Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Beaver County)

Default Pre War Walthers

Does anyone here know a serious Walther collector or where to get a hold of one ?

I have a friend whom has a 6.35mm PPK. He was thinking about sending it to Rock Island Auction House.

While Rock Island will take care of the gun he is concerned with the 20% selling fees. He was wondering about a private sale.

Just wanted to reach out to the great Poofa mind trust.
    Last edited by DucatiRon; December 25th, 2017 at 11:44 PM.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Pre War Walthers

You can put it on gunbroker.com and save a bit on auction fees while keeping the gun in your possession. You can place a add here or guns America or any number of various gun boards that focus on collectable firearms. You can also Google Walther forums and see what pops up, I'm sure there's a Walther dedicated forum somewhere out there. Take it to a gun shop and ask them about retail value, I've done this in the past and never had an issue getting an answer even though I made it clear I wasn't interested in selling the gun to the shop.
    Last edited by wellcraft; December 26th, 2017 at 08:47 AM.

(Beaver County)

This is not a typical gun for Gun Broker or our forums. I checked out the Walther forums but information for high end collectables is slim there also. I really dont need to deal with pages of dopey replies for a gun that is not mine.

Just looking for good solid contact information.

Edit: I guess what I'm saying is that we already have an appraisal from Rock Island. I am looking for an educated buyer/collector to double certify the authenticity and maybe to purchase.
    Last edited by DucatiRon; December 26th, 2017 at 09:57 AM.

(Montgomery County)

Look up Edward Tinker. He used to live in the Bucks County/Montgomery County border and is an expert on Walthers. I picked up a 1935 PPK from him still with the European mag release. Ed is also well known on Gunboards so he is the chap I would contact. Dave_N

(Beaver County)

Thank you Dave. That's the kind of info I'm looking for.

(Indiana County)

Why do you think it’s not for GunBroker?

A couple years ago a Mosin rifle sold for $21,000 on GB.
    There are piles of collectors who buy off of GunBroker.
    Heck, I just found a Chinese Tokarev non-import that should be here next week, not a high dollar collectible but they are a little hard to find.

GunBroker isn’t just for hunting rifles.

He can list it with a reserve and do a 14 day featured auction or he can list it for 30 days with just a Buy It Now price.
    The only fees upfront are any “add-ons” like featured or highlighted listings.
    He only pays if it sells.

Limiting the sale to a single buyer is kinda silly if it’s a real gem of a gun.
    Let two or hopefully more collectors go at it trying to win it.

(Beaver County)

I honestly didnt think it would get the visibility it needed off of gunbroker in a 14 day auction. Although it may well.

If it goes to GB I will almost certainly would also have to handle the sale.

And was looking for an expert to double check everything we were told. And possibly sell to someone else that may want to deal with auctions.

I'm not against using GB, just want the best outcome for my friend with my minimal involvement. I'm just looking for a place or person to steer him in the right direction because he does not have internet or a computer.

(Indiana County)

Keep in mind, auction estimates are usually going to be higher than what a collector is going to pay (unless he’s bidding against someone).

If you go to Joe The Walther Collector with that Rock Island estimate and think he’s going to pay that you are most likely mistaken.
    There may be exceptions, but since I don’t know the history of the piece I’m just stating that in general a collector wants a deal and is not interested in paying retail.
    Joe will probably say that if you want to chance the Rock Island Auction and pay their fees if the item sells for what they claim then go for it, then he’ll try bidding on it to get it for a lower price at that same auction.

If you have a price in mind maybe you can try posting it on Gunboards.
    If the price is reasonable for what the item is, it will be snatched up.
    Jump over to their forum and at almost any hour of the day there are a 75 or more people looking at the want to sell ads, during peak times it hits 200+.

I still think that with good pictures it would do well on GunBroker.
    Serious collectors search daily for new items, if it’s an exciting item word will spread on the appropriate forums.
    For instance, I’ve been itching to replace the Dan Wesson Supermag I sold years ago, I check GB every two days if not daily for new listings.

That all said, tomorrow when I can get to my desktop I have some places bookmarks that do consignments on higher end firearms.
    They are established places, I’ll send you a pm if you’d like.

(Beaver County)

Some contact info would be great. Similar pistols have sold around 12k recently on Rock Island. This was valued 12-15k from pictures by Rock Island.

(Chester County)

Try Legacy Collectibles in Paoli PA. Tom is quite knowledgeable and reasonable in his negotiations. I believe the website URL is www.legacy-collectibles.com. Good luck.

Peace

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast