Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Help with identifying Rifle

Easy way to post pictures from your computer, phone, tablet. (Anyone is free to copy and paste if you think this will help someone in the future)

1. Go to the site postimage.org
    2. Click "choose images"
    3. Choose Photo library
    4. Pick the picture or pictures you want.
    5. Click done
    6a. If you are only uploading 1 picture, copy the "hot link for forum" choice.
    6b. If you picked more than 1 picture, click where it says "codes for all images" and choose "hot links for forums". This will give you a link for each picture that you uploaded. Pick one and copy it.

Back in the pafoa reply box:

7. Paste the hot link and your picture is set to show in the post.
    7b. If you have more than 1 picture, paste each hot link in your post.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by internet troll; December 23rd, 2017 at 11:57 PM.

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by internet troll View Post
    Easy way to post pictures from your computer, phone, tablet. (Anyone is free to copy and paste if you think this will help someone in the future)

1. Go to the site postimage.org
    2. Click "choose images"
    3. Choose Photo library
    4. Pick the picture or pictures you want.
    5. Click done
    6a. If you are only uploading 1 picture, copy the direct link choice.
    6b. If you picked more than 1 picture, click where it says "codes for all images" and choose "direct link". This will give you a link for each picture that you uploaded. Pick one and copy it.

Back in the pafoa reply box:

7. Find the insert image icon. Click on it (it’s the icon with a tree in it, the one on the left in the picture)

8.click on "from url"
    9. Uncheck the "retrieve remote file and reference locally" box
    10. Cut and paste the direct url in the box
    11. Press okay.

And the picture is set up to show in your post. Do steps 6b-11 for each picture. It may seem like a lot of work, but once you do it a couple of times it will become fast and easy. Hope this helps.
    You’re doing extra and unneeded steps.

Once you upload the file you can simply copy the “hotlink for forum” link and paste it in your reply here.
    No need to use the forum functions.

Quote Originally Posted by 39flathead View Post
    You’re doing extra and unneeded steps.

Once you upload the file you can simply copy the “hotlink for forum” link and paste it in your reply here.
    No need to use the forum functions.

Damn, you learn something new everyday. I need to go back and edit the directions. Thanks for the heads up.

Last edited by internet troll; December 24th, 2017 at 12:04 AM.

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by internet troll View Post
    Damn, you learn something new everyday. I need to go back and edit the directions. Thanks for the heads up.

Sure thing.
    Using postimage is the easiest way I have found to post pictures here and on other forums.
    The copy and paste is great.

(Clearfield County)

Quote Originally Posted by Winchester3 View Post

HOLY CRAP,,,, I hope this worked!
    Sadly it is sporterized so worth maybe $150. Looks like it was a GEW 98 converted to 98k configuration

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by raxar View Post
    Sadly it is sporterized so worth maybe $150. Looks like it was a GEW 98 converted to 98k configuration
    What he said^^^

Can't begin to 'THANK YOU' all enough for your assistance in getting some info/details of this piece,,,, but more importantly, I want to "THANK YOU" for your patience and guidance in navigating through the 'process' of this sight. I will be sure to 'check in' often and will look forward to staying in touch. Wouldn't want to screw this 8mm Mauser any more than it was already altered. I have a place in Southeast Alaska and will probably take it there and stand in the corner for any bear activity around the house. I carry a Savage Weather Warrior in .308 Win with only a 19" barrel and fitted with a nice Leupold 4.5X14 Full Field scope when Moose or Goat hunting. But as the years are advancing,,, the moose are LOTS of work to dress, get out of the woods, haul home, and work up grinding burger, making jerky and sausage,,, +- 18 hours a day for 2 of us for 3 days. EXHAUSTING. And, as far as the Mountain Goats go,,, don't care for the meat, myself, but am always able to find locals that enjoy it,,,, and afterall, how many mounted trophies can you have,,,, the other issue is that they are WAY up beyond the sub alpine region and it's a L O N G way to carry it down. Gonna leave it for the younger crowd as I turn 68 this year with a knee that won't quit screaming at me sometimes. Quick note for those interested,,, the World Record Mountain Goat was harvested on the mountain behind my home back in 2007. The gentleman that took it, took it on his own 83rd Bday! The beast weighed in @ 418 Pounds and had a horn length of 13.25 inches. An unprecedented goat. Ole Ed, (died this past year) carried every bit of that animal off the hill, ate all the meat, had the fleece treated and gave it to his grandson and the head,,, proudly is mounted on his living room wall, next to all the documentation of it's record status. I've been fortunate enough to see that head many times. Simply put, it is M A G N I F I C E N T. Oh, BTW,,,, he took that goat with Bow and Arrow!!! No, not a modern compound bow, but an ordinary Long Bow that he said he bought at a yard sale in Seattle, Washington for 20 bucks!! Ed was one Hellava outdoorsman and I will miss his stories and knowledge. Neat story, Huh? Well, gonna run and THANX again for all your help.

(York County)

As already said, the rifle was converting into a hunting rifle from military configuration. It wears a rear sight indicating a long history in military service. Likely converted to a Kar configuration between the wars, and then brought over and sporterized after WW2 when people wanted to build inexpensive and incredibly rugged hunting rifles. So long as the internal condition is good enough I'd add another hundred dollars on the value. If the rifle still wears its original front sight, there are even collectors out there willing to restore it to its military dress these days.

If the bore is still good you can't find a more reliable or rugged hunting rifle. The 8mm Mauser in European loadings (Privi Partizan, PPU, Norma, etc...) is fully the equal to the mighty .30-06 and good for anything on the North American continent.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123