Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Restoring rights

I have an 18yr old felony conviction. My pardon app is currently sitting on the governors desk awaiting signature. My question being if he signs it what additional will I need to do in order to legally own and posess a firearm? In my younger years i took all of my liberties for granted and I hope to restore all the rights my stupidity took away

Default Re: Restoring rights

Congrats on getting it that far with a felony. My understanding is you need to go through interviews and hearings before it reached the governor. AFAIK you need to expunge your record, with the signed pardon being the required document for a judge to order the record expunged. After that is completed you should be GTG. I presume you have an attorney. If not I would strongly recommend retaining one for the final phase.

Good luck.

I have an attorney. The whole process took almost 4 years and cost me $3,000 and was one of the hardest thing I ever had to face.... I wasn't sure if the pardon was enough or if I still needed to expunge.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Charlierock79 View Post
    I have an attorney. The whole process took almost 4 years and cost me $3,000 and was one of the hardest thing I ever had to face.... I wasn't sure if the pardon was enough or if I still needed to expunge.
    $3000???? Whoaaaaa, I have a friend who did his own, said it took about six years.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

I wanted it done right and quickly so hence the 3g.... The lt gov has really streamlined the process as of late so they say they have the public hearing within 3yrs mine took almost 4

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    $3000???? Whoaaaaa, I have a friend who did his own, said it took about six years.
    Your friend got a pardon signed by the governor with no legal representation or training? I didn't think it was that easy.

If the OP only paid $3000 for a pardon he got by cheap. A good lawyer could cost you $300 an hour. Even at $200 an hour that's only 15 billed hours for a 4 year process. he did good.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlierock79 View Post
    I wanted it done right and quickly so hence the 3g.... The lt gov has really streamlined the process as of late so they say they have the public hearing within 3yrs mine took almost 4
    I think it's 3k well spent.

Good luck and keep your nose clean!

Honestly the lawyer served 3 purposes

Proffesionally filling out the app which he charged me $1400
    Prepping for the public hearing (which is most important) which was a $1500 retainer
    And appearance purposes ie... Being able to hire an attorney shows the board financial security and stability

Having an experienced pardon attorney to prep for the hearing is crucial. Mine sat beside me and adjusted my statement as he saw the boards reactions to others statements

(Bucks County)

I know someone who spent over $4K (on attorney) getting his PA driver's license restored back around 1990, which was all paperwork and correspondence. I think $3K today is a very modest charge for representation including personal appearance.

(Centre County)

Back to a question the OP had. Even though you got a pardon, IIRC, you will still need to get the conviction expunged from all your records. Even with the pardon, the PICS will probably come back denied if the records aren't expunged. Then you would need to do the challenge form and probably give a copy of the pardon but even that doesn't mean the PSP will wipe your record. You might check into getting a UPIN (Unique Personal Identification Number) and when you buy a firearm, tell the FFL so he can talk directly to a PICs operator to give them that information.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast