Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Help with identifying Rifle

I want to THANK everyone in advance for any info concerning a WWI era rifle. It was located in the cross bracing of the floor joists in my late uncles home. I am the executor of his estate and am his sole surviving kin. The chore of cleaning out the very modest place has been uneventful till this appeared. The markings are as follows; DANZIG 1917 (looks like exo.98 is stamped on the forward side of the receiver) It is a bolt action with a 5 round (top loading) internal magazine. The safety on the rear of the bolt is in FIRE position when rotated to the left-horizontal position and the safety is ON when vertical. Nice fold up 'ladder type' rear sight. Many ways the firearm resembles the 1903 Springfield but not as long or as robust.
    The paper cup of 12 rounds of ammo have a Head stamp as follows: @12 oclock position is the number 12 - 3 oclock is a STAR - 6 oclock is the number 55 and at 9 oclock ia another STAR. I know 'little' if ANYTHING of this era or being of foreign origin. Again, thanx for any assistance in describing gun and ammo.

(Clearfield County)

Default Re: Help with identifying Rifle

Quote Originally Posted by Winchester3 View Post
    I want to THANK everyone in advance for any info concerning a WWI era rifle. It was located in the cross bracing of the floor joists in my late uncles home. I am the executor of his estate and am his sole surviving kin. The chore of cleaning out the very modest place has been uneventful till this appeared. The markings are as follows; DANZIG 1917 (looks like exo.98 is stamped on the forward side of the receiver) It is a bolt action with a 5 round (top loading) internal magazine. The safety on the rear of the bolt is in FIRE position when rotated to the left-horizontal position and the safety is ON when vertical. Nice fold up 'ladder type' rear sight. Many ways the firearm resembles the 1903 Springfield but not as long or as robust.
    The paper cup of 12 rounds of ammo have a Head stamp as follows: @12 oclock position is the number 12 - 3 oclock is a STAR - 6 oclock is the number 55 and at 9 oclock ia another STAR. I know 'little' if ANYTHING of this era or being of foreign origin. Again, thanx for any assistance in describing gun and ammo.
    German 98 mauser, will need pictures to figure out the exact model, ammo sounds like Yugo surplus.

(York County)

This is obviously a century old rifle from a foreign country.

When contacting people remotely on a gun forum you obviously have the idea you are going to put into contact with folks who can give you an idea of what you found without a lot of effort.

However PLEASE send pictures. Take the time to learn how this site works. Post a few images to help us armchair gurus.

Raxar likely has nailed it as it sounds like the Gew 98, the primary service rifle of the Kaiser's German army of WW 1. However without pictures it could be one of the less common variants, or even a completely different gun based on a simple mis-interpretation of the markings.

This is what you should send so we can actually see what you have:
    1. At least one full length of whole rifle to see the general features
    2. A close up of markings: top or receiver & side.

That will help make a real ID on the type of weapon it is. As for value (which I assume is part of this request), a lot of variables can affect this.

Do all the serial numbers match? (receiver, bolt, trigger guard, barrel bands and safety)

It it importer marked?

Bore and overall condition? Describe an obvious and not so obvious defects in the wood and finish if the pictures don't clearly show this.

(Lackawanna County)

Some of you guys are downright scary in identifying older firearms.

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by NathanB View Post
    Some of you guys are downright scary in identifying older firearms.
    Rax for the thread win, Gewehr 98. This was an easy one as "Danzig 1917" was the giveaway.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    Rax for the thread win, Gewehr 98. This was an easy one as "Danzig 1917" was the giveaway.

Noah
    This.

Danzig is an easy one.

(Clearfield County)

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post

Noah
    Well it was either that or made by the lead singer of the Misfits, but I don't think he was around in 1917

(Berks County)

So now we don't get the pictures. Great job. /sarc

(Lehigh County)

Ammo is Privi Partizan: https://afte.org/resources/headstamp-guide Once again raxar hit the nail on the head!

Last edited by gghbi; December 16th, 2017 at 08:34 PM.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(York County)

A few decent pictures could answer all the questions. So its likely a fairly typical Gew 98 rifle, BUT then the OP added it was shorter than a 03 Springfield. The Gew 98 has a 29" barrel while the 1903 Springfield has a 24" barrel.

"Houston we have a problem"

So if it is shorter as the OP described, then maybe its actually the 98AZ short rifle. Big difference that a simple picture would solve.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast