 pounds. Just what I have experienced. The bags are Caldwells. Something like a lead sled would probably produce a different result.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12