Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: NJ Compliant AR

(Westmoreland County)

Default NJ Compliant AR

My brother lives in NJ and want to get an AR. My understanding is that in NJ an AR can only have two of the following features:
    - Pistol Grip
    - Detachable magazine
    - Collapsible stock
    - Bayonet lug
    - flash hider

I was thinking about picking up a Colt 6920 for him, modifying it to get it NJ compliant, and going to a gun dealer in NJ to transfer it to him. Obviously, the most important features to have are the pistol grip & detachable magazine. Going w/ an A2 stock or pinning a collpasible stock is not a big deal. Ginding off the flash hider also not a big deal. I cannot beleive that removing the flash hider and silver soldering a thread protector would be difficult.

Comments on doing the above, or would he be better off just buying a NJ compliant AR. I see that S&W offers some, but I am not a big S&W fan for AR rifles.

Default Re: NJ Compliant AR

I wouldn't get involved. Have him buy one from a NJ dealer, and it will be compliant.

If he wants a completely NJ compliant AR a d doesn't want to assemble it himself the. Order one from Stag and add the ban state compliant options. They have been running some excellent biweekly sales and are one of the most underrated AR rifle makers on the market.

When I lived in NJ I built a few rifles getting the correct muzzle device having it drilled pinned and welded was a PITA, as well as removing the bayonet lug and then refinishing the barrel.

It's easier and cheaper to go the factory rifle route. The S&W M&P II is also another excellent option that comes NJ compliant right from the factory.

I don't own a M&P Sport II but there are a lot of good reviews and this is quite compelling as to its build quality for a $500.00 rifle.

Last edited by Hodgie; December 9th, 2017 at 01:23 PM.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    I wouldn't get involved. Have him buy one from a NJ dealer, and it will be compliant.
    This.........You can do the research and tell him what to get. But let him get it.

And just buy a NJ compliant one to start. They are usually the same price and it won't have grind marks and a silly capped muzzle to deal with.

Why would you grind off the flash hider? Just unscrew it and replace it with a permanently affixed (pinned & welded) compensator/muzzle brake. Dremel the "ears" off the bayonet lug.

Instead of pinning the stock, here's a neat little device that limits the stock to one position...

https://www.wingtactical.com/firearm...ock-converter/

Don't forget that the mag limit is 15 rounds.

Now you're GTG.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    NRA Benefactor Member

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pizza Bob View Post
    Why would you grind off the flash hider? Just unscrew it and replace it with a permanently affixed (pinned & welded) compensator/muzzle brake. Dremel the "ears" off the bayonet lug.
    I was referring to the bayonet lug when I said grind.

(Bucks County)

You sign that you are buying the gun for yourself. Buying it with intent to transfer it to someone else is illegal. Period. I know....it's chickenshit, but that's the position of the ATF. Here's a test. Tell the dealer you are purchasing from your plan. Watch him terminate the sale immediately.

It is quite possible to buy a gun as a gift...

http://www.guns.com/2013/12/12/gifting-guns-need-know/

And in the OP's case he should be fine as the gun will have to go through two FFL's - the one where he purchases the gun - and he has to answer that he is the actual purchaser, and the second when he transfers the gun to the gift recipient - which he will have to as it crossing state lines and he is not an FFL. Going through a NJ FFL also assure that the gun is compliant. Yes it is a little tricky, but if he follows the instructions in the linked article and dots his i's and crosses his t's, he should be fine.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    IANAL
    NRA Benefactor Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pizza Bob View Post
    It is quite possible to buy a gun as a gift...

http://www.guns.com/2013/12/12/gifting-guns-need-know/

And in the OP's case he should be fine as the gun will have to go through two FFL's - the one where he purchases the gun - and he has to answer that he is the actual purchaser, and the second when he transfers the gun to the gift recipient - which he will have to as it crossing state lines and he is not an FFL. Going through a NJ FFL also assure that the gun is compliant. Yes it is a little tricky, but if he follows the instructions in the linked article and dots his i's and crosses his t's, he should be fine.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    IANAL

You are correct sir, what you cannot do is act as the agent or middle man when purchasing a firearm which would then be considered a straw purchase. To avoid any and all bad outcomes sometimes it is best to give a gift certificate to your family members favorite store for the said item.

Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

I am pretty sure nj dealers can order rifles that are nj compliant. A friend of mine recently purchased one with a pinned stock. He will be stuck with 10 round mags. :-(

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast