Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Berks County)

Default Re: Rifle Case, Hard or Soft?

How much room do you have in your house? Hard takes up a lot. Hard protects better. Soft is easier to store if you have a few. Soft protects enough and is cheaper. Sleeves don't do much, dirt cheap, take up no room.

Check out ace cases on the web.

I don't like to keep anything in a case, let it breath. Soft cases take up less room to store and are ready to go when you are. I don't travel where a hard case would be required. Soft cases are also easier to carry for me. I once had a double hard case and it was just too big and heavy.

(Berks County)

I have plenty of room and I'm not looking to store it in a case, when I go to the range it's cumbersome to haul the gun, mags and ammo in addition to my safety glasses, targets and hearing protection. That and I don't have anything that it fits in, the shotgun sleeves don't have room for the pistol grip on it but for now I stuff it in there the best I can to protect it.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    That's along the lines of what I was thinking, do they make the cuts or do you? I haven't checked their site yet. Yes it's a genuine H&K.
    They make the cuts. when you order it online, they take you to the design page and they have basically a CAD to help you design how you want it to be cut out. Once submitted and paid for (no fee for the designing) you wait for it to be delivered. If you want other cuts after you get it they are easy to do.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    How much room do you have in your house? Hard takes up a lot. Hard protects better. Soft is easier to store if you have a few. Soft protects enough and is cheaper. Sleeves don't do much, dirt cheap, take up no room.

Check out ace cases on the web.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Sights View Post
    I don't like to keep anything in a case, let it breath. Soft cases take up less room to store and are ready to go when you are. I don't travel where a hard case would be required. Soft cases are also easier to carry for me. I once had a double hard case and it was just too big and heavy.
    What they said.

I got a very nice Pelican Case to transport an AR, Garland, M-1, etc. to the ranges. I didn’t realize how big, bulky and heavy it would be. Then I got a few perfect sized, QUALITY ($$) soft cases and that’s all I use now.

(Allegheny County)

Plano cases on clearance at Midway.

That said, I prefer soft/nylon cases for transport. They take up less room when being stored and provide enough protection to the firearm to be able to stack/stash them in the trunk/truck bed. Less expensive too.

I have an inexpensive double rifle hard case and it's ideal for protecting the rifles, but it's bulky and can create it's own issues where the CASE could damage other things like scuffing interior panels in a vehicle.

It's all going to depend on the intended use.
    Last edited by Emptymag; December 8th, 2017 at 06:31 PM.

(Bucks County)

Make sure you get a tape measure and make sure a hard case will fit in your car BEFORE you buy one. They get big and bulky fast.

A friend bought one and it wouldn't fit in his trunk.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    Make sure you get a tape measure and make sure a hard case will fit in your car BEFORE you buy one. They get big and bulky fast.

A friend bought one and it wouldn't fit in his trunk.

True. Mine will just barely fit side to side in the cargo area of our Santa Fe - and only in one spot that isn't ideal because it wastes space there.

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    I need to pick up a case for my H&K 91 with retractable stock. I was thinking of a hard case made for the model if available but I have seen some nice looking soft shells. I know that everyone is going to have their own opinion and all will vary but I would like to hear them so I can sift through them and maybe come up with one of my own. I'll probably hunt for one at the Oaks show if I can come to a decision on what to get.

Thanks in advance for your help and not crapping all over my thread.

These are what I use. Have a small one for my scorpion SBR. A bigger one for my Sig MCX with folding stock. Extremely high quality.

https://www.elitesurvival.com/rifle-...t-carry-cases/
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12