Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Default Re: Mossberg Shockwave

I was specifically referring to pistol grip only shotgun shell firing firearms with barrel lengths of less than 18 inches (subject to certain other parameters). I am not convinced that a particular weapon being currently readily available eliminates the risk of prosecution. I see a lot of bats with nails and barbed wire currently being sold at gun shows. I am not convinced that there is no risk of prosecution for possession of a Prohibited Offensive Weapon as an add on charge if one is used in self defense.

Likewise, I was interested in keeping a firearm like the Mossberg Shockwave for self defense. After reading and participating in this thread, I am now hesitant to keep a Mossberg Shockwave for self defense because I would rather there be no serious question as to the current legality of a defensive firearm under state law. I do not want the possibility of a lifetime firearm ban under federal law add-on charge in an otherwise justified self defense case.

(Clinton County)

I'm not sure whether you're trying to convince others here or yourself not to buy one by beating this into the ground and not letting well enough alone. You aren't comfortable owning one fine. There are probably thousands in the state that are. The boogeyman will come for what he wants when he wants up to and including all arms not just the shockwave firearms. People aren't refraining from buying what they want on the off chance it might be banned by some unconstitutional decree when historically the opposite happens when there is a threat to the right to own a particular firearm. I'd say buy one, have fun with it and quit worrying about it. Or don't buy one.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    μολ ν λαβέ
    What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms!

You are entitled to your opinion, but you did seem to ask for me to respond to the previous post. I agree with a lot of what you have to say up until the point where you disagree about discussing potential traps or pitfalls that may exist under state law. Discussing this is especially important for those who may not be familiar with this potential problem. I was not aware of the state law problems until recently. We should make informed choices based on available information. It is clear that my concern is not primarily about collecting or shooting such firearms as you keep suggesting. The concern is about keeping one for self defense and especially, God forbid, having to use such firearm in a controversial high publicity self defense case with an anti-gun District Attorney. That is all.
    Last edited by Mosinshooter762; November 10th, 2019 at 09:04 PM.

(Clinton County)

Understood.

It can all come crashing down tomorrow for all we know but for now, these have the green light and it's just as simple as that.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    μολ ν λαβέ
    What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms!

(Juniata County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    You should have a bigger worry that the ATF changes their mind and considers it an AOW. ...especially with the fact that 26" isn't a requirement in law.

The PSP's opinion would be the least of my concerns.
    I really have trouble understanding this, considering the GCA of 1934 was only held up because most of the weapons had "no legitimate military purpose". Especially shotguns, considering the current standard issue shotgun has a barrel of 7 3/4th inches. Is only 18 inches long. Comes with a removable pistol grip. Removable stock. It boggles the mind.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by PAMedic=F|A= View Post
    I really have trouble understanding this, considering the GCA of 1934 was only held up because most of the weapons had "no legitimate military purpose". Especially shotguns, considering the current standard issue shotgun has a barrel of 7 3/4th inches. Is only 18 inches long. Comes with a removable pistol grip. Removable stock. It boggles the mind.
    The Miller case was a farce. The government went on with the case even after Miller had passed away. Given that both short barreled rifles & shotguns and machine guns are today standard military weaponry in common use, the US v Miller case should protect ownership of them. ...but we all known how that is.

Then you have the Heller & McDonald cases that practically only protect sporting and self-defense firearms. ...and even with that, some states cannot read past a few certain words about "in the home".

As the text of the law stands, the AOW description doesn't set a 26" threshold. There are some AOW's with shoulder stocks and some over 26" because of combination barrels. Then you have the Destructive Device issue which it could also fall under.

It is all a load of crap, and of which we should be grateful that firearms like the Shockwave was determined to be a "other firearm" by the ATF. And a "firearm" by the PSP.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011