Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast
    (Juniata County)

Default Re: Mossberg Shockwave

Quote Originally Posted by Mosinshooter762 View Post
    I am sort of getting why one might consider this a 6102 firearm but with a lot of questions. If it is considered a shotgun with a barrel less than 18 inches under Pennsylvania law than why could it not also be considered a Section 908 Prohibited Offensive Weapon?
    § 908. Prohibited offensive weapons.
    (c) Definitions.--As used in this section, the following words and phrases shall have the meanings given to them in this subsection:
    "Firearm." Any weapon which is designed to or may readily be converted to expel any projectile by the action of an explosive or the frame or receiver of any such weapon.
    "Offensive weapons." Any bomb, grenade, machine gun, sawed-off shotgun with a barrel less than 18 inches, firearm specially made or specially adapted for concealment or silent discharge, any blackjack, sandbag, metal knuckles, dagger, knife, razor or cutting instrument, the blade of which is exposed in an automatic way by switch, push-button, spring mechanism, or otherwise, any stun gun, stun baton, taser or other electronic or electric weapon or other implement for the infliction of serious bodily injury which serves no common lawful purpose.

The highlighted part is what matters. It isn't sawed-off. It isn't changed from the manufacturer design. It is a shotgun, that happens to have a barrel length of less then 18 inches.

Now, if you shortened it, yourself, then you would be breaking the law.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

Quote Originally Posted by PAMedic=F|A= View Post
    § 908. Prohibited offensive weapons.
    (c) Definitions.--As used in this section, the following words and phrases shall have the meanings given to them in this subsection:
    "Firearm." Any weapon which is designed to or may readily be converted to expel any projectile by the action of an explosive or the frame or receiver of any such weapon.
    "Offensive weapons." Any bomb, grenade, machine gun, sawed-off shotgun with a barrel less than 18 inches, firearm specially made or specially adapted for concealment or silent discharge, any blackjack, sandbag, metal knuckles, dagger, knife, razor or cutting instrument, the blade of which is exposed in an automatic way by switch, push-button, spring mechanism, or otherwise, any stun gun, stun baton, taser or other electronic or electric weapon or other implement for the infliction of serious bodily injury which serves no common lawful purpose.

The highlighted part is what matters. It isn't sawed-off. It isn't changed from the manufacturer design. It is a shotgun, that happens to have a barrel length of less then 18 inches.

Now, if you shortened it, yourself, then you would be breaking the law.
    This assumes for one that no manufacturer is reducing the barrel length at all in the process of making the pistol grip ‘shotgun’.

(Jefferson County)

You should have a bigger worry that the ATF changes their mind and considers it an AOW. ...especially with the fact that 26" isn't a requirement in law.

The PSP's opinion would be the least of my concerns.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    You should have a bigger worry that the ATF changes their mind and considers it an AOW. ...especially with the fact that 26" isn't a requirement in law.

The PSP's opinion would be the least of my concerns.
    Or a destructive device because the bore is over half inch, and has no particular "sporting purpose"

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by USMC3531 View Post
    Or a destructive device because the bore is over half inch, and has no particular "sporting purpose"
    Sure it does, they're great for rabbit hunting with a red dot. Don't have the barrel or stock hanging on briars and underbrush.

At least with the ATF there is guidance, whether correct or incorrect, that these are currently Title 1 firearms. Yes, it is true that ATF could change on a dime and reclassify this as a Destructive Device (or as an NFA AOW) like what was done with the Armsel Striker 12. At least as to the Federal Government one can probably muster up some type of due process reasonable reliance based defense against a prosecution for possession prior to an announcement by ATF or a court as to a change to interpretation or enforcement. There is no such guidance from the PSP that I am aware of that these are not considered a Prohibited Offensive Weapon, either because that they are not a sawed off shotgun or other implement for the infliction of serious bodily injury which serves no common lawful purpose. I was concerned to read that case law in Pennsylvania seems to indicate that weapons that have the appearance of an enumerated Prohibited Offensive Weapon are also prohibited. I want these to be legal but I am very concerned about seeing these as any more than a collectors item until the legal risks in Pennsylvania are resolved.

(Clearfield County)

At least with the ATF there is guidance, whether correct or incorrect, that these are currently Title 1 firearms. Yes, it is true that ATF could change on a dime and reclassify this as a Destructive Device (or as an NFA AOW) like what was done with the Armsel Striker 12. At least as to the Federal Government one can probably muster up some type of due process reasonable reliance based defense against a prosecution for possession prior to an announcement by ATF or a court as to a change to interpretation or enforcement. There is no such guidance from the PSP that I am aware of that these are not considered a Prohibited Offensive Weapon, either because that they are not a sawed off shotgun or other implement for the infliction of serious bodily injury which serves no common lawful purpose. I was concerned to read that case law in Pennsylvania seems to indicate that weapons that have the appearance of an enumerated Prohibited Offensive Weapon are also prohibited. I want these to be legal but I am very concerned about seeing these as any more than a collectors item until the legal risks in Pennsylvania are resolved.
    Considering the number of stores that carry them, and the number that have been sold I think that kind of case would be quickly thrown out.

(Clinton County)

Quote Originally Posted by raxar View Post
    Considering the number of stores that carry them, and the number that have been sold I think that kind of case would be quickly thrown out.
    Seriously this^.
    Maybe we should keep asking about them and writing letters until we get them banned. Let it rest! If you want one buy one. If you don't want one don't buy one.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    μολ ν λαβέ
    What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Gixxer View Post
    Seriously this^.
    Maybe we should keep asking about them and writing letters until we get them banned. Let it rest! If you want one buy one. If you don't want one don't buy one.
    I agree with this as to the ATF as there is already much in writing about the legality of this. Once you have an answer from the agency, stop asking. As to Pennsylvania, to each his own on whether you want something in writing about the legality of this.

(Clinton County)

I agree with this as to the ATF as there is already much in writing about the legality of this. Once you have an answer from the agency, stop asking. As to Pennsylvania, to each his own on whether you want something in writing about the legality of this.
    The legality of what? Something you can buy off of the wall at almost any gun shop in the state? I wouldn't worry about it, but if you are there's nothing saying you have to report a lost or stolen gun.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    μολ ν λαβέ
    What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms!

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast