Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Anyone reloading 7.5x55 Swiss?

For some reason the bolt wont close fully (couple of mm left) with my reloads. I reloaded using Prvi shells (new, unfired ones), ran them in a die before priming, and all lengths are within allowed limits. I wonder if anyone had the same problem. It closes fine with GP11 rounds. Thank you

(Blair County)

Default Re: Anyone reloading 7.5x55 Swiss?

Sounds like the sizing die is not set properly. How are you measuring the distance from the head to the datum line?
    Steve

(Luzerne County)

I reload for the K-31.

I use Graf brass and RCBS dies. Don't have any problems closing the bolt. As the other Steve said, you might not have the die adjusted correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by W123driver View Post
    For some reason the bolt wont close fully (couple of mm left) with my reloads. I reloaded using Prvi shells (new, unfired ones), ran them in a die before priming, and all lengths are within allowed limits. I wonder if anyone had the same problem. It closes fine with GP11 rounds. Thank you
    Yes. The K-31 has a short throat. You need to get your own OAL using the slug your loading, not go by the book. Depending on the ogive of the slug it will hit the lands before you can close the bolt. Take an empty shell that has been sized and trimmed, no primer in it. Start the slug you are using into the neck. Put the shell into the rifle, close the bolt quickly, then pull the bolt back and recover the shell. This will be your OAL hitting the lands, back off from that a few thousandths and your set. I have 6 K-31s and they are all short in the throat and I had to do this to everyone of them. None will chamber a shell if I use the book lengths.
    Last edited by cosmo05; September 22nd, 2008 at 07:41 AM.

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by cosmo05 View Post
    Yes. The K-31 has a short throat. You need to get your own OAL using the slug your loading, not go by the book. Depending on the olgive of the slug it will hit the lands before you can close the bolt. Take an empty shell that has been sized and trimmed, no primer in it. Start the slug you are using into the neck. Put the shell into the rifle, close the bolt quickly, then pull the bolt back and recover the shell. This will be your OAL hitting the lands, back off from that a few thousandths and your set. I have 6 K-31s and they are all short in the throat and I had to do this to everyone of them. None will chamber a shell if I use the book lengths.
    Ditto ,I have 3 k31s and basicly use the same procedure
    DAN