Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Training Centers, Classes?

Where does one find training courses in the Montgomery/Bucks/Chester/Lehigh area? I'll take just about anything I can find at this point. The training and regional forums don't seem very active on this or anything else for that matter. I would like to take something that would be good for Florida, but really I'm just interested in anything. Someone told me about an armed security guard course that covers the legal and technical basics taught by the county...any further info available on that?
    TIA

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Training Centers, Classes?

www.argivedefense.com and west shore sportsmens near Harrisburg.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by TonyF View Post
    www.argivedefense.com and west shore sportsmens near Harrisburg.
    Thanks for that link, Tony... it turns out they're about 15 minutes from my house, and I didn't even know. Looks like excellent programs too.

looks like some good courses...but they don't have a single one scheduled....

really, I thought this would be an easy question... :-(

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by emsjeep View Post
    looks like some good courses...but they don't have a single one scheduled....
    Follow their DIRECTIONS link to the Hellertown Sportsmen's Association and you'll see several courses scheduled.

I guess you don't have to be a member of the club? This can't be the only option within 50 miles. Can it?

If you want the basics and want to be qualified for a FL CCW, just take an NRA Basic Pistol course. This will teach you the minimum to get you up and running safely, but it isn't going to get you comfortable with anything other than loading, unloading, shooting, cleaning, etc. It will however be a good basis for you to go onto further (more "tactical") training if you so desire. The NRA also offers more advanced courses of Personal Protection In the Home and Outside the Home. Your other alternatives would be to find a "traveling" school / instructor who happens to be teaching something you want in the area. Either that or you travel.

You can probably find an available NRA course on their website... or pm me since I'm an instructor and can help you out.

As for the armed guard course... it's the PA Act 235 certification. If you're not going to be getting it specifically for employment, it's a big waste of time and money. The firearms portion of the class is VERY weak and the legal stuff taught in the class is extremely basic. The class isn't taught be the county... just by schools permitted to do so by the state. Unless you're getting a job, I'd definitely pass.
    Last edited by tacticalreload; September 22nd, 2008 at 03:09 PM.

I may need 235 in the coming years for a job that may be allowed to upgrade to "armed", but no one is really sure at this point. If it isn't a huge commitment I might want to take it. I'll look into the rest. I think it would be neat to go down to NC and go to Blackwater for their open classes, and i have some time next year to do it, so maybe just the basic course to cover my permit applications for now.
    Thanks again!