Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Re: Getting an LTC from another state

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer57 View Post
    60 years old work my whole life and I have to leave my house defenseless because I smoked a joint. What a Sad State of Affairs.

I'm going to apply for license to carry and hope that they approve it but if not I see no other option but to carry concealed. I'm not leaving my family without a father because some Thug wants a quick come up. I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
    Well your judgement seems a bit suspect. I do not think that should be a disqualifier but then again the only disqualifier I believe is fair is that no one serving a sentence should own a gun.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

(Bucks County)

I don't see what other option I have but to be unarmed.

(Montgomery County)

Do you live in a high crime area? I'd weigh the chances and consequences of getting jacked up by police vs being caught in an encounter where a firearm is needed to save your life.

Not advocating breaking the law but this is a a decision you will make on your own.

Like I mentioned before, why not start the expungement process? Maybe a lawyer can comment on how long that process usually takes.

(Delaware County)

Completely understandable but to post it on the net is foolish. You mention protecting your family, are you married? If so can she get a ltcf? Are you sure your conviction does not bar your from owning? If she carries concealed you can still oc when on foot. She can carry most of the time and hand you the gun if the situation presents itself where a bad guy needs to be shot, or she can do it herself but at least a gun will be available to you and her.

I would not have her carry in a vehicle and hand it to you for oc when you arrive at your destination.

(Susquehanna County)

I have a misdemeanor marijuana possession conviction from 2013; this is the only thing on my record. However, AFAIK, that is enough to disqualify me. I am debating applying however and seeing what happens, as from my understanding, it is just a $19 fee and the worse the sheriff can say is 'no'. I don't mind open carrying, but the problem is driving; AFAIK, I cannot open carry a handgun in my car. So basically, I have to walk everywhere or leave it at home.

Does anyone know a state with reciprocity with PA where I would qualify now that florida has been nix'd?
    As others have stated a PA resident cannot use a Non-resident permit/license from another state to meet CCW laws in PA !!
    As a person without a PA LTCF you cannot transport a loaded firearm in/on any means of conveyance, even kind of Open Carry !
    You cannot transport a firearm in/on conveyance except to hunting/range/gun shop... ie..walk around open carry, unload and place in vehicle to drive to next open carry.. Illegal

I would contact a lawyer who knows PA firearms laws.. "Gunlawer" comes to mind

Misdemeanor for one joint? wow
    Retired US Army
    NRA Life Member, GOA, USCCA
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity"

(York County)

60 years old work my whole life and I have to leave my house defenseless because I smoked a joint. What a Sad State of Affairs.
    Lesson for the day:
    Say no to drugs!

(Bucks County)

My conviction does not bar me from owning I have many firearms that I am in legal possession of my conviction bars me from taking any of them in a vehicle which is the massive problem.

I've talked to several lawyers and all of them have said convictions cannot be expunged however after 10 years I can contact the governor and beg for a pardon however he said this is very very unlikely.

What if I were to get a rental property say $800 a month out-of-state and list that as my residence getting a license to carry in that state.

(Bucks County)

Say say no to certain drugs. I have many friends that do alcohol every single night and have a license to carry because that is an approved drug despite it being one of the most dangerous drugs known to man.

(Delaware County)

You really should stop posting things that are illegal. You are not anonymous on this or any other forum. Fight the fight or move to another state that would grant you a permit to carry. Not to be an asshole but your posts are starting to seem trollish. Alcohol is currently legal and pot was not at the time of your conviction. (I know it is still illegal).

(Allegheny County)

There is no way I can legally carry concealed in Pennsylvania as there is no way I can get a license to carry because I smoked a joint 5 years ago is that correct?
    No, because you were caught and convicted for smoking a joint 5 years ago. Big difference.

If you had smoked the joint at home, alone, with no police around, and cleaned up after you were done - you probably would have been OK. But you chose to smoke it someplace where you were a lot more likely to get caught, or put yourself in a situation to do so - such as leaving the place where you smoked it, got into a car, and then did something to attract unwanted attention - or were with those who did.

I'm going to apply for license to carry and hope that they approve it but if not I see no other option but to carry concealed. I'm not leaving my family without a father because some Thug wants a quick come up. I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
    What if I were to get a rental property say $800 a month out-of-state and list that as my residence getting a license to carry in that state.
    You can leave your family without a father because you get killed, or because you end up in prison. Pretty much the same result either way.

Your better move would be to just move out of PA to a place with more lax gun laws. Take that hit - rather than one from another joint (this time, one with bars).
    Last edited by free; December 11th, 2017 at 03:26 PM.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast