Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Re: Shoulder holster recommendations for wife

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferG View Post
    Not to mention the muzzle is also directly pointing at anyone standing or sitting right next to you. That is one of the other reasons for not liking the horizontal shoulder holster. The muzzle is always pointing in the direction of whomever is standing behind you. Those belly band ones with the pouch designed for a woman's figure seem to be pretty good solution but it will involve buying, shipping, trying on and maybe shipping back if it doesn't work out. I also believe the Alaskan style may work for women that don't have large (D to DD) or extra large (larger than DD) breasts. I'd say that somewhere around B to C are average size.
    Belly bands muzzle the thighs. Appendix muzzles the thighs and crotch. Crossdraw muzzles the legs of those behind you.

If the trigger is covered, the trigger is covered. My horizontal shoulder rig has the thumb break between hammer and firing pin, so I'm not terribly worried.

If you prefer avoiding them, by all means do so.

My 2¢

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    Something similar to this is the Pistol Wear holster which I use for running

www.pistolwear.com
    This style is looking better and better to me. Like I said though, I can still carry at 3 o'clock outside the waistband in a Galco or Kydex slightly canted forward holster and still conceal. I wear longer tops to minimize my height. I certainly can appreciate trying to find a comfortable holster when it's not practical to wear on the side. Wearing one piece dresses is a big problem for carrying. There are very few good options in that case. Purse carry, coat pocket carry etc... are all fraught with off the body carry drawbacks. What it comes down to is that if you are a woman and you want to carry you have to adjust your wardrobe to the carry options that are available or rely on your man (and nowadays maybe your bull) to be able to protect you when you go somewhere dressed to the nines. Thigh holsters? Oh my.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.K View Post
    Belly bands muzzle the thighs. Appendix muzzles the thighs and crotch. Crossdraw muzzles the legs of those behind you.

If the trigger is covered, the trigger is covered. My horizontal shoulder rig has the thumb break between hammer and firing pin, so I'm not terribly worried.

If you prefer avoiding them, by all means do so.

My 2¢
    I have the regular Miami Classic, and it's the same in that regard. My 1911 is cocked and locked, with the thumb break strap between the hammer and the firing pin. I'm not worried about it, but I have friends who can't stand it, so I understand the worry.

(Berks County)

This style is looking better and better to me. Like I said though, I can still carry at 3 o'clock outside the waistband in a Galco or Kydex slightly canted forward holster and still conceal. I wear longer tops to minimize my height. I certainly can appreciate trying to find a comfortable holster when it's not practical to wear on the side. Wearing one piece dresses is a big problem for carrying. There are very few good options in that case. Purse carry, coat pocket carry etc... are all fraught with off the body carry drawbacks. What it comes down to is that if you are a woman and you want to carry you have to adjust your wardrobe to the carry options that are available or rely on your man (and nowadays maybe your bull) to be able to protect you when you go somewhere dressed to the nines. Thigh holsters? Oh my.
    My wife has to do that on the few occasions she's wearing a dress and her carry purse just doesn't go with it. I usually stand to her left with two guns strapped, mine in a shoulder rig and hers on the right hip so she can grab it the instant crap hits the fan. It's not the best solution, but it works.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lexington View Post
    My wife has to do that on the few occasions she's wearing a dress and her carry purse just doesn't go with it. I usually stand to her left with two guns strapped, mine in a shoulder rig and hers on the right hip so she can grab it the instant crap hits the fan. It's not the best solution, but it works.
    Is she a leftie? It would *seem* to me that she should have *you* on *her* strong side in that arrangement, and you're less likely to elbow her in the face on the draw if she's on your left.

Interesting concept, though...

(Chester County)

If there was a place like this around it might make things easier.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.K View Post
    Is she a leftie? It would *seem* to me that she should have *you* on *her* strong side in that arrangement, and you're less likely to elbow her in the face on the draw if she's on your left.

Interesting concept, though...
    Yeah, it's not the best setup since she's right-handed, but I don't have have a left-handed holster for her pistol. And this is something that only happens once every couple of years or so. We don't go to too many functions.

I'm not sure how likely I am to elbow her while drawing from a shoulder holster, though. If I were going for a pistol on my hip, yeah, I'd end up smacking her. I can draw from the holster pretty tight, if I have to.

She just needs to get one of those sexy thigh holsters that are all the rage. Right, JenniferG?

(Chester County)

This might get a little racy but I'll say it anyway. You need two people to set up a shoulder rig initially. Make sure you do it with someone you don't mind touching you. Who knows it may turn into something more than fitting a shoulder rig.

Since I haven't worn a skirt that was above the knee for quite some time this holster might be a little hard to draw from. A pretty young lady fitting a thigh holster.

Thank you guys for the replies. She and I have a lot of shopping to do and hopefully she can try on a few and
    See what fits her best. Yes she has rather large endowmemts that may get in the way of holsters but we shall try what you guys suggested

This might get a little racy but I'll say it anyway. You need two people to set up a shoulder rig initially. Make sure you do it with someone you don't mind touching you. Who knows it may turn into something more than fitting a shoulder rig.

Since I haven't worn a skirt that was above the knee for quite some time this holster might be a little hard to draw from. A pretty young lady fitting a thigh holster.

Unfortunately/fortunately she enjoys wearing tight jeans. But I'll suggest to her that she wears more dresses

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast