Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Anyone shoot on their property on the Doylestown/Quakertown area? Might be moving.

One of my life's goals is to be able to shoot on my own land. I want to be able to relax and plink a little without anyone else bothering me. I also do a little amateur gunsmithing so I would be really cool to be able to test some stuff out without having to go to the range. I
    I current work in Newtown and Plumsteadville(depends on the day). So moving far away would be out of the question right now. I was curious if this would be looking for some land around Doyestown/Quakertown or if this is a hopeless pursuit.

Thanks!

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Anyone shoot on their property on the Doylestown/Quakertown area? Might be moving

I was thinking of the same thing. I figured if I moved to Chester City, I could just shoot in my backyard and no one would notice.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Anyone shoot on their property on the Doylestown/Quakertown area? Might be moving

Lol

(Bucks County)

Lots of people shoot on their property in Upper Bucks. As long as you have the acreage, a proper backstop, and don't live in a nanny state town you'll be good to go.

The urban sprawl is coming, and land prices and taxes are on the rise. You may get a few good years out of a rural location.

(Berks County)

If you do make that move be sure to look at the big picture...when I was a growing up outside Phoenixville we used to go out back and plink at the garbage pile and shoot skeet out in the back field...can't do that there anymore.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    If you do make that move be sure to look at the big picture...when I was a growing up outside Phoenixville we used to go out back and plink at the garbage pile and shoot skeet out in the back field...can't do that there anymore.
    I remember a spot I used to watch guys shoot skeet back in the day (I was in 3rd grade), that became a factory some years later. According to Google maps it is now the Phoenixville Industrial park. That used to be the end of town.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by RockIsland View Post
    Lots of people shoot on their property in Upper Bucks. As long as you have the acreage, a proper backstop, and don't live in a nanny state town you'll be good to go.

The urban sprawl is coming, and land prices and taxes are on the rise. You may get a few good years out of a rural location.
    Yeah, I remember my old man would talk about how he used to hunt all around Jamison and Neshaminy area.

How much acreage would you guys recommend? I know it's more about area and terrain but as a good rule of thumb what should I look for for a minimum? 5 acres? 10?
    Last edited by virus22x; December 12th, 2017 at 05:14 PM.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by virus22x View Post
    How much acreage would you guys recommend? I know it's more about area and terrain but as a good rule of thumb what should I look for for a minimum? 5 acres? 10?
    It would depend on your county laws. I believe in Berks county / Amity township its any property over a 1/2 acre is legal to shoot on. Beside the legality size, I dont think its as much an issue of acreage as it is backdrop.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by PhillySoldier View Post
    It would depend on your county laws. I believe in Berks county / Amity township its any property over a 1/2 acre is legal to shoot on. Beside the legality size, I dont think its as much an issue of acreage as it is backdrop.
    What the laws are is good question. I live in a rural area with 2.5 acres with estates of similar size around me. I called (I forget which) either the state police and/or my township office and was told that the shooting laws were dictated by hunting regulations, which I am not so sure I believe. My hunting regulations confine me to shooting shotguns.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Berks County)

What the laws are is good question. I live in a rural area with 2.5 acres with estates of similar size around me. I called (I forget which) either the state police and/or my township office and was told that the shooting laws were dictated by hunting regulations, which I am not so sure I believe. My hunting regulations confine me to shooting shotguns.
    What is legal and what is going on currently is usually pretty entertaining. I know with being connected to a lot of different local social media groups - as your aware many in the area are transplants (such as myself) from larger cities and not used to people being allowed to shoot legally. Every time so much as a firecracker goes off there are posts all over online - did you hear that, where is it, I called the police XX amount of times already. The police say its legal but Im gonna keep calling anyway - you all should too. etc. As to your specific question, I cant answer it. I just know Ive seen many complain about the police telling them there allowed. Its funny I always hear someone targeting shooting in nearby birdsboro but it seems criminalized in douglassville.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast