Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default Re: throw out of state ccw holders in jail

Quote Originally Posted by PhillySoldier View Post
    I know a gal in my area that was arrested within the last year in NJ for having her gun in the trunk of her car. She's looking at a real long prison term. The plea deal offer they gave her was for 5 yrs in jail which she turned down. What gets me about the entire thing was the cop made up a BS reason to search the car in the first place. At the time she was pulled over on the side of the road in order to txt on her cell phone; so not even driving. The cop questioned why she was pulled over and then after that wanted permission to search her car which she declined. Saying he saw a hollow point bullet (illegal in NJ) laying on the back floor of her car. They detained her for something like 12 hours to get a search warrant. Im no lawyer but would think if he visibly saw an illegal bullet on the floor they would have immediately arrested her as well as not needed a warrant to search the car at that point.
    Was she legally allowed to own the gun and was she following U.S. law concerning travel THROUGH a state in which she was not allowed to own/carry a gun ?
    --ET

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ett View Post
    Was she legally allowed to own the gun and was she following U.S. law concerning travel THROUGH a state in which she was not allowed to own/carry a gun ?
    Legally allowed to own the gun, yes. She was on her way to visit her grandmother in NJ, so no I dont think that meets the laws for transport. Additionally the hollow points that are legal in PA are not in NJ.

Yes, she was in the wrong but im amazed how fast her life was just ruined over something that may not have even been intentional. Back when I used to live in Philly, I know numerous times I drove across the bridge without giving it a thought and when I did realize it would stop and throw it in my trunk and look to exit NJ as fast as possible.

Overall though my thoughts are that the police are targeting out of state drivers for search when there system shows they have a permit/ltcf. It was a targeted search as well as a BS excuse to get a warrant. With that said, she still was in the wrong and will have to pay the consequences.

Legally allowed to own the gun, yes. She was on her way to visit her grandmother in NJ, so no I dont think that meets the laws for transport. Additionally the hollow points that are legal in PA are not in NJ.

Yes, she was in the wrong but im amazed how fast her life was just ruined over something that may not have even been intentional. Back when I used to live in Philly, I know numerous times I drove across the bridge without giving it a thought and when I did realize it would stop and throw it in my trunk and look to exit NJ as fast as possible.

Overall though my thoughts are that the police are targeting out of state drivers for search when there system shows they have a permit/ltcf. It was a targeted search as well as a BS excuse to get a warrant. With that said, she still was in the wrong and will have to pay the consequences.
    She may have to pay consequences, but NJ is in the wrong.

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the RIGHT of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
    Go sell crazy some where else, we're all stocked up here.

Political power grows from the muzzle of a gun.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by pacodelahoya View Post
    She may have to pay consequences, but NJ is in the wrong.

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the RIGHT of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
    ...and therein lies the rub.

Fuck that communist shithole!

(Delaware County)

If this NR bill gets passed in the Senate, the arguement against her might be whittled away to nothing. I don't get that infringing mentality that anti gunners have. Freud said this about it...

Hoplophobia (n.): The irrational fear of weapons, correctly described by
    Freud as "a sign of emotional and sexual immaturity". Hoplophobia, like
    homophobia, is a displacement symptom; hoplophobes fear their own
    "forbidden" feelings and urges to commit violence. This would be
    harmless, except that they project these feelings onto others. The
    sequelae of this neurosis include irrational and dangerous behaviors
    such as passing "gun-control" laws and trashing the Constitution.
    -- Eric S. Raymond

North Carolina, formerly from PA, North Carolina

I know others have written essentially this same thing about other states. Can anyone verify that police in other states can determine in real time if a PA resident has a LTCF? Can all police see license/permit holders from all states? I wouldn't think so, but I don't know the Orwellian workings of law enforcement.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ett View Post
    That behavior is not limited to NJ police.
    Although it may be more prevalent in NJ than PA.
    Word to your mutha!

I always seem to miss the last posts at the bottom of a page.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by farmplinker View Post
    I know others have written essentially this same thing about other states. Can anyone verify that police in other states can determine in real time if a PA resident has a LTCF? Can all police see license/permit holders from all states? I wouldn't think so, but I don't know the Orwellian workings of law enforcement.
    I know there were some news article's in the past of maryland targeting out of state drivers w permits to carry

I can verify i got pulled over in delco within the last year and i volunteered the info and the cop was cool and we talked guns for a bit. While talking though he did say he wouldve known anyway and the incident wouldve gone differently had i not told him

I know there were some news article's in the past of maryland targeting out of state drivers w permits to carry

I can verify i got pulled over in delco within the last year and i volunteered the info and the cop was cool and we talked guns for a bit. While talking though he did say he wouldve known anyway and the incident wouldve gone differently had i not told him

Do you remember where in Delco this was? I don't understand as to what he meant by "the incident would have gone differently" and why would it have been an issue since PA has no duty to inform.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Seph View Post
    Do you remember where in Delco this was? I don't understand as to what he meant by "the incident would have gone differently" and why would it have been an issue since PA has no duty to inform.
    We'll probably never know... Did he mean he'd have known you had a firearm (e.g. he could see it) or that he'd have known you had LTCF? Who can say? Certainly think "the incident would have gone differently" without informing is not appropriate / a good thing to hear.

Truth is I don't always have a firearm in my car... e.g. I hop in the car to run over to the turkey hill for milk, I may not always grab it. So does LTCF now mean presumption you are armed?

If they can see you have LTCF are they allowed to ask "Sir, do you have a firearm in the vehicle?" or similar? I guess they can ask about anything, though. So it's really down to how to handle it if asked.
    DGAF

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast