Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remington R51

(Bucks County)

Default Remington R51

OK, I've read all the bad reviews and certainly the opinions here in other threads posted by members who likely read the same reviews but have no practical experience.
    I looked at and handled one today, and damn it's a fine looking pistol and feels perfect in my hand. Probably the best feeling and looking single stack 9 I've handled.
    Does anyone have any practical hands on experience that's not based on third party reviews to share?
    Thanks in advance
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere. Voltaire

(Clearfield County)

Default Re: Remington R51

I would tell you not to get it on general principle because you missed out on the $100 rebate by a month.

I have one, get it as a curio but not if you intend it for defensive use. I probably posted a review on here after I bought it. I agree with you that they feel very nice in the hand, but the design has a lot of questionable choices.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by raxar View Post
    I would tell you not to get it on general principle because you missed out on the $100 rebate by a month.

I have one, get it as a curio but not if you intend it for defensive use. I probably posted a review on here after I bought it. I agree with you that they feel very nice in the hand, but the design has a lot of questionable choices.
    Have you experienced any failures at the range?

(Clearfield County)

Quote Originally Posted by buxbandit View Post
    Have you experienced any failures at the range?
    You know, I genuinely can't remember. I was dicking around with it quite a bit earlier in the summer but then devoted my 9mm to the g17 the rest of the summer. Accuracy with it was never quite what I want out of a defensive gun.

(Washington County)

AFAIK there are literally no good reviews of this gun. I don't know about you, but I don't have to personally smoke crack to know its a bad life decision.

The RP9 is a turd too. Remington just can't make anything decent any longer. I do not doubt you can get an R51 running good if you can do your own smith work and machining. I'll buy one if I can find one cheap enough because I can work on it. I like the overall design of the gun, primarily for a range gun. Remington just is way off on the execution.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by marinville View Post
    AFAIK there are literally no good reviews of this gun. I don't know about you, but I don't have to personally smoke crack to know its a bad life decision.
    So, you've never fired one?

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    The RP9 is a turd too. Remington just can't make anything decent any longer. I do not doubt you can get an R51 running good if you can do your own smith work and machining. I'll buy one if I can find one cheap enough because I can work on it. I like the overall design of the gun, primarily for a range gun. Remington just is way off on the execution.
    So, you've never fired one?

(Berks County)

I have r51, rm380, rp9 and like all of them.

I have hi-point

I have Keltec

I like them all.

That's full disclosure.

I'm don't give a s**t about impressing other people or being subject to elitest disdain. Progressives got me over that.

What I do know for a fact is that every company puts out lemons and turds as well as decent products. The motivation to complain is exponentially higher than the motivation to prase. Expect much more negative reviews on the Internet. Check out the gun you are buying like your being paid to check it out for someone else.

Get one put 500-1000 rounds through it then you tell us. Not many people are going to take a chance on a pistol that was reliably able to fire out of battery and rightfully so. If I saw one super cheap I would buy it but it would never hit my carry rotation regardless of how many rounds it successfully fire. Remington as a whole is in danger of going under and there is good reason for that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast