Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Pike County)

Default Remington R1 Enhanced Threaded

Just picked up a new R1 enhanced with threaded barrel this morning... more of a spur of the moment, "thanks for being such an awesome dude" reward to gift myself.

This is my second 1911 (I'm usually a 9mm kinda guy). The first one I bought was a Sig Scorpion which I still have. I can therefore only compare this Remy to the Sig in terms of user experience.

Right of the bat, the R1 enhanced threaded shot reliably. No problems whatsoever. The Sig on the other hand for the first 1000 rounds or so had constant issues with the slide failing to return to battery despite whatever I did. It had to go back to Sig twice. On the other hand, the R1 just goes bang every time I pull the trigger. Very impressed so far with its performance out of the box.

It also feels a tad more accurate. At 25 yards, I'd estimate 2 MOA shooting free hand without really trying. The barrel bushing is very tight, and barrel play seems nonexistent. Lockup I feel is good as well due to repeatable accuracy with the R1. The Sig once it started running reliably always shot to the left, so I suppose it's accurate as well since it's repeatable although the sights probably need adjustment. The R1's trigger is crisp, and feels like it breaks around 4, maybe 4.5 pounds. It feels similar to the Sig trigger which in my opinion is very nice. It is a bit loose though and wobbles a bit so I'll have to look into that. The R1 does utilize a series 80 firing pin safety mechanism so pull weight could be improved if you modify the system a bit.

Slide to frame fit in terms of aesthetics is better on the R1. Remington took the time to blend the slide and frame perfectly; no overhanging edges out back. There is a little slide wobble on the R1 which is a non-issue. The Scorpion is still very tight even after 1000+ rounds showing very little if no slide wobble/play at all. Sig did a shit job with the slide/frame blend on my Scorpion though. You'll find pics if you do a search for it here. The Sig's slide does appear and feel to be dehorned. The R1 has a bunch of sharp edges and corners. I don't really care. If I run out of ammo, both will suffice as a blunt object with the R1 being a tad less blunt.

Then there's the usual blah blah that some people like to harp over. The R1 has a forged carbon slide and cast carbon frame. The Sig has a forged stainless slide and forged frame. Personally, I couldn't care less. Both guns will outlast me. I just want whatever I carry to shoot minute of cranium at 10-25 yards reliably. The R1 will do that without breaking a sweat.

Overall, I like the R1 enhanced threaded model. Not sure if I can ever convince Bueki to sign off on a suppressor for me, but if he does, then I'll be ready to go. Price-wise, the Sig cost me close to a grand after NICS and taxes. The R1 enhanced threaded set me back about $800 which is a no brainer. If you can get one at that price, then I'd say go for it as well.

I attached a photo of my new toy. Sorry for the crappy cell-phone quality. If you have any questions about the R1, feel free to ask.

And a quick shot of both the Scorpion and the R1:
    Last edited by amstel78; August 17th, 2013 at 03:23 PM.
    Don't wish ill for your enemies. Plan it.

Default Re: Remington R1 Enhanced Threaded

Quote Originally Posted by amstel78 View Post
    At 25 yards, I'd estimate 2 MOA shooting free hand without really trying.
    Not trying to split hairs, but 2 MOA at 25 yds is a beaver hair over 1/2". Did you mean 2"? That would seem more feasible and still be indicative of good accuracy.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by 300WM View Post
    Not trying to split hairs, but 2 MOA at 25 yds is a beaver hair over 1/2". Did you mean 2"? That would seem more feasible and still be indicative of good accuracy.
    Yes, thank you for pointing that out. At 25 yards, I'm not talking about MOA; rather 2" maybe 2.5" deviation from POI using PMC. Apologies for the confusion... I'm a rifle guy who tends to spend most time at the 100.

If I had an out-of-box 1/2" 1911 at 25 yards I'd be crapping myself. I'd also probably be reveling in my new found skills and thus bragging about it to whoever'd listen. This unfortunately is not the case. LOL...
    Last edited by amstel78; August 17th, 2013 at 04:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by amstel78 View Post

If I had an out-of-box 1/2" 1911 at 25 yards I'd be crapping myself. I'd also probably be reveling in my new found skills and thus bragging about it to whoever'd listen. This unfortunately is not the case. LOL...
    Stan Chen's ad...http://store.chencustom.com/9mm_s/94.htm

I use this ammo and though I don't have a sub 1.5" 50 yd 1911, I do have a PT that I've worked on quite a bit to get just under 2.8" with a Nikon 8X. At 50 yds, hitting 4" clays 10 out of 10 times is great for the ego, and with a tightened PT with all factory parts (except for Hogue rubber grip), to boot.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Lackawanna County)

Definately my next 1911 purchase to run an osprey .45 suppressor on.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by fastfive0 View Post
    Definately my next 1911 purchase to run an osprey .45 suppressor on.
    Definitely a great gun for a suppressor platform. I think you'd be happy with it.
    As for me, going to look into a trust as my CLEO won't sign off on a silencer. He'll sign off on class-3 full auto but not a can... go figure.

(Allegheny County)

i have a stainless R1 enhanced as well. i find myself shooting it more than my TRP and my nighthawk.

although, my slide to frame fit is horrible on the rear. alot of overhang. i don't really care though. loose slide/frame and a bit wobbly.

i like it though.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by corey4
    i have a stainless R1 enhanced as well. i find myself shooting it more than my TRP and my nighthawk.

although, my slide to frame fit is horrible on the rear. alot of overhang. i don't really care though. loose slide/frame and a bit wobbly.

i like it though.
    Sorry to hear about the slide to frame issue on your gun. that sucks. In my case, the blend is perfect on the Remington but a bit of underhang on the Sig. The ejector on the Remington on the other hand isn't so good; it's recessed a bit when compared to the slide and frame. Nothing's perfect I suppose although my ejector can be replaced with an extended piece with minor effort.

Got pics?

Posted from Pafoa.org App for Android

(Allegheny County)

the non functional aesthetics don't bother me. as long as it works.

i'll get pics up later tonight.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by corey4 View Post
    the non functional aesthetics don't bother me. as long as it works.
    As long as it goes bang every time the trigger is pulled, that's the important bit. 1911s can be a bit finicky until broken in or worked on.. at least that's what I've discovered. Fortunately, the R1 works very well... probably has a lot to do with the mags and followers which are very similar to those sold by Wilson Combat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast