Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    (Jefferson County)

Default Re: Getting an LTC from another state

Quote Originally Posted by free View Post
    No, because you were caught and convicted for smoking a joint 5 years ago. Big difference.

If you had smoked the joint at home, alone, with no police around, and cleaned up after you were done - you probably would have been OK. But you chose to smoke it someplace where you were a lot more likely to get caught, or put yourself in a situation to do so - such as leaving the place where you smoked it, got into a car, and then did something to attract unwanted attention - or were with those who did.

You can leave your family without a father because you get killed, or because you end up in prison. Pretty much the same result either way.

Your better move would be to just move out of PA to a place with more lax gun laws. Take that hit - rather than one from another joint (this time, one with bars).
    Or get the law changed in PA so that it is no longer prohibiting. ...then petition the courts for relief since the crime is no longer a prohibiting offense.

Or get a pardon, then file an expungement.

Or wait about 10 years from the completion of terms, file for relief on the basis that your misdemeanor conviction of a non-violent crime is behind you(a case recently found for non-violent misdemeanor convictions to have rights restored after proving they can be good folks in society).
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Or get the law changed in PA so that it is no longer prohibiting. ...then petition the courts for relief since the crime is no longer a prohibiting offense. Or get a pardon, then file an expungement. Or wait about 10 years from the completion of terms, file for relief on the basis that your misdemeanor conviction of a non-violent crime is behind you (a case recently found for non-violent misdemeanor convictions to have rights restored after proving they can be good folks in society).
    Of those options, plus move to a suitable location out of state, which do you think OP has the most control over and which do you think is most likely to provide the desired end result in the least amount of time for the OP?

(Delaware County)

So you have a bunch of people telling you the same thing. You have many completely legal options to protect your family. You can pick the one that best fits your situation. Or you can do something illegal or in some gray area and pay the consequences again.

Whatever you decide good luck.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

(Bucks County)

I doubt the family would OK moving to another state far away from family and friends just because Pennsylvania has Draconian drug laws

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer57 View Post
    So my only option here is the carry illegally?
    No. You also have the (legal) option to not carry.
    DGAF

(Delaware County)

I doubt the family would OK moving to another state far away from family and friends just because Pennsylvania has Draconian drug laws
    Well then that removes one of the options. Are you married and if so can she get a ltcf?

(York County)

Move to New Jersey (Or NY, or MD) and then tell me how PA has 'draconian' laws about firearms...

I am going to (for the last time) assume you're not a troll and say this. You got busted smoking a joint. Not "you smoked a joint" but you got -busted- and convicted of smoking a joint. That is a -federally- disqualifying event, PA law aside.

I don't smoke pot (any more, for more years than the statute of limitations), but I used to, so I have some knowledge of it. Thankfully (and it was in a different state) I managed to do so in a manner that avoided getting busted and convicted. I don't have a problem with those who do and I support legalization. I am indeed sorry that you have that disqualifying event on your record. I don't think it -should- be a disqualifying event. But you do, and it is.

IMHO Your choices are carry illegally, don't carry, or take one of the other suggestions made here by others to skirt the law.

I cannot advocate the first option since that possibly leads to you back here sometime in the future bleating about "I was carrying illegally because of stupid drug laws and now I'm facing prison."... That helps nobody.

I can't advocate the last option, since skirting the law leaves too many ways for that to backfire in your face.

That leaves "don't carry" which is my not-a-lawyer not-advice opinion of what I'd do in your situation.

While many of us here my -disagree- with some gun laws, they remain the law of the land for now. I doubt anyone here would tell you it's okay to flout them.

Also, talk to a lawyer vs. trusting what various unknown folks tell you on an internet forum.
    DGAF

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by KCJones View Post
    Move to New Jersey (Or NY, or MD) and then tell me how PA has 'draconian' laws about firearms...

I am going to (for the last time) assume you're not a troll and say this. You got busted smoking a joint. Not "you smoked a joint" but you got -busted- and convicted of smoking a joint. That is a -federally- disqualifying event, PA law aside.

I don't smoke pot (any more, for more years than the statute of limitations), but I used to, so I have some knowledge of it. Thankfully (and it was in a different state) I managed to do so in a manner that avoided getting busted and convicted. I don't have a problem with those who do and I support legalization. I am indeed sorry that you have that disqualifying event on your record. I don't think it -should- be a disqualifying event. But you do, and it is.

IMHO Your choices are carry illegally, don't carry, or take one of the other suggestions made here by others to skirt the law.

I cannot advocate the first option since that possibly leads to you back here sometime in the future bleating about "I was carrying illegally because of stupid drug laws and now I'm facing prison."... That helps nobody.

I can't advocate the last option, since skirting the law leaves too many ways for that to backfire in your face.

That leaves "don't carry" which is my not-a-lawyer not-advice opinion of what I'd do in your situation.

While many of us here my -disagree- with some gun laws, they remain the law of the land for now. I doubt anyone here would tell you it's okay to flout them.

Also, talk to a lawyer vs. trusting what various unknown folks tell you on an internet forum.
    Who suggested he skirt the law besides the op?

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by mpan72 View Post
    Who suggested he skirt the law besides the op?
    Well... actually... you.

You said (gist) 'have your wife get an LTCF and hand you the gun if needed'. That seems like "skirting" the law to me.

That's my non-legal, not-a-lawyer opinion only.

But to answer your question, it's exactly what I had in mind when talking about 'skirting'.
    DGAF

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by KCJones View Post
    Well... actually... you.

You said (gist) 'have your wife get an LTCF and hand you the gun if needed'. That seems like "skirting" the law to me.

That's my non-legal, not-a-lawyer opinion only.

But to answer your question, it's exactly what I had in mind when talking about 'skirting'.
    It has happened and there was no charges. I will look for a link but it was pretty much the exact situation the op is in. I tried to make it clear her carrying in a vehicle and then giving it to him when they arrive at their destination is a no go.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast