Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Re: Situation with delivery man

White unmarked van? Should have asked him if he had any speakers for sale.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Delaware County)

Don’t be surprised if Amazon has tagged the address and won’t deliver there anymore.
    Don’t like me ???? Tough, I don’t give a flying f@@k about ya.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by danhr View Post
    Sooooo you brandished a pistol on a seasonal delivery guy that was doing what is considered a common practice in your area?

I probably wouldn't order anything fragile until after the holiday season.......
    Sorry but this is what I was thinking. Everything is not a nail.

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Ault View Post
    Have a question for ya , at no time did you announce your presence or yell " hey who are you what are you doing out there "? Till you were basicly face to face with the guy . Why? Did you want a close up interaction ? Hell let the barking dog out . If we're me and I lived quite a few years in a rural area with a 3/4 mile back driveway so I know the type of area you speak I would have anounced my presence before I got close rather than try to get the drop on a potential bad guy , and if it was a real bad guy I'd rather he run than me have him at gun point or even worse shoot .
    I was kind of sure it was a delivery that was being put into my car but they usually have markings and I did not see him or watch him putting anything in the car.
    Why not announce? I wanted to see where he (or possibly) they was (/were) and as soon as I saw him I did announce.. never menaced, just asked what he was doing there
    Also didn't want to let the dog go on an innocent driver just trying to make a delivery
    Retired US Army
    NRA Life Member, GOA, USCCA
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity"

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    The topic of "unmarked" trucks is debated regularly on landscaping forums.
    There are valid points either way, but there's no denying that a vehicle without a company logo/identification will always be seen as less professional and leaves people wondering if the business is legit - or worse.

Before I had my truck lettered, I was sitting at the curb writing up an estimate for someone who was not home.
    I noticed a guy across the street standing in his driveway near his vehicle, arms crossed aver his chest, watching me closely.
    I opened my door to go leave the estimate and waved hello. "I'm here to drop off a lawn care estimate for Susan", I said to him.
    Hearing me use his neighbor's name provided some credibility to what I said and he walked over and introduced himself.
    He said that they all watch out for each other and that he had no idea who I was or why I was sitting there for so long.
    "I have little girls and it makes me nervous seeing strangers hanging around", he said.

Can't blame him at all.
    Companies I worked for had plain unmarked vans , usually used for transporting things around campus , or between locations. Employees have also borrowed them for moving.
    Independent tradesmen use unmarked vans because marked vans are more likely to be targeted by thieves , or union goons. One of my oldest and best friends is a self-employed painter and has used plain white vans for 25yrs. He has 2 in case 1 breaks down or needs work on it.

Some areas do require commercially used vehicles to be marked with business license numbers.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Carbon County)

so you say it's common for delivery people to put packages in unlocked cars?

then a delivery person puts a package in your unlocked car and you want to shoot him?

do you happen to think another delivery guy gave him directions on what to do?
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 ...........

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by danhr View Post
    Sooooo you brandished a pistol on a seasonal delivery guy that was doing what is considered a common practice in your area?

I probably wouldn't order anything fragile until after the holiday season.......
    Never brandished.. "To Brandish = wave or flourish (something, especially a weapon) as a threat or in anger or excitement.
    just had with me, in my hand, at my side...I was not going outside, knowing someone is out there that I had not seen, without a weapon incase it went South

Quote Originally Posted by middlefinger View Post
    so you say it's common for delivery people to put packages in unlocked cars?
    then a delivery person puts a package in your unlocked car and you want to shoot him?
    do you happen to think another delivery guy gave him directions on what to do?
    If the van had been marked or I saw him walking to the car or setting the package in the car it would have been back to snacking.
    I was pretty sure it was just a delivery but that late at night, unmarked and unfamiliar van, don't see a person but my car has been opened.... I want to see what the hell is going on.

Never said I wanted to shoot anybody.. I just was not going outside, knowing someone is out there, without a weapon.

This isn't anytown USA, there isn't even a town. If something happened I could yell all I wanted and only Coyotes would howl back.

One morning while plowing I stepped off the ATV slipped and landed head first. I think I might have been knocked out, but as a minimum when I pulled myself back up on the running ATV - I thought about how if I had really hurt myself I would have layed there until either the stepsons got off the school bus or my wife came home from work. Either way I drove back to the house and stayed inside near the phone for awhile.
    Lesson learned, if either of us are home alone and have to plow or shovel we call the other one then check in on regular basis. If no check in then the other can call a "neighbor" run home and check..
    Last edited by Parrisk; December 12th, 2017 at 02:01 PM.
    Retired US Army
    NRA Life Member, GOA, USCCA
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity"

(Wyoming County)

Aren't commercial vehicles required at least to be marked with PUC#'s etc?
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

(Allegheny County)

HAHAHA! Look, now you "wanted to shoot him"!

LOL! There's no way I'd post anything I do like this online for everyone to turn into something it wasn't.

Quote Originally Posted by ExFlyinguy View Post
    Aren't commercial vehicles required at least to be marked with PUC#'s etc?
    A PUC Number is the number provided by the Public Utility Commission of Pennsylvania for commercial carriers of property, excluding household goods, when providing transportation between points in PA.

Philly has their own business license for those doing trades/services business in the city. Not sure if it's required to be on vehicles.
    Last edited by abner13; December 12th, 2017 at 02:06 PM.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast