Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Berks County)

Default Precision Delta 38 cal/38 super Bullets - 357 magnum reloads

I’ve purchased FMJ bullets from Precision Delta in the past and have been very happy with them when reloading. I’m getting set up to start reloading 357 mag. My question, they offer both a “38 cal” and a “38 super” bullet. Would either of these work for 357 magnum?

The specs for the 38 super 124 gr FMJ bullet are shown here:

https://www.precisiondelta.com/produ...mj-case-1-000/

Unfortunately no specs shown for the “38 cal” they offer.

Also, should I be using a small pistol magnum primer or just regular small pistol primer when reloading for 357 magnum? My manual says magnum primer but I’ve talked to other people saying they’ve just used regular small pistol.

Thanks for the input!

(Susquehanna County)

Default Re: Precision Delta 38 cal/38 super Bullets - 357 magnum reloads

The specs speak for themselves. The .38 SUPER bullet is "Caliber .38, Diameter .356". Jacketed bullets for .38 Special/.357 Magnum are typically 0.357". Cast lead and coated bullets are typically 0.358".

If you want to stick with that brand name you want to look at these items: https://www.precisiondelta.com/products/bullets/38-cal/ FWIW 125 gr. data would probably be alright for the 130 gr. Jacketed bullets they list. As to primers you should use what is called for in your data source. But if magnum primers are called for and only standard small pistol are available you can use them just start at the beginning load and work up.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Clarion County)

The link you provide shows bullets sized .356. Undersized in my opinion. Commercial jacketed for the .357 are sized .357 and commercial cast bullets are .358.
    One example: http://www.steelvalleycasting.com/38...r-bullets.html
    As far as the primers it depends on the powder.
    Some info on what you plan to use would helpful for answers.

Brick beat me for answer.
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

(Berks County)

Thanks guys. Sorry for being ignorant regarding the 38 bullet sizes. Looks like the 38 cal. bullets would work, I will contact PD for exact specs. As far as powder goes, I plan on using Hodgdon Titegroup.
    Last edited by Rush2112; December 16th, 2017 at 07:43 PM.

Titegroup will work but a double charge can go unnoticed rather easily and you end up with pieces. I like to use a powder that fills the case up at least half way. Standard vs magnum primer will depend on what level the load is at for power/pressure. A magnum primer often can increase group sizes. You need at least .357" bullets. Usually bullets listed as ".38cal" are for .38special or .357mag (at least .357") and bullets listed as 9mm or for .38super are .355"-.356".
    Last edited by dkf; December 17th, 2017 at 12:07 AM.

(Lebanon County)

My favorite powder for .357 Magnum loads is Hodgdon Lil' Gun pushing a .357" or .358" diameter bullet from 158 grain up to 180 grain. Stay away from .356" projectiles, they are for 9mm, .38 Super or .380 and will probably just fall into a properly sized .38 Special or .357 Magnum case because there won't be enough neck tension to hold an under size bullet making it virtually impossible to achieve consistently proper C.O.L and consistent / sufficient chamber pressure. Follow the load recipe exactly, do not use less than the starting load for the bullet weight you are using with that powder. If you take a good look at the load data for that powder and compare it to others you'll see that the chamber pressure is pretty low for the velocity you'll be getting. If you use a lighter powder charge you won't produce enough chamber pressure to achieve complete combustion and your velocity will vary a LOT, it could even leave you with a bullet stuck in the barrel. If you follow the recipe you'll be loading your case nearly full of powder, even with the starting loads, no chance for a double charge and no room for an overload with a 158 grain bullet. (The maximum load is 18.0 grains of powder and that will fill the case).

In spite of the lower pressure there will be no doubt that you are shooting a magnum load. The report and the felt recoil will leave you wondering how that's possible with the lower pressure, 18 grains behind a 158 grain bullet is a full power magnum load with no chance of blowing up your gun due to too much powder. That's my favorite load because of the accuracy and full power combined with the safety factor. Use the right diameter bullet with enough powder and you'll be pleased with the power and accuracy.

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/pistol

Also take note that Hodgdon Lil' Gun is not listed as a powder to be used for .38 Special, .38 Special+P, .38 Super or 9mm loads, it is a magnum handgun powder and smaller bore shotgun powder only.

I don't have a short temper, I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

(Berks County)

Thanks for all the info. For those interested, I contacted Precision Delta and their “38 cal” bullets are indeed .357” in diameter.