Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Allegheny County LTCF Renewal

I renewed my LCTF yesterday. Total time: 20 minutes, and that was primarily because PICS was on the fritz.

A few thoughts:

1) Fill out the renewal form in your browser using Adobe then print it. Waiting to complete the form at the courthouse means you get cramped at a small desk trying to fill out the form.
    2) Renewal box in upper right of the form, note that renewals don't require references.
    3) PA Photo ID and $20 cash are needed.

The backdrop for the photo is the US Flag, I like it.

I understand that other counties might be faster in processing but 20 minutes start to end in any government office isn't too bad.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Allegheny County LTCF Renewal

Quote Originally Posted by MikeStull View Post
    I renewed my LCTF yesterday. Total time: 20 minutes, and that was primarily because PICS was on the fritz.

A few thoughts:

1) Fill out the renewal form in your browser using Adobe then print it. Waiting to complete the form at the courthouse means you get cramped at a small desk trying to fill out the form.
    2) Renewal box in upper right of the form, note that renewals don't require references.
    3) PA Photo ID and $20 cash are needed.

The backdrop for the photo is the US Flag, I like it.

I understand that other counties might be faster in processing but 20 minutes start to end in any government office isn't too bad.
    Good for Allegheny!

As for Delaware County - I agree with #1, first half of #2, and first half of #3.

#1 - something in the back of my brain says some counties want you to fill it out in their office. Fairly certain they would prefer you not *sign* it in advance.

#2 - DelCo's instructions explicitly require references for original and renewal, though they don't require county residents: "No member of the sheriff's office, chief of police or judge of any kind may be a reference. You may not use members of the same household, or family member."

#3 - DelCo accepts cash or MO, explicitly no checks. Some counties might accept other payments.

(Allegheny County)

Just curious, do you have to check your firearm to go into the Sheriff's office? I know it has its own side entrance, separate from the courthouse, but can't remember if you have to go through security.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.K View Post

#2 - DelCo's instructions explicitly require references for original and renewal, though they don't require county residents: "No member of the sheriff's office, chief of police or judge of any kind may be a reference. You may not use members of the same household, or family member."
    I thought when Prince won the class action against Philly most counties stopped requiring them. The Chester county form still states references required, but you don't have to provide them. Might be the same way in Delco.
    Last edited by TotinMama; December 14th, 2017 at 04:15 AM.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by jaseman View Post
    Just curious, do you have to check your firearm to go into the Sheriff's office? I know it has its own side entrance, separate from the courthouse, but can't remember if you have to go through security.
    I wasn't carrying since I walked from work where carry in not allowed (my office is two blocks from the courthouse). You are correct, one enters through a side entrance to the courtyard then into the Sheriff's office. One does not need to pass through courthouse security to visit the Sheriff's office.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by TotinMama View Post
    I thought when Prince won the class action against Philly most counties stopped requiring them. The Chester county form still states references required, but you don't have to provide them. Might be the same way in Delco.
    1. The win was against Philly, not the state.
    2. The form promulgated by PSP still includes the spaces for 2 references.
    3. DelCo's "instructions" page is a bad scan of a printed page that has not been updated for over 2 years, so who knows.
    4. As much as I dislike the bow & scrape asking of permission to exercise the right guaranteed under both the US and PA Constitutions, I am not prepared to fight over the reference question at this time as I am in the closing stages of what is supposed to be an uncontested divorce where it seems that both lawyers are... let's just say "not the best"...

(Allegheny County)

I'm curious how this works if your current LTCF is issued from another county (relative to the one you now live in). Is is still considered a renewal? Does it even matter?

Related question: I realize you are supposed to do it in your county of residence...but if you go to do it in another county, are truthful in your paperwork, and that Sheriff is willing to issue it, will that fly? Does a Sheriff have the option/prerogative to issue to residents of other counties? Not that he would...but does it have that option? I'm just curious.

Oh shit..you know...I think mine may be close to expiring...if it hasn't already. Dammit, I now I need to look.

Update: OK, I've got until April (:
    Last edited by free; December 14th, 2017 at 03:05 PM.

(Warren County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.K View Post
    1. The win was against Philly, not the state.
    2. The form promulgated by PSP still includes the spaces for 2 references.
    3. DelCo's "instructions" page is a bad scan of a printed page that has not been updated for over 2 years, so who knows.
    4. As much as I dislike the bow & scrape asking of permission to exercise the right guaranteed under both the US and PA Constitutions, I am not prepared to fight over the reference question at this time as I am in the closing stages of what is supposed to be an uncontested divorce where it seems that both lawyers are... let's just say "not the best"...
    It's the 95% of asshole lawyers that give the rest a bad name.
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

(Allegheny County)

I think in the thread on this topic a few years back, I got mine done there in something like 7 minutes flat - with two people ahead of me.

(Allegheny County)

I renewed in Allegheny County just last month. I was in and out in 10 min. It would have been less if some asshat (that was clearly prohibited) didn't bother the LTCF processors with 20 questions on why he was denied a LTCF and what he had to do to get his criminal record expunged.

4. The office has always been bad, but since my last renewal it's turned into a shithole.
    5. Just an observation - I was the only white customer. Three young black women and two young black guys were filing out the forms in the waiting room. And of course the middle aged black gentlemen that was denied.
    Last edited by Hawk; December 15th, 2017 at 08:32 AM.
    Toujours prêt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast