Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Re: Getting an LTC from another state

I see you live in the New Hope/Bucks County area. Is the crime rate really that high there that you feel the need to have to protect yourself from being jumped every time you leave your home? I went to school near that area and not once did I ever feel endangered. If anything I would consider it to be an "upper-class" geographical area. But I have to agree with all that's been said. You'd be foolish to try and skirt around the law, or carry illegally... no matter how minuscule or irrelevant you may feel your past conviction to be.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    If your wife currently has a PA LTCF, she can conceal carry in PA and get as many non resident concealed carry permits in as many states that allow a non resident to get that states' permit. If she does not have a current PA LTCF, she can get as many non resident concealed carry permits as she wants as long as the state's she is applying to allows it - HOWEVER - if she does not have a current PA LTCF, she CANNOT conceal carry in PA, even if she has 20 concealed carry permits from other states. To conceal carry in PA one must have PA LTCF, be it as a resident or non resident (and IIRC the non resident LTCF looks just like the resident LTCF other than the carriers address).
    Curious, if you are a PA resident and have a NH permit, could you OPEN carry and transport in PA?
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by mikelets456 View Post
    Curious, if you are a PA resident and have a NH permit, could you OPEN carry and transport in PA?
    Under 2013 SUPERIOR Court decision in Commonwealth v. McKown, 2013 Pa. Super 282, a PA resident can only be licensed under an LTCF while in PA; out-of-state licenses are impotent wrt transport/carry for PA residents. OC afoot does not require licensure except in Philly or during a SoE .
    Last edited by tl_3237; December 14th, 2017 at 11:18 AM.
    IANAL

(Bucks County)

How can I fight to restore my right in court?

My lawyer said a conviction cannot be expunged.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer57 View Post

Several options. You can fight to have the law changed and then apply for relief. You can fight to have constitutional carry approved. You can fight for national reciprocity. You can petition the governor for a pardon.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

(Chester County)

I just found this site: https://tinyurl.com/ojqvbsm. (I used TinyURL to shorten the address). This is to answer does the state have a duty to inform.
    The website is: http://concealednationi.org

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by ideaman View Post
    On the gun law by state: http://www.gunlawsbystate.com/recipr...ap/#!/1/1/Utah.
    It shows 51 states with a Utah permit. Maryland is one of them. Does Maryland recognize the UTAH permit? Delaware does.
    Only Vermont and New York doesn't

Never heard of that site and as already mentioned it is very wrong and not to be trusted.

The most up to date and reliable non government site for reciprocity and law is
    handgunlaw.us

As always the best place to find out info is to check the official website of the state you are concerned about.

(Jefferson County)

Most convictions cannot be expunged.

However, they can be expunged after getting a pardon.

Your only options are:

1. Governor's pardon, then get the expungement (usually need to wait 10 years before applying for a pardon, have all taxes paid, be gainfully employed, no civil pending civil cases against you, no more interaction with the law)
    2. Wait until you are 70 years old and the 10 prior years to that age without any further convictions, then file for relief
    3. Petition the courts for relief/restoration of rights under the Binderup v. Attorney General US 3rd Circuit ruling
    4. Change the law so that act is no longer prohibiting, then file for relief
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Most convictions cannot be expunged.

However, they can be expunged after getting a pardon.

Your only options are:

1. Governor's pardon, then get the expungement (usually need to wait 10 years before applying for a pardon, have all taxes paid, be gainfully employed, no civil pending civil cases against you, no more interaction with the law)
    2. Wait until you are 70 years old and the 10 prior years to that age without any further convictions, then file for relief
    3. Petition the courts for relief/restoration of rights under the Binderup v. Attorney General US 3rd Circuit ruling
    4. Change the law so that act is no longer prohibiting, then file for relief
    In other words, the only options are:

A) Unrealistic pie-in-the-sky wishful thinking actions that will come to naught in any realistic time-period.
    B) You got busted for a federally-disqualifying crime. You're prohibited, don't carry.

I wish it were otherwise, and by all means do work to change the laws that disqualify you. But for now, that's the simple truth.

I could also say "sucks for you, and let your situation be an example to other young-and-dumb folks why they need to pay attention to this stuff, and maybe not so cavalier about strolling down the street puffing a spliff at 20-something"... But that would perhaps be unkind.
    DGAF

Except he is 60 and said he was busted five years ago. So maybe an example to the 50-somethings?

60 years old work my whole life and I have to leave my house defenseless because I smoked a joint. What a Sad State of Affairs.

I'm going to apply for license to carry and hope that they approve it but if not I see no other option but to carry concealed. I'm not leaving my family without a father because some Thug wants a quick come up. I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

OP, I am sorry you are now prohibited, but it is what it is. You weren't young and stupid, and I find it highly unlikely that you chose to smoke your first J at 55. And even if you did, I agree with others, I think it should be legalized and taxed, but it isn't. So when you chose to break the law, you chose to accept the consequences. To compound that mistake by illegally carrying would be silly. Good luck.
    Last edited by TotinMama; December 14th, 2017 at 06:45 PM.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast