Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Lackawanna County)

Default Re: Green Shed Antlers

How exactly would that help? Would it stain them brown or leech the green off? Or are you joking?

(Bucks County)

I have buried a few skull tops w/antlers. Microbial action and insect life does a perfect job of stripping it clean. Didn't notice any earthen stains, but that may depend on the soil. Besides, slightly darker crevices enhances the structural appearance.... for me, anyway. Try it sometime. I thought I'd suggest it since the green seems to be an unknown but natural patina.

(Lackawanna County)

Pretty sure it's just from the foliage I found the shed in but I'll give it a shot. There's quite a bit of ash in my soil since there was a dump next door during last 19th early 20th century whereas the backyard is sand from the previous owner's pool

I wouldn't mind some natural darkening but sun bleached is ok also so long as i get rid of that green tinge

(Bucks County)

Soak it in a solution of oxyclean, its basic sodium peroxide. It might take hours and I would check it every half hour till it gets the color you like. If you soak it too long it will be bleached bone white.

Off topic but if you use oxyclean for your laundry you are wasting your money if you put a scoop in each load. Read the directions. You are supposed to take a scoop and dissolve it in a gallon or two of hot water. Then put in your whites and let it sit at least six hours. Then it works great. One scoop in 20 gallons of water for the 15 min wash cycle does nothing.

I do mine in a cooler. Keeps it warm and your cooler will look the cleanest it has been in years. Just make sure you use the unscented, It does not leave any smell or a soapy residue.

(Lackawanna County)

I think I'll try the oxyclean since it won't take months. No offense but I have 2 dogs and don't need them trying to dig it up because they smell a would be snack. when i get more sheds i'll try burying a few in different areas of the yard and see how the different soil areas affect the antlers and maybe i can train the "good dog" to find them
    Last edited by mikeybonez28; December 11th, 2017 at 01:25 AM.

(Dauphin County)

I would take a few paper towels and get them wet with Hydrogen Peroxide and then wrap the h2o2 soaked paper towels around the antlers and let them sit for a few days, every so often run some more h2o2 over the paper towels to keep them wet and in a few days I would bet your stains are gone. Total cost about 12 cents.

(Lackawanna County)

When i brushed on the h2o2 it seemed to be working a little, I already have peroxide, i just need a large box to put them in while they steep and the dogs can't get at them. If that doesn't cut it I'll try the oxyclean

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12